Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

venting about scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 AM
eschiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it depends on how deep the swirl marks / scratches are in your paint. Using the Claybar did an excellant job on the Mustang and my wifes 4 year old G. But your right if he's got deep swirls/scratches he will need to dig a little deeper into the paint to remove them. Thanks on the mustang - my Grandmother bought it used in 1970 and I got it in 88' when she passed - been a long slow restore process ever since.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Dipstix6996

I just bought a 08 Ivory white G37S like 1 1/2 weeks ago and I've noticed that bugs and bird crap stain the paint. It's not like it's left on there for days or weeks either...WTF!!! I've never had a white car that gets stained by such things. Any one have any suggestions???

Last edited by Dipstix6996; 06-24-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dipstix6996
I just bought a 08 Ivory white G37S like 1 1/2 weeks ago and I've noticed that bugs and bird crap stain the paint. It's not like it's left on there for days or weeks either...WTF!!! I've never had a white car that gets stained by such things. Any one have any suggestions???
A clay bar along with some light polish should take care of that for you. Then top with Migliore, of course .
Old 06-16-2008, 01:24 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nwryuber
im just using a microfiber towell and soap and water to wash. i've put wax on it twice, i've had it about 4 mo's. been hard til recently with the bad weater and snow.

I went through the carwash today, but i washed the car myself. it was just a lot easier with the soap and pressure washer being ready to use. i used the soft brush on it, and i always check it before i use it to make sure the brissles are soft and nothing's stuck up in it.
like someone said earlier...that's a no no

but i know what u mean...last 2 times i've been lazy.....i took my car to one of those car washes where u put coins in and wash urself...i just dont use their brushes...i brought my own bucket, sheep mitt, mf towels

i like using their water pressure washer and being under the shade..
this is what i do:

1. rinse
2. soap and let it sit on the car for a few mins
3. rinse
4. soap then go over my car with the sheep mitt(of course using my bucket with water to shake the mitt every so often)
5. rinse
6. dry (mf towels or waffle weave)

^that prolly cost me about $1.50 or $2.25...it costs 75cents for 3mins where i go

Last edited by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[; 06-16-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 AM
ObsidianGT

Originally Posted by nwryuber
maybe i just need to vent and i'll feel better.

every time i wash my G there are just MORE AND MORE SCRATCHES!

it just aggravates the crap outta me! what are you supposed to do? Have it repainted once a year?

i cant imagine it in a year from now.

mine is red, and the spider scrates show up but there are just other scratches on it as well. i don't think i ever want to wash it again.
If it's bad, you may want to consider detailing your car and then using proper washing techniques from here forward. If you've been using brushes on your car, chances are you're at the point where you need to have your paint polished pretty heavily.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Dipstix6996

Originally Posted by Don@Migliore
A clay bar along with some light polish should take care of that for you. Then top with Migliore, of course .
I was thinking clay bar, so clay bar here I come. I asked the dealership about it and they told me to go to a professional detail shop. here is some really good info about car care if you have the time to watch it.

http://www.auto-geek.net/video/pinnacle/Pinnacle.html
Old 06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
ObsidianGT

I was thinking clay bar, so clay bar here I come. I asked the dealership about it and they told me to go to a professional detail shop. here is some really good info about car care if you have the time to watch it.

http://www.auto-geek.net/video/pinnacle/Pinnacle.html
Clay gets it clean. Polish and glaze gets it beautiful. Sealant and wax gets it protected AND shiny.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Dipstix6996

Disregard

Last edited by Dipstix6996; 06-24-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 AM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive actually noticed the lil scratches as well, and they are the scratches from washing it!!

i use meguiars cleaner wax or wax..

what i do i rinse it off spray it with my hose, the misty level nothing strong and then wipe it down with a mf towel, then i get right to the meguiars either cleaner wax or plain wax with the applyier they provide..

maybe its time for a new applyier?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Dipstix6996

Disregard

Last edited by Dipstix6996; 06-24-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 AM
ObsidianGT

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Just an FYI, claybar won't remove any scratches, swirl marks, etc from your paint. It only removes surface contamination and that's it. An abrassive compound is required to remove any paint imperfections.

Btw, sweet looking 65! I come from a Mustang family myself.
I tried the mothers clay bar with no luck. I am gonna try a complete detail this weekend and if that dont work...hello corporate Infiniti! This is just unacceptable for a new car.
Like Garnet Canuck already said, Clay Baring doesn't remove swirl marks...

If you're going to complain, you might want to get your facts straight. You don't want to come off like a crabby, senile old man:

Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 AM
Dipstix6996

Disregard

Old 06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
ObsidianGT

You obviously did not read my original post. I know a clay bar will not take out scratches! I'm not some new kid to the car world. I was simply asking for advice about a stain on my new (1 week old) car.
I read your post, and that's why I ended my first sentence with "..."

All of us G37 owners are in a similar situation, but some are taking, or at least trying to take, proper measures and responsibility--this sub-forum's existence provides merit to my argument. I'm trying to be objective here, but I'm also being realistic. What is corporate supposed to do? Admit that there's some sort of flaw in their paint and recall the cars? Or perhaps you're hoping to get the grease, Mr. Squeaky Wheel? That's what irks me the most.

You bought into a delicate situation which has a far more skewed ratio of TLC:Beauty. Your non-new-kid-to-the-car-world experience should be speaking volumes to you about this.

"You can't always get what you want..." (isn't that a great song?)

Congrats on your G.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Dipstix6996

Disregard

Old 06-18-2008, 06:32 PM
ObsidianGT

Why should I take responsibility for a possible defect? I am taking proper steps to resolve this problem before I make Infiniti aware. It's like the chain of command, or the IT world; Solve problems at the lowest level first. That is what I am trying to accomplish. If there is a flaw, and I found out about it, I would bring light to the situation so other members can take appropriate actions. I guess when I spend 40K on a car, I should get what I want!!!
There's no flaw in the paint. It is what it is. You're just going to have to either learn (or pay) to take care of it properly or deal with having imperfections in it. Another option would be to get a 2009 if it comes with the same self-healing paint like the EX.

And, once again;

"You can't always get what you want..."

Quick Reply: venting about scratches?