Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Leather Chamois or Microfiber Towel

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 AM
Acheron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Chamois or Microfiber Towel

Hey Guys,

So I was wondering if any of you had opinions on what would be best for drying a car off...a microfiber towel or a leather chamois? If one or the other, why? What's the main difference in the results you get from them? Could someone list the benefits and drawbacks of each?

I've always had beaters/cars I didn't care about before my G, so never really cared about maintaining the car in excellent condition. But now I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the products out there...any help with these two items?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always used a chamois up until last year when I switched to Waffle Weave Drying Towels. They do a MUCH better job than a chamois a chamois does. Pick up a couple of these and you'll be all set. Another trick to help dry your car is take the nozzle off the end of your hose and just hose your car down from top to bottom. The water will sheet right off your paint leaving much less water you need to wipe off.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
+1... Waffle Weave Micro Fiber FTW!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Acheron
Hey Guys,

So I was wondering if any of you had opinions on what would be best for drying a car off...a microfiber towel or a leather chamois? If one or the other, why? What's the main difference in the results you get from them? Could someone list the benefits and drawbacks of each?

I've always had beaters/cars I didn't care about before my G, so never really cared about maintaining the car in excellent condition. But now I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the products out there...any help with these two items?

Thanks!
The main difference between a chamois and a quality microfiber waffle weave towel is that the chamois is a flat surface and if there's any contamination left under the towel, you're just going to push it around the surface which will more than likely add swirls and scratches to the paint. A microfiber waffle weave drying towel is designed to have pockets (that look like waffles). This allows you to pull light contamination away from the surface while drying, to help minimize adding swirls and other imperfections to the paint.

If you have any other questions about detailing, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
IP37

waffle weave mf ftw
you can try giving the panel a squirt of quick detailer before you dry it too
Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 AM
BiskitG37

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I've always used a chamois up until last year when I switched to Waffle Weave Drying Towels. They do a MUCH better job than a chamois a chamois does. Pick up a couple of these and you'll be all set. Another trick to help dry your car is take the nozzle off the end of your hose and just hose your car down from top to bottom. The water will sheet right off your paint leaving much less water you need to wipe off.
The waffle weave towel works great - not too expensive either.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
xeddyboi420x

+1 waffle weave towel, just washed my car yesterday... crazy how much water that little thing holds!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Acheron

Well crap...guess I should go return this chamois and exchange for a waffle weave microfiber then

Thanks for all the info!

PS. I'm looking to get some Zaino products but can't seem to find it anywhere locally. Anyone have any suggestions on where to find their polish/washes? I checked your shop as well George, but either I'm a retard (very possible) or you don't seem to carry it either? Any reason why not?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Well crap...guess I should go return this chamois and exchange for a waffle weave microfiber then

Exactly, I still use a super outdated ABSORBER chamois. I have to upgrade because it takes too many passes to dry the entire car.

I'll be giving the waffle weave a whirl!!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the info!

PS. I'm looking to get some Zaino products but can't seem to find it anywhere locally. Anyone have any suggestions on where to find their polish/washes? I checked your shop as well George, but either I'm a retard (very possible) or you don't seem to carry it either? Any reason why not?
Zaino products aren't sold locally and are only available directly through Zaino. You'll need to purchase them through http://www.zainostore.com/. Also as a heads up, Zaino calls of their sealants polishes for some unknown reason. They only have one true polish, which is Z-PC. Z5, Z3, and Z2 are all sealants.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:54 AM
Acheron

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Zaino products aren't sold locally and are only available directly through Zaino. You'll need to purchase them through http://www.zainostore.com/. Also as a heads up, Zaino calls of their sealants polishes for some unknown reason. They only have one true polish, which is Z-PC. Z5, Z3, and Z2 are all sealants.
Ahh I see. Good info...thanks!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
wuuuuuuuu

I just ordered one waffle weave towel from DI.com and i was wondering if i can reuse it in the future? Do i just throw it in the washer/dryer then use it for future car washes? Thankss
Old 06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sKip2myWu
I just ordered one waffle weave towel from DI.com and i was wondering if i can reuse it in the future? Do i just throw it in the washer/dryer then use it for future car washes? Thankss
Wash in washer alone only with other MF with only basic detergent. No stuff with softener or any of that stuff. Dryin in dryer only with other MF without a dryer or anti-static sheets. It will ruin your MF.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 PM
lowrider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm an old guy, and ever since my kids were little (45 years ago) I have used cloth diapers. I still have their old diapers, and I still use them. The cloth diapers of today, if you can find them, are not as cushy soft, thick or as lint free as the old one's were. I still have plenty to keep me for the rest of my life

Lou
Old 06-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lowrider
I'm an old guy, and ever since my kids were little (45 years ago) I have used cloth diapers. I still have their old diapers, and I still use them. The cloth diapers of today, if you can find them, are not as cushy soft, thick or as lint free as the old one's were. I still have plenty to keep me for the rest of my life

Lou
WTF? Used diapers?

haha... jk. I know what you're talkin about.

Quick Reply: Leather Chamois or Microfiber Towel