Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Best way to remove dust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Degenerazn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to remove dust?

I was damn near heart broken when I saw my car in the sun today after washing it last night. The swirl marks stand out like crazy. My car gets really dusty where I live and where I park at work. What is the absolute best way to remove dust off the car w/out stratching it? I thought a thorough rinse w/ a hose would do the job but obviously not. I saw a dust remover brush at walmart for $6 but I don't really trust it to work w/out damaging the paint. Any suggestions?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meguiars Quick Detailer, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN microfiber towel (2-3) if you clean like me and some TLC.

What i do is mist the portion of the car i want to start on ( i kind of use a lot), then I will take a new orlike new microfiber towel and fold it into 4's. I will use one side to get all the heavy dirt off and will touch the car very lightly, then i will flip it over and wipe it down one more time softly to remove any dirt i missed, then i flip it one more time to a super clean part and buff it to a dry shine.

I am the most **** guy i know, IMO, and have tried to learn what I can do to prevent scratching the clean. Also, make sure that the car always has a nice thick layer of wax on it at all times. That will help keeping the swirl marks down. I am not a pro by any means, but you can contact the guys at Meguiars for help. They have an 800# on the back of all of their products for tech help.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Degenerazn

So mist, wipe down w/ MF towel, then spray car and wash w/ sheepskin Mit?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
johng35m

just give the car a wash. never use a car duster for future reference!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Degenerazn

Originally Posted by johng35m
just give the car a wash. never use a car duster for future reference!
that doesn't solve my dust problem
Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

California Dusters are the worst.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:03 PM
sahiwal007

^ yea they always leave wax streak marks
Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Dusters are bad b/c once they collect the dust they don't let it out. so you just keep collecting dust and rubbing it on your car. Not the smartest thing. I hate seeing collectors do it with thier 100K plus classic, but OHHhhhhh well right? sometimes i try to explain to them why tis bad but they never listen much.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Orbie

I'm not sure how you guys are using the duster, but I've been using the California duster for a long time and it does none of the things described here. In fact the only thing it does is remove all the dust plus leave no scratch or wax marks. I'm very very **** with my paint too so it's not that I don't check either.

I hope you guys aren't using the duster when the surface of the car is hot or warm either, the surface should be cool so that the dust can be lifted off easily and the wax on the fibers of the duster don't leave marks. I also hope you guys aren't using the duster for anything but light dust, the biggest mistake I see people make when using the duster is that they use it on the car when there is more on the paint than simple dust (road grime, grit and dirt etc) and then they wonder why scratches or swirls are left behind.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:05 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Orbie
I'm not sure how you guys are using the duster, but I've been using the California duster for a long time and it does none of the things described here. In fact the only thing it does is remove all the dust plus leave no scratch or wax marks. I'm very very **** with my paint too so it's not that I don't check either.

I hope you guys aren't using the duster when the surface of the car is hot or warm either, the surface should be cool so that the dust can be lifted off easily and the wax on the fibers of the duster don't leave marks. I also hope you guys aren't using the duster for anything but light dust, the biggest mistake I see people make when using the duster is that they use it on the car when there is more on the paint than simple dust (road grime, grit and dirt etc) and then they wonder why scratches or swirls are left behind.
Same here Orbie i use it on my Maxima G37 and my 67 comet cyclone. The last one is my baby and nothing touches that that could hurt it. Proper use is the key. It is really good for removing pollen.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:54 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

well, i guess im just assuming that most people are not into their cars like you and I and will use it right after a major dust storm in the heat.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

I'm confused... I've read very good things about the California Duster. So are most of you guys saying, don't use it at all? Or are you guys saying only use it when the car is basically clean, but with light dust when the car is cold?

The Cal duster seams perfect for me, but I don't want to get more swirl marks then I already have.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

for me i stay away at all times.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:31 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaf Blower.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:31 PM
solopresident