Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM
texas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked through the forum and can't find anything on this. I was watching a video on youtube of a guy cleaning his engine off with a water hose. He covered some of the stuff with plastic bags. What is your opinion on spraying water directly on a cool engine. He had about 7 different products by the same brand he used after washing the engine off. It looked pretty good after he was done but I am scared to death if I do it something will go wrong.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by texas
I looked through the forum and can't find anything on this. I was watching a video on youtube of a guy cleaning his engine off with a water hose. He covered some of the stuff with plastic bags. What is your opinion on spraying water directly on a cool engine. He had about 7 different products by the same brand he used after washing the engine off. It looked pretty good after he was done but I am scared to death if I do it something will go wrong.
Generally speaking it's fine to spray water in the engine bay. The modern day engine is meant to withstand moisture, but I personally avoid excessive water or pressure washers in this area. If you want to be conservative cover up the air intake and any exposed electrical connections. Check out this article:
How to Detail Your Engine Bay – Detailed Image. It has tons of high quality photos with step by step instructions. If you have any questions after reading this please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Some questions about the clay bar as I've never clayed my car before, I wash it alot, but it's due for a wax. What are the benefits of the clay, and what are the different grades? How is it properly applied? What else is needed when one does this application? Any tips are appreciated. Thanx!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Xenolith666
Some questions about the clay bar as I've never clayed my car before, I wash it alot, but it's due for a wax. What are the benefits of the clay, and what are the different grades? How is it properly applied? What else is needed when one does this application? Any tips are appreciated. Thanx!
Using a clay bar is a great way to safely remove stubborn contaminants stuck to your paint and in the micro-ridges. It pulls them off the surface, which makes the surface clean and clear again. The clean and clear surface also makes any future steps work much better, for example a sealant or wax can bond to a clean surface for more durable protection. For step by step instructions and helpful tips check out the clay bar section of our detailing guide. If you have any questions after reading that please let me know.

As for the grades I generally recommend to 90% - 95% of detailers they get the fine grade bar. The ultra fine bars are really soft and for those with brand new cars and who are very conservative. The medium grade bars should only be used by those with heavy accumulation of contaminants like paint over spray, tar, etc.

Remember our 20% off clay bar and lube sale will end tonight at midnight EST! Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well I missed the sale, but I did order the gentle fine clay bar with the clay lube package for 21.99. Thanx for the feedback.. god damn lovebugs are back in FL and you have to protect the car!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:34 PM
DiasG

My white stitching on the seats is now dark gray!! and i was wondering if anyone knows a good way to clean them without damaging the leather seats? If anyone has tried something that worked please let me know thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Xenolith666
Well I missed the sale, but I did order the gentle fine clay bar with the clay lube package for 21.99. Thanx for the feedback.. god damn lovebugs are back in FL and you have to protect the car!
Thank you for the support I appreciate it!

Greg @ DI
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by DiasG
My white stitching on the seats is now dark gray!! and i was wondering if anyone knows a good way to clean them without damaging the leather seats? If anyone has tried something that worked please let me know thanks
The SONAX Leather Foam is a good one step process or my favorite combination of the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil. These leather care items also work great on the stitching and should help the stitching and seats look like new again.

Greg @ DI
Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 PM
weaver

Greg,

Can you recommend a detailer in Louisiana, preferably in the New Orleans area?

TIA

Matt
Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM
xsmurdoc

hey detailed image. how do i remove wax residue from the rubber parts around the windows and moon-roof. Do i need a special product or can i use something else. thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:03 PM
colburs

Is Vinylex bad for leather?

I accidentally got Vinylex on my front leather seats. What's the best way to clean it off. I'll then apply Lexol leather conditioner. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My headlights have a series of fine scratches that look very annoying to me. What can you recommend for getting those cleared up? A compound?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Corvettekid

I have PMed you guys at LEAST 3 different times in the past week or 2 for an order. Heard nothing. Usually you guys are RIGHT on point. I dont know how else to contact you other than threads, so ill try to post in 2 of them to get you to answer me! Not being rude, i just need products and like to use you guys...
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Soarar

Glazes, Blackfire gloss with glaze fillers

Hey,

So I've read the guide to using Glaze, and I understand that it should be applied after claying the car. What about after a subsequent wash after i have applied a layer or 2 of Blackfire Wet Diamond.

For example, I clay my car, apply the Blackfire Gloss with glaze fillers, then apply a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond. In a few weeks or so ( after a wash ) could apply a layer of the Blackfire Glass, and another coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond on top?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Sorry for the extra slow response time here, I just purchased my first home and I've been insanely busy for the past few weeks. I'll get to all the questions asap!

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image