Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Can't wash my G! Mandatory water restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM
chocoholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wash my G! Mandatory water restrictions

My area just announced mandatory water restrictions due to extremely low water resevoir levels. I can't hand wash my car for the foreseeable future! I'll use quick detailer to treat areas that need it, but I don't want to go thru car washes. Bummer. I'll have to figure something out...
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Ghost Light

What area are you in??

What about a coin op car wash?? Just dont use the brush they have. I usually just spray it down with soap and use my own wash mitt to clean the car, then rinse.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:19 PM
chocoholic

DC area, specifically Loudoun co VA. I have no idea where one of those type of car washes is, but I'll have to find one! Good idea, thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 06:37 PM
IP37

We've been on water restriction here for a while now. I think we get to water two days a week, between midnight and 7 in the morning or some crap like that.. it sucks
Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am on my own well, so it's hard to imagine being on a water restriction so I couldn't wash my car.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I am on my own well, so it's hard to imagine being on a water restriction so I couldn't wash my car.
so am I... however that doesn't matter and you still can be fined. The reasoning is that you're still drawing water from the aquifer... the same water which goes into lakes, ponds, etc... sources the city uses to process water from...

Therefore, although you may have your own well, it doesn't matter, and the restrictions still apply. Check with your local govt, or some website which posts the restrictions. I'm sure they point that fact out. I'm in Florida and we had the exact same thing happen...

Just wash your car on those days when you are allowed...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by chocoholic
My area just announced mandatory water restrictions due to extremely low water resevoir levels. I can't hand wash my car for the foreseeable future! I'll use quick detailer to treat areas that need it, but I don't want to go thru car washes. Bummer. I'll have to figure something out...
If you keep up with it regularly (every couple days) with the Poorboy's Spray & Wipe to remove the light dusting that accumulates, you can use that as a waterless wash. It won't remove major contamination but it can help keep your vehicle looking fresh until you can properly wash it by hand.

Another possible option would be to use a waterless wash that is more like a typical hand wash. A good example would be Optimum No-Rinse. Basically you'd only need water in the buckets, but no running water. You could fill the bucket when you do not have the restriction and keep it sealed and ready to go, or simply buy a few gallons of distilled water locally.

If you have any questions on anything, let me know.

George
Old 10-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Orbie

Originally Posted by Detailed Image

Another possible option would be to use a waterless wash that is more like a typical hand wash. A good example would be Optimum No-Rinse. Basically you'd only need water in the buckets, but no running water. You could fill the bucket when you do not have the restriction and keep it sealed and ready to go, or simply buy a few gallons of distilled water locally.

If you have any questions on anything, let me know.

George
Agreed, ONR solves all your problems. It is illegal to wash your car on your property unless you have proper drainage treatment of water from your storm drain where I live (the city only treats sewage not the water going down storm drains, with the exception of Car wash facilities). So anyone hand washing on their driveway with more then water gets a huge fine. I've been using ONR for a few years now and it is an amazing product. No hose and soap everywhere, biodegradable, all you need is microfiber towels. I just fill two buckets with tap water, bring it into the garage and put ONR in one, do the entire car with a few microfiber towels and I'm done. It takes half the time it used to, you guys should look into it. I'll admit it takes you a long time to get over the strange feeling of just wiping your car with a wet towel, feels like your scratching the living **** out of your paint, but you aren't.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by marsb007
so am I... however that doesn't matter and you still can be fined. The reasoning is that you're still drawing water from the aquifer... the same water which goes into lakes, ponds, etc... sources the city uses to process water from...

Therefore, although you may have your own well, it doesn't matter, and the restrictions still apply. Check with your local govt, or some website which posts the restrictions. I'm sure they point that fact out. I'm in Florida and we had the exact same thing happen...

Just wash your car on those days when you are allowed...
Your wells are different than mine where I live. With my well, the only place I am drawing water from is my own personal well that is drilled on my property. I can wash my car 10 times a day all year around if I want. If my well ever runs dry due to over use it comes out of my pocket only.

As to the OPs question, a waterless car wash mentioned above would be your best alternative. I haven't personally used ONR, but I do use QEW during the winters to keep the salt off and it works great. From my understanding ONR and QEW work the same.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM
chocoholic

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Great ideas. I'll get my G washed one of these ways or another. Now if I only cared about my lawn half as much...!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow...never thought I'd be happy about all the rain in Seattle - we never have water restrictions.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:11 PM
carman63

Originally Posted by chocoholic
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Great ideas. I'll get my G washed one of these ways or another. Now if I only cared about my lawn half as much...!
Did you find a local car wash? I'm in the same boat (er, county) as you, but luckily I have a car wash within a few blocks from my home.

My dealer (Chantilly) does some pretty good hand washes for free, if you bought from them. That's usually where I take mine.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:19 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ghost Light
What area are you in??

What about a coin op car wash?? Just dont use the brush they have. I usually just spray it down with soap and use my own wash mitt to clean the car, then rinse.

thats exactly what I do.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:27 PM
IP37

another vote for optimum no rinse
Old 10-13-2007, 04:05 PM
chocoholic

Originally Posted by carman63
Did you find a local car wash? I'm in the same boat (er, county) as you, but luckily I have a car wash within a few blocks from my home.

My dealer (Chantilly) does some pretty good hand washes for free, if you bought from them. That's usually where I take mine.
There's a coin-op wash in Sterling that's closest to me. But using your own buckets or other equipment isn't allowed. It's open 24/7, but I found out there's no one closely monitoring what people do after 7:30 pm until 7:30 am. So I think I can go at night and I'll be left in peace. If the place is open 24/7, I presume the bays and area has to be well lit. Bummer to have to do it at night. I hope to go tomorrow, so we'll see.

I bought my car at Chantilly as well. I'm leery of having them was it, though. I picked up the car in pouring rain so I couldn't see that it had some swirl scratches in the clearcoat from the dealer wash. Not a ton, but noticeable mainly on the hood. I got rid of them after claying, polishing & detailing my car myself, but I don't want them washing it again.

Does anyone know if those completely brushless auto washes are ok on the car? Absolutely nothing ever touches the car. I've been hesitant even about those but don't know if there's reason to be. Thoughts??

Quick Reply: Can't wash my G! Mandatory water restrictions