Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

venting about scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 AM
nwryuber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venting about scratches?

maybe i just need to vent and i'll feel better.

every time i wash my G there are just MORE AND MORE SCRATCHES!

it just aggravates the crap outta me! what are you supposed to do? Have it repainted once a year?

i cant imagine it in a year from now.

mine is red, and the spider scrates show up but there are just other scratches on it as well. i don't think i ever want to wash it again.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:24 AM
The1andOnly

I think it might be the way you wash it and the equipment/materials you use.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by The1andOnly
I think it might be the way you wash it and the equipment/materials you use.
true that, what are you using?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 AM
LAG37

meguirs polish
cop that
Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 AM
nwryuber

im just using a microfiber towell and soap and water to wash. i've put wax on it twice, i've had it about 4 mo's. been hard til recently with the bad weater and snow.

I went through the carwash today, but i washed the car myself. it was just a lot easier with the soap and pressure washer being ready to use. i used the soft brush on it, and i always check it before i use it to make sure the brissles are soft and nothing's stuck up in it.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 AM
nwryuber

if i polish it, should that take away a lot of the spider scratches and such?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by nwryuber
if i polish it, should that take away a lot of the spider scratches and such?
Well to be honest, Infiniti's are notorious for their soft paint. Scratch that, NIssan is notorious for their soft paint which includes Infiniti's. Wax the hell out of it and keep it waxed. Don't skimp out on the wax either. Pay for the good stuff. Scratches are inevitable with the soft paint of the G's.

Where are you seeing the scratches?? Front bumper, door handles???
Old 06-06-2008, 02:36 AM
RhiNoKiLL

make sure when you wash it with towels that ur car is soaked and so is the towel. Also tocuh the surface to see if its conplrty smooth if not clay bar it. When I wax u should use a hand sponge and try tondo inside even specs can stratch ur car and wen u wash dry rinse dry wax etc use new towels done use same ones sorry for crap grammar and spelling I'm on itouch
Old 06-06-2008, 04:31 AM
dannbla
LA G Club

Did anyone try the Nu Finish scratch remover. Just started seeing commercials for it. They say it's for swirl marks as well.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Check out the detailing section... seem like you need to improve upon your wash practices.... i.e. 2-bucket wash system, products used, process (top to bottom), etc.

Please check that info out and post back with any specific questions. Black and red are definitely your hardest colors to maintain, but it is doable. It just takes some work.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Jerry

I would never use any kind of brush on my car. "Soft" or not.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
xeddyboi420x

i use that 2-bucket wash system from top to bottom and yet i still see excessive scratching behind my door handles... could that be caused by my washing w/ microfiber mit OR that one time i took the car to inifiniti for an oil change and THEY washed it when i specifically told them not to...
Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nwryuber
im just using a microfiber towell and soap and water to wash. i've put wax on it twice, i've had it about 4 mo's. been hard til recently with the bad weater and snow.

I went through the carwash today, but i washed the car myself. it was just a lot easier with the soap and pressure washer being ready to use. i used the soft brush on it, and i always check it before i use it to make sure the brissles are soft and nothing's stuck up in it.
No offense, but it doesn't surprise me you have scratches and spider webbing after only 4 months. You've really got to learn some better washing habits to reduce paint imperfections.

1. Don't use an MF towel to wash your car. Use a good quality 100% Sheepskin Mitt to wash and a Waffle Weave drying towel to dry.
2. Use a two bucket system when washing and also use a grit guard.

3. Never never never never use a brush to wash your car. I can't stress this enough.

Learning and practicing PROPER washing techniques is 90% of the battle when maintaining a proper paint finish.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 PM
eschiller

Try going to DetailedImage.com. They have some threads on this forum. I bought some Full Molecular Jacket paint sealer and P21s Carnuba Wax from them. The combination worked wonders on all three of my cars. I have a 65' Mustang that I had painted about 2 years ago. The paint job was excellant, but the idiots immediately F**cked it up dry wiping it down over and over in a dusty/gritty warehouse causing swirls and scratches throughout. I used a claybar on it - got all of the grime and swirls out and put the FMJ Sealant then waxed it with P21s Wax. I swear it's like looking at a mirror. Not a swirl or scratch to be found. I did the same to my wifes 04 Red G35 and my new IP G37s and so far so good. Like the previous post mentioned - stay away from any type of brush - just asking for trouble (i.e. scratches). Here a pict of my ole 65' (Classis muscle for the weekends and High Powered Tech for the week) Good luck with your car - just do some research and don't be afraid to spend a litte extra for quality products - you won't be disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails venting about scratches?-106-0692_img.jpg  

Last edited by eschiller; 06-06-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eschiller
Try going to DetailedImage.com. They have some threads on this forum. I bought some Full Molecular Jacket paint sealer and P21s Carnuba Wax from them. The combination worked wonders on all three of my cars. I have a 65' Mustang that I had painted about 2 years ago. The paint job was excellant, but the idiots immediately F**cked it up dry wiping it down over and over in a dusty/gritty warehouse causing swirls and scratches throughout. I used a claybar on it - got all of the grime and swirls out and put the FMJ Sealant then waxed it with P21s Wax. I swear it's like looking at a mirror. Not a swirl or scratch to be found. I did the same to my wifes 04 Red G35 and my new IP G37s and so far so good. Like the previous post mentioned - stay away from any type of brush - just asking for trouble (i.e. scratches). Here a pict of my ole 65' (Classis muscle for the weekends and High Powered Tech for the week) Good luck with your car - just do some research and don't be afraid to spend a litte extra for quality products - you won't be disappointed.
Just an FYI, claybar won't remove any scratches, swirl marks, etc from your paint. It only removes surface contamination and that's it. An abrassive compound is required to remove any paint imperfections.

Btw, sweet looking 65! I come from a Mustang family myself.

Quick Reply: venting about scratches?