Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Paint scratches EASY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcon124
I feel your pain bro. I'm with HB4LTHR. 100% cotton clean white towels with the tags removed are the only cloths I use on my OB G37. Zaino Z-5 to remove swirls. Another thing, it doesn't take much pressure on the applicator to lay the wax or on the towel to buff. And keep plenty of clean towels and applicators on hand. If it gets dirty, replace it with a clean one. It's amazing how just a little smudge of dirt can go a long way in scratching the hell out of a black car.
Just as an FYI, Z5 does NOT remove any light scratches and swirls. It merely attempts to fill them in. Z5 is one of my favorite sealants, but I don't use it remove paint imperfections......that's what a polish is for.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Falcon124

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z5 does NOT remove any light scratches and swirls. It merely attempts to fill them in.
I stand corrected. By filling in the grooves of small swirls in the clear coat however, it effectively makes them disappear. So what polish do you use to remove paint imperfections?

Last edited by Falcon124; 03-28-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't quote me on this, but i believe they sand down your existing clear coat and then re-apply a better, stronger and more durable one to it.

Again, want to call a reputable shop bc if they mess up it could then mrean a whole new paint job.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Falcon124
I stand corrected. By filling in the grooves of small swirls in the clear coat however, it effectively makes them disappear. So what polish do you use to remove paint imperfections?
Actually, I wouldn't say it "effectively" fills them in either. I am a big advocate of Z5, as it's a VERY durable sealant, but if you are using it for the sole purpose of hiding swirl marks, you'll be very disappointed.

As for your question on polish, there are a variety of great polishes on the market that work well. The polish you choose will depend on the condition of your paint as some are more abbrasive than others. The best overall polish I've used is Menzerna's P0106FF. The Poorboys SSR lineup is also good.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by solopresident
Don't quote me on this, but i believe they sand down your existing clear coat and then re-apply a better, stronger and more durable one to it.

Again, want to call a reputable shop bc if they mess up it could then mrean a whole new paint job.
Wetsanding is typically a last resort. Using an abrassive polish with an orbital buffer like a Porter Cable 7424 will remove a very thin layer of clear coat and remove most light scratches and swirls.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 PM
LAG37

agreed. paint scratches way to easy!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Deviant

I'd try and not do any major polishing so frequently through out the year. It does remove a very small amount of clear from your car and over time it may have a negative impact. What you want to do is just preventative maintenance. Using quality microfiber towels, using a good car wash that will encapsulate the dirt and other particles and safely remove them without scratching the paint, and using a quick detail spray to do the same in between washes (providing the car is clean - mildly dirty). I wouldn't attempt to use a QD over a dirty surface as it won't provide the necessary lubrication to remove dirt safely.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Deviant
I'd try and not do any major polishing so frequently through out the year. It does remove a very small amount of clear from your car and over time it may have a negative impact. What you want to do is just preventative maintenance. Using quality microfiber towels, using a good car wash that will encapsulate the dirt and other particles and safely remove them without scratching the paint, and using a quick detail spray to do the same in between washes (providing the car is clean - mildly dirty). I wouldn't attempt to use a QD over a dirty surface as it won't provide the necessary lubrication to remove dirt safely.
You can compound your car twice a year for well over 20 years before you would remove the clear coat.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Deviant

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
You can compound your car twice a year for well over 20 years before you would remove the clear coat.
Really? Hrm.. well in that case
Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Deviant
Really? Hrm.. well in that case
Yep, seriously.

You are correct in that polishing does remove a thin layer of clear coat, it just takes a lot of polishing to completely remove it. I posted this a month or two ago. https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...41&postcount=5
Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
speakin of clear coat guys....is it possible to take our cars to a reputable shop and have them do THE WHOLE thing over with another layer of premium and stronger clear coat that perhaps does not scratch as easy or possibly even some "self-healing" stuff (though I dunno if the magic of self healing paint that Infiniti uses is in the clear coat I would assume so)

Is a process like that possible, practical? I mean I understand that it would cost a lot but I would be willing to pay up to $1,000 or so for it. But I suppose if clear bra-ing half your car costs that much - clear coating it must be much more. *sigh*

Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
speakin of clear coat guys....is it possible to take our cars to a reputable shop and have them do THE WHOLE thing over with another layer of premium and stronger clear coat that perhaps does not scratch as easy or possibly even some "self-healing" stuff (though I dunno if the magic of self healing paint that Infiniti uses is in the clear coat I would assume so)

Is a process like that possible, practical? I mean I understand that it would cost a lot but I would be willing to pay up to $1,000 or so for it. But I suppose if clear bra-ing half your car costs that much - clear coating it must be much more. *sigh*

Thoughts?
No matter what kind of clear coat you put on, your paint is still going to scratch and swirl. Harder clear coats might withstand come "minor" imperfections a little better, but the downside is once they scratch or swirl, it's much harder to remove. Harder clear coats, like on a Corvette or early 2000 Audi, even with a PC you won't budge many imperfections without countless hours of polishing. At that point, you'd want to invest in a Flex or a Rotary or you'll be paying a pro lots of money to fully correct the finish. There's no great answer other than properly maintaining your vehicle on a regular basis. Unless you plan on spending upwards around $10k or more, I wouldn't bother repainting a vehicle. It usually creates more problems than it does good and usually brings down the value of your vehicle.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
No matter what kind of clear coat you put on, your paint is still going to scratch and swirl. Harder clear coats might withstand come "minor" imperfections a little better, but the downside is once they scratch or swirl, it's much harder to remove. Harder clear coats, like on a Corvette or early 2000 Audi, even with a PC you won't budge many imperfections without countless hours of polishing. At that point, you'd want to invest in a Flex or a Rotary or you'll be paying a pro lots of money to fully correct the finish. There's no great answer other than properly maintaining your vehicle on a regular basis. Unless you plan on spending upwards around $10k or more, I wouldn't bother repainting a vehicle. It usually creates more problems than it does good and usually brings down the value of your vehicle.
I can vouch for that George. A customer's 2002 Vette that I detailed last summer had an unbelievably hard clear coat.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:21 PM
kellycm2

I just used Meguiars ScratchX on my LP and it did a pretty good job of getting rid of the light scratches and swirls for about $6. It got a couple out that I did not expect.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Deviant

Personally I'd rather have a mild or semi soft clear coat. As stated having a hard clear coat will reduce scratches and swirls, however when you do get thm it's a major PITA to remove em!

ScratchX is good for spot removal, however I wouldn't even think of using it on my whole car. For the avid person wanting to keep their car in good shape a Dual Action Polisher is a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by Deviant; 04-05-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Paint scratches EASY!