Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What is the best cleaner for Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
LeonC626

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best cleaner for Clear Bra?

Bird droppings, dirt residue, and hard water marks on my Clear Bra Hood. What can I use to get them off? I've tried clay, plastic polish and vineger, still doen't work. WTF do I need to do???
Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Clean with normal car wash soap when you wash your car. Do not use any bug removers or other cleaners. Following the wash and dry, clean/polish with Plexus. It is a plastic cleaner and conditioner.

George from DetailedImage carries it.

Link: http://www.detailedimage.com/Plexus-...otectant-P109/

Hook it up. It's the best there is.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
plexus is great or the black bottle instant retailer. Do not clay it. You will damage the protective coat on the clear bra
Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 AM
LeonC626

Thanks guys, I just ordered some Plexus, I'll let yall know how it goes. I hope it'll work.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Taktix1

Ive been using the plexus and it works great! A quick question though, what kind of wax can be used on the clear bra? I heard carnauba wax cant be used on it..is this correct?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

You can use wax on a ClearBra, however, it is not recommended you use any abrasives or other polishes that would normally be used to remove swirls or other paint imperfections.

I would also recommend you use some painters tape along the edges when waxing around Clear Bra. The excess that dries on the edge can be difficult to remove.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Blackjack
You can use wax on a ClearBra, however, it is not recommended you use any abrasives or other polishes that would normally be used to remove swirls or other paint imperfections.

I would also recommend you use some painters tape along the edges when waxing around Clear Bra. The excess that dries on the edge can be difficult to remove.
Thanks for the reply. So you can use wax on the clearbra but cant use things like swirl removers/sealants on it? Would it even make a difference to wax the clear bra then?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Taktix1
Thanks for the reply. So you can use wax on the clearbra but cant use things like swirl removers/sealants on it? Would it even make a difference to wax the clear bra then?
A sealant is fine. You just don't want to use an abrasive as it can dull the finish. The abrasive will essentially rub and dull the finish similar to using a brillo pad on something (not to that extreme though).

Clear Bra installers recommend you treat the film similar to paint so yes, wax it.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:26 PM
LeonC626

A sealant is fine. You just don't want to use an abrasive as it can dull the finish. The abrasive will essentially rub and dull the finish similar to using a brillo pad on something (not to that extreme though).

Clear Bra installers recommend you treat the film similar to paint so yes, wax it.
I tried every god damn thing out there! Sealant, plastic polish, Plexus, vinegar...Nothing is getting rid of hard water marks. Jesus! Any other recommendations out there?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LeonC626
I tried every god damn thing out there! Sealant, plastic polish, Plexus, vinegar...Nothing is getting rid of hard water marks. Jesus! Any other recommendations out there?
Hmmm.. Interesting. Never heard of anyone getting hard water spots on CB... Did you try a Clay Bar? Not sure if it would help, but worth a shot.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Taktix1

Hmmm.. Interesting. Never heard of anyone getting hard water spots on CB... Did you try a Clay Bar? Not sure if it would help, but worth a shot.
Sorry, I'm noob. Could you explain what you mean by abrasives? like examples?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Taktix1
Sorry, I'm noob. Could you explain what you mean by abrasives? like examples?
Sure. No worries. Some polishes, compounds, and swirl removers contain micro-abrasives that dull the sharp edges of scratches and swirls so they do not catch light. Part of the detailing process as it will smooth imperfections in the clear coat. If you feel these polishes with abrasives, they almost feel "gritty". While they work magic on a paint's clearcoat they do not do so well on a flexible film. They have the tendency to dull them over time.

Does that help?

Some examples of polishes with abrasives are:

1) Poorboys SSR Line
2) Menzerna PO106FF
3) 3M Perfect-It
4) There are many others... If they claim to remove swirls, it likely has an abrasive.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Raizon

I have a question about gloss polishing. After I install a clear bra on and gloss polish my car (Zaino products), will the area with the clear bra look different than the area I apply layers of gloss polishing? I'm afraid my car would look weird after polishing it because I can't polish the area with the clear bra.

Thanks in advance!
Rai
Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 PM
xref

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best way to get rid of bug stains/bird poop stains is with a heat gun. just be careful or you'll mess up the clear bra. that's what i used to get rid of the stains after my road trip to los angeles.

you can also use the heat gun to remove fine scratches on the bra.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
LeonC626

I used Plexus 5 times!!! It barely minimized the water marks. I'm about to take the clear bra off! Every time I look at my hood under sunlight, there're spots all over. It's ugly!

Quick Reply: What is the best cleaner for Clear Bra?