Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

leather cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 AM
gno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather cleaning

whats a good approach for cleaning the seats? I my self use ArmorAll leather wipes ( and use the cleaning wipe[not the protector since its too shiny and collects so much dust] for the dash and etc.)its not bad and the end result is pretty nice. does anyone have any long term experience with the leather wipes? good/ bad? i used it once so i wouldnt mind having stop using it before its too late.

thx
Old 11-12-2007, 02:27 AM
IP37

i use zaino cleaner / conditioner or sonus conditioner

never used the wipes, so i dunno about them
Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i use lexol...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 AM
GSpot37

The best two products

Lexol!!!!!! Orange bottle.

Now if you want the BEST!!!!!!!.

Go to
http://www.leatherique.com/

Cesar
Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
3des

Another vote for Zaino. Very high quality products.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:42 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GSpot37
Lexol!!!!!! Orange bottle.

Now if you want the BEST!!!!!!!.

Go to
http://www.leatherique.com/

Cesar
I have both Leatherique and Zaino... here's my impression of both:

Cleaning/Conditioning: I'll take Leatherique for intensive cleaning. For easy wipes, I'd use the Zaino. One thing that I did notice, the Leatherique leaves the leather supple, and my @$$ doesn't skid across it like with the Zaino. I would have to say cleaning power wise, the Zaino doesn't hold a candle to Leatherique. Same for the conditioner.

Leatherique application is a little counterintuitive... you use the conditioner/oil before and then the cleaner.

Scent: It's a matter of preference I suppose, and each product has its own distinctive smell. Leatherique seems to have a more natural smell, as opposed to Zaino who uses a more industrial leather smell. Overall, if you want a stronger smell (if you're trying to cover something up), go for Zaino.

Shine: For some reason I tend to believe Leatherique leaves a nicer shine. It might have something to do with the fact that the conditioner gets applied first and it gets absorbed into the leather a little better than the Zaino... thus is able to stay there for longer...

Price: It's been a while since I purchased the Leatherique. I originally bought the gallon jugs, and I still have about 1/2 way to go after 4 years of owning it. I'm not really sure what the price per ounce is... but I'm sure Leatherique is more expensive...

Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by marsb007
I have both Leatherique and Zaino... here's my impression of both:

Cleaning/Conditioning: I'll take Leatherique for intensive cleaning. For easy wipes, I'd use the Zaino. One thing that I did notice, the Leatherique leaves the leather supple, and my @$$ doesn't skid across it like with the Zaino. I would have to say cleaning power wise, the Zaino doesn't hold a candle to Leatherique. Same for the conditioner.

Leatherique application is a little counterintuitive... you use the conditioner/oil before and then the cleaner.

Scent: It's a matter of preference I suppose, and each product has its own distinctive smell. Leatherique seems to have a more natural smell, as opposed to Zaino who uses a more industrial leather smell. Overall, if you want a stronger smell (if you're trying to cover something up), go for Zaino.

Shine: For some reason I tend to believe Leatherique leaves a nicer shine. It might have something to do with the fact that the conditioner gets applied first and it gets absorbed into the leather a little better than the Zaino... thus is able to stay there for longer...

Price: It's been a while since I purchased the Leatherique. I originally bought the gallon jugs, and I still have about 1/2 way to go after 4 years of owning it. I'm not really sure what the price per ounce is... but I'm sure Leatherique is more expensive...

Hope this helps.
Great comparison marsb007, thank you for taking the time to review these products in thorough detail.

I have a very similar approach for leather care. I think hands down for deep conditioning and cleaning, Leatherique can be argued to be one of the best, if not the best, leather care products available. For regular maintenance, I turn to Poorboy's World Leather Stuff. It's a simple 1 step product that cleans, conditions and UV protects. I would label the Zaino leather products more of a maintenance product, like the Poorboy's.

Routine wise, I try to use Leatherique twice a year, during my Spring and Fall details and maintain every month or two with the Poorboy's Leather Stuff.

I think this routine provides excellent results and will keep your leather looking newer, longer.

George
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM
O NO

Believe it or not Woolite does a fantastic job on the leather.
Alot of the 35 boyz have been using it for sometime.
I use it on my rolling toilet (lol) wheat and it gets the job done. Mix it 1 part to 6-8 parts water, you're good to go.

Bottom line, use what you feel compfortable with.

Remember... right hand on.... left hand off... oh that's for the wax...
Old 11-14-2007, 07:27 AM
gno

thanx for all the info fellas, as far as the routine for th zaino, how often should i use it. i clean the G once a week sometimes twice dependin on usage. not much traffic goes on in the interior. so is this like a "when u think its dirty" type of routine or is weekly playin it safe.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
3des

I'd say once a month at least then as needed. I followed that routine in a TA that I bought in '99 and just sold a few months ago. The interior was in great condition almost a decade later. I might check out this Leatherique stuff too tho.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had great success with Lexol.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM
iko

I've used Lexol for years with great results. Be sure to use the cleaner and conditioner.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:02 AM
gno

would i find the lexol at a commercial store or is it an online purchase product. i stopped at autozone today and couldnt find it, i guess ill try pepboys tomorow
Old 11-20-2007, 09:07 AM
iko

pretty sure I saw it at pepboys the other day
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by gno
would i find the lexol at a commercial store or is it an online purchase product. i stopped at autozone today and couldnt find it, i guess ill try pepboys tomorow
Most automotive places, like Pepboys, stock Lexol. I think even Target or Walmart may too. If you can't find it anywhere, we sell Lexol as well and you'd get your 10% off of course.

It's a great product.

George

Quick Reply: leather cleaning