Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Black Obsidian Owners - Did yours come with swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
shiroda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Obsidian Owners - Did yours come with swirls?

When you picked up your new baby, how bad were the swirl marks?

When I picked up my new black coupe there were multiple swirls on the car in addition to a few light scratches. The sales consultant blamed the prep guys. He arranged for his detailer to take care of it. A week later it didn't look much different. May need to take it to a "professional".
Old 09-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a few swirls, but no scratches. I spent a few hours this weekend claying it, cleaner wax and Meguiars Tech Wax. Looks good as new.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What?? I would of been so pissed off. Take it to a pro get a bid and have them pay for it. That is very unacceptable. Brand new car an they scratched the clear.

Dealerships- They pay some guy 8$ an hour to wash your 45K car. The guy washing it,he doesn't give a poop about your car. I do all my own washing, detailing, waxing, clay baring etc. Don't trust anyone.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I had none on my prepped OB. I bought the proper washing equipment from the Detailed Image site to try and keep it that way
Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Degenerazn

I did notice a few swirls above the door but I never really had the time to closely examine it.

What kinda washing equipment do you guys recommend?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I had none on my prepped OB. I bought the proper washing equipment from the Detailed Image site to try and keep it that way
Good stuff, glad to see George got you all set up.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^Yessir Garnet! I got the discount from George and bought the wash mit(awesome BTW), slick wash suds, and Klasse All-in-one along with a high gloss acrylic shield. With OB and the Clear Bra I'm going to use the shield approach rather than wax at first. I have used Zaino pretty exclusively in the past, but I'm gonna try something else on the Obsidian and see how it goes. My mission is to keep this black nice and glossy
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 PM
shiroda

Thanks all – some good suggestions. I’m already checking out a detailer with a good reputation. They are doing my wife’s black 2003 Volvo wagon (sort of my price to pay for her letting me get my new mistress). If the Volvo looks as good as they promise, I’ll get their quote for the G37 and forward it on to the dealer.

Then I’ll follow up with the package that Chi-town got from George and start off on my own.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 AM
shiroda

Originally Posted by solopresident
What?? I would of been so pissed off. Take it to a pro get a bid and have them pay for it. That is very unacceptable. Brand new car an they scratched the clear.

Dealerships- They pay some guy 8$ an hour to wash your 45K car. The guy washing it,he doesn't give a poop about your car. I do all my own washing, detailing, waxing, clay baring etc. Don't trust anyone.
Thanks Solo. I took your advice and approched the sales guy. He aggreed to compensate me for the cost of going to my own detailer - even after I told him the price ($375). He has actually been really good at making things right. My detaler did my wife's "03" Volvo Wagon and it looks great. Obviously more road rage but no swilrs as on my "08" cuope. I'll be ordering my gear this weekend for doing my own maintainence from now on,especially since I have two black autos.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Degenerazn

Did you actually get the dealership to pay for the swirl mark repairs? Mine came loaded w/ swirl marks, I noticed them while I was washing it today. I'm pretty pissed off about it, went to the dealership once and they said they all come that way. What do you guys think I should do
Old 09-28-2007, 01:55 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
no swirls but car is starting to get dirty...invested in a PC 7424 and some pads..also got some polish, swirl remover and sealant from poorboy's
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
I know this is a little late for those that have already accepted their new vehicles, but for people considering purchasing a G37, consider telling the dealership not to prep your vehicle and do it properly yourself. The prep work from the unskilled labor can really take away the finish of even a brand new vehicle.

Here's a good starting point to see what is involved when properly prepping a brand new vehicle.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 PM
shiroda

Originally Posted by Degenerazn
Did you actually get the dealership to pay for the swirl mark repairs? Mine came loaded w/ swirl marks, I noticed them while I was washing it today. I'm pretty pissed off about it, went to the dealership once and they said they all come that way. What do you guys think I should do
Yes, they said to take it where I want and they'll reimburse me even after I told him I'm taking it to a place that rebuilds classics and are on the high end ($375 - exterior only).

Do-it-youselfers - The investment into your own PC and materials can be cost effective.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Degenerazn

Originally Posted by shiroda
Yes, they said to take it where I want and they'll reimburse me even after I told him I'm taking it to a place that rebuilds classics and are on the high end ($375 - exterior only).

Do-it-youselfers - The investment into your own PC and materials can be cost effective.
Just curious, what was the name of the dealership you purchased your G from?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:19 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My swirls were so bad I had to take it back twice.

The first time because of the swirls, which they only sort-of fixed.
The second time because they waxed waterspots into the finish. (Didn't dry completely before waxing)

It was still swirlied up pretty good, so I broke out the PC, ZFX-2, ZFX-1, and Zaino Z5 and went to town....

Now she shines like a diamond....Although under a hologen light you can still see lots of swirls. This paint is so soft that I finally decided I have to not be OCD about it. If I can't see it from 5 feet away it doesn't exist.....

For a 40k+ car, you'd think the paint wouldn't be so crappy. I just breath on it wrong and it swirls. But then again, that's the curse of black.

Quick Reply: Black Obsidian Owners - Did yours come with swirls?