Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Made some scratches/scuff in the clearcoat on my OB.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yikes, you used a napkin???

IMO, wet sanding seems a little excessive for what sounds like only minor marring. Just MHO, but I would sink that $40 into a PC and some polish and do it yourself. You have a BO G37, so you'll need these tools in your arsenal down the road anyways if you want to properly care for your paint. There is no better investment you will make than having the tools to do this stuff yourself.
+1... You will be able to do just as good of a job and you'll appreciate the investment in the equipment.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with speedracer and obsidian. I would get MENZERNA PO106FF or FINAL POLISH II and buff it out by hand using MF. Then wipe with pure water/alcohol 50/50 mix, then do your usual seal, wax, etc. PC/pads would be nice but it's expensive unless you want to take on DIY detailing.

HTH
Old 06-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Idaho siirto

Originally Posted by fkat
I agree with speedracer and obsidian. I would get MENZERNA PO106FF or FINAL POLISH II and buff it out by hand using MF. Then wipe with pure water/alcohol 50/50 mix, then do your usual seal, wax, etc. PC/pads would be nice but it's expensive unless you want to take on DIY detailing.

HTH
A reason not to take on one's own detailing? For me it was about being a little intimidated initially (unfounded fear of the clay bar & taking a machine to the car's finish...mostly).
The two stickys have been invaluable reading. Money spent on the PC 7424, pads, polish, sealant, wax, etc. not expensive at all relative to not paying someone else. In the course of a year, the x2 (maybe 3) full details plus maintenance routines more than cover initial expense.
Meeting my own expectations regarding results and never letting (let alone paying for) someone else wash or detail my car was well worth the time it took to get a basic education & the money to get set up.
/Greg and George @ DI have been great to deal with.

Last edited by Idaho siirto; 06-14-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:52 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow THANK U a ton. I ordered a PC 7424 from Detailed Image and am anxiously awaiting it. BTW George doesnt give us better prices than the published at the site does he?

I am going to try what you guys said. My swirls I made are so minor I should be able to fix it. I dunno what I would do without all you guys here at MyG37 who take time out to help your fellow G37 Drivers!!!! Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:53 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Wow THANK U a ton guys. I ordered a PC 7424 from Detailed Image and am anxiously awaiting it. BTW George doesnt give us better prices than the published at the site does he?

I am going to try what you guys said. My swirls I made are so minor I should be able to fix it. I dunno what I would do without all you guys here at MyG37 who take time out to help your fellow G37 Drivers!!!! Thanks again!

So to begin with would you guys just suggest I get Menzerna's PO106FF and Final Polish II with my PC 7424?

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 06-14-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

I'm glad you went with the PC, Joe. It will be well worth the money in the long run.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Wow THANK U a ton guys. I ordered a PC 7424 from Detailed Image and am anxiously awaiting it. BTW George doesnt give us better prices than the published at the site does he?

So to begin with would you guys just suggest I get Menzerna's PO106FF and Final Polish II with my PC 7424?
Good stuff Joe. I've been saying this for a long time now........the purchase of a PC is NOT a cost, it's an INVESTMENT. I am sure you'll see what I mean once you get it. Feel free to PM any questions you might have once you get it.

I am not sure how bad your paint surface is, but you can't go wrong using the 0106FF. You won't need to follow up with the Final Polish either.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:09 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Hi, I'm just speaking from my own experience and speaking to George at DI and few others. I wouldn't get both PO106FF AND FPII. From George I got IP and FPII along with orange and white pads. Since my scratches from the dealer was minor I used FPII/white pad (I imagine your napkin scratches are micro compared to mine). But I found that with FPII didn't have enough cut; I needed to do 2-3 times. So I got PO106FF. It feels and looks superior to FPII. The only thing is that it's a little more dusty for me.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Hi, I'm just speaking from my own experience and speaking to George at DI and few others. I wouldn't get both PO106FF AND FPII. From George I got IP and FPII along with orange and white pads. Since my scratches from the dealer was minor I used FPII/white pad (I imagine your napkin scratches are micro compared to mine). But I found that with FPII didn't have enough cut; I needed to do 2-3 times. So I got PO106FF. It feels and looks superior to FPII. The only thing is that it's a little more dusty for me.

Fudge I got both already so too late now and Im too lazy to do a return....Sounds like the the PO106FF is more effective for what I need I feel stupid for buying both. Maybe I can just use the FPII for normal polishing and just hit the heavy swirl or blemish areas with the PO106FF - given that I bought both would you just recommend that?

Question:
Im putting my PC 7424 together and...
Theres a little circular washer thingy on the backing plate like after u take off the rubber tip. Its like an off white gray color...does that stay on or do u take that off before attaching the backing plate to the PC?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
ObsidianGT

Fudge I got both already so too late now and Im too lazy to do a return....Sounds like the the PO106FF is more effective for what I need I feel stupid for buying both. Maybe I can just use the FPII for normal polishing and just hit the heavy swirl or blemish areas with the PO106FF - given that I bought both would you just recommend that?

Question:
Im putting my PC 7424 together and...
Theres a little circular washer thingy on the backing plate like after u take off the rubber tip. Its like an off white gray color...does that stay on or do u take that off before attaching the backing plate to the PC?
I think that's just a regular washer, nothing fancy. Probably gives it some stability or vibration reduction. If I remember correctly, I left it on the backing plate when I screwed it into the PC. That PC can really move and shake at the higher speed setting.

As for PO106FF, it's beautiful, but dusty--very dusty for me because I often overworked it trying to get deep swirls out (I'm a newb, what can I say?)

If you find that after using the PO106FF you still have some swirls or other imperfections, you may be needing more cut, perhaps from a heavier polish like Menzerna's SIP PO83. The Menzerna stuff is kinda pricey in comparison, though. The Super Swirl Remover 2 and 2.5 seem to be good choices that are less expensive (they're even mentioned in the sticky on this sub-forum).
Old 06-18-2008, 07:46 PM
ObsidianGT

Oh, and apparently FPII and PO106FF are similar types of polish. You might want to just put the FPII aside, maybe for when you do another car (maybe a friend's?)
Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by ObsidianGT
Oh, and apparently FPII and PO106FF are similar types of polish. You might want to just put the FPII aside, maybe for when you do another car (maybe a friend's?)
damn good call ill put the FPII aside for when i help my g/f detail her car or do i do the other cars at my house....we have a new IS250 at home too...thanks OB you're mad helpful....with the PO106FF and with intentions of removing swirls I should be using the orange pad at least correct?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 PM
ObsidianGT

damn good call ill put the FPII aside for when i help my g/f detail her car or do i do the other cars at my house....we have a new IS250 at home too...thanks OB you're mad helpful....with the PO106FF and with intentions of removing swirls I should be using the orange pad at least correct?
Well, when I first used PO106FF I used the white polishing pad. I think I should have probably used orange so I could have gotten more of the imperfections out (you can check my noob job thread). So I'd say yes. You're supposed to match the pad to the product, so it should be OK.

Heaviest to Lightest:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

I was just thinking about how glaze and wax are really going to make your car look beautiful. I remember how amazed I was when I finished my car.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 PM
fkat
Registered Member

with the PO106FF and with intentions of removing swirls I should be using the orange pad at least correct?
I wouldn't use the orange pad Joe. I use that for IP. For PO106FF stay with white and do 2 passes with a little more pressure maybe or 3 passes even. I'm speaking with our new car in mind. If you're doing older cars with deeper scratches on all surfaces then I would move to a polish with more cuts.

BTW, I have FPII and 106FF as well. I bought FPII first and George (DI) was nice enought to give me a big bottle since the 16oz was on back order. So I have that put aside as well like OB said.

Do you guys find this car attracts more dust than other black cars? If I leave it at work for 1 day it accumulates so much dust, pollen, etc and I have to wipe the car down on a daily basis.

Should have gotten AB or something... but ABSOLUTELY LOVE BO though
Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
ObsidianGT

Do you guys find this car attracts more dust than other black cars? If I leave it at work for 1 day it accumulates so much dust, pollen, etc and I have to wipe the car down on a daily basis.

Should have gotten AB or something... but ABSOLUTELY LOVE BO though
I don't really see how it would be possible for this black to attract more dust than other black. I would agree that this car shows more dust than others, possibly because it's a very flat black with no metallic flakes in the coat.

Quick Reply: Made some scratches/scuff in the clearcoat on my OB.