Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Paint scratches EASY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:55 PM
VAULTMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Paint scratches EASY!

I have a black G37 and love it! Only complaint is that the paint scratches so easily. I was using the microfiber cloths that I use on my wife's grey car to dry off my G37 and noticed it was actually putting scratches on the car. I have finally found extremely soft/non abrasive cloths that don't scratch it. Is anyone else having the same problem with their black or non black G?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
G-WIZ KID

YEEEESSSSSS!!!!. I hate it! Infiniti black just seems like it does not hold up. Next car will have to have metallic base in it. Hides the scratches and swirls more.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's the downside of OB. I try not to worry too much about the inevitable scratches. A pro detail twice a year works for me.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try a terry cloth, i didnt think microfiber would have scratched it.. how many times u use it? did it ever touch the ground?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like it touched the ground to me... Terry clothes work good just make sure there very clean.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you got ot make sure the microfiber is clean and soft. i think the best thing is to get it re-clearcoated from a reputable body shop. taht would make it more durable i think
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Originally Posted by Callaway
it's the downside of OB. I try not to worry too much about the inevitable scratches. A pro detail twice a year works for me.
+1

you got ot make sure the microfiber is clean and soft. i think the best thing is to get it re-clearcoated from a reputable body shop. taht would make it more durable i think
+1
It's about all you can do in the long run.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
GiGGaplease

i have swirls and scratches all over my car. hopefully when i polish and wax it this afternoon, some of them will go away..
Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by solopresident
so u can add another layer of clearcoat to a car? would the luster or shine be affected in the plus or negative? APPROX how much u think it would cost to add clear coat to the WHOLE car??
Old 03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i have to agree my 03 350Z and now my 08 G are getting scratches...paint is teh sux0redz...
Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VAULTMAN
I have a black G37 and love it! Only complaint is that the paint scratches so easily. I was using the microfiber cloths that I use on my wife's grey car to dry off my G37 and noticed it was actually putting scratches on the car. I have finally found extremely soft/non abrasive cloths that don't scratch it. Is anyone else having the same problem with their black or non black G?
Sounds like you need to get yourself some new good quality MF towels.

One other thing to note is that you don't incur light scratches and swirls any easier on BO than you do any other color.........it's just that BO shows them much easier being a darker color. If you put a halogen lamp on an IP G37, you'd see the same thing.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My trunk looked like a 747 landed on it. Picked up a Porter Cable (PC) random buffer advanced kit from Detailed images, Menzerna ceramic polish, Glaze and Poorboys EX-P selant. Spent an hour checking out the many PC videos online and took care of that problem in a day. It's not that hard to do your own car, just need to make sure you mask off the trim, sealant can be a pain to get off trim. The sealant seems to makes it a lot easier to maintain the car and not scratch the clear coat.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 PM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

All micro fiber towels are not created equal. Some can and will scratch your car. I've used Meguiars with no problems, but some of the cheaper brands may cause scratches and swirls. Try using 100% cotton white bath towels made in the USA. This is what Zaino recommends...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Degenerazn

Welcome to the club. My car looks beat up in the sun. I even found some water spots yesterday as I was washing the car that won't wash off! It seemed either to be etched into the paint or under the coat of wax.

Luckily, where I live there isn't much sun so you don't notice it as much.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Falcon124

I feel your pain bro. I'm with HB4LTHR. 100% cotton clean white towels with the tags removed are the only cloths I use on my OB G37. Zaino Z-5 to remove swirls. Another thing, it doesn't take much pressure on the applicator to lay the wax or on the towel to buff. And keep plenty of clean towels and applicators on hand. If it gets dirty, replace it with a clean one. It's amazing how just a little smudge of dirt can go a long way in scratching the hell out of a black car.

Quick Reply: Paint scratches EASY!