Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
srt_unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered some vynil decals and wanted to know ...should i put them on after clay bar or when in the sequence..wax , polish??? Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by srt_unit
I ordered some vynil decals and wanted to know ...should i put them on after clay bar or when in the sequence..wax , polish??? Thanks
Sorry for the delay I was on vacation all of last week. For the paint I would recommend was, clay and polish, then wipe the surface with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol if you want to be certain it will stick great. Then apply it and if desired you can seal it afterwards or leave it alone. If you want to seal it I'd use an ultra thin layer of product with light pressure. I'd probably avoid a wax all together as it's thicker and tougher to remove with those thin letters used on the decal. Good luck and thank you for the support!

Greg @ DI
Old 07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
DadsTaxi

I've been through this thread and to put it mildly I'm very confused about what products I should use to detail my new G (sealant vs wax, glaze or not). This is my first new vehicle and I plan on keeping her a long time. What would your suggestions be to care and protect the paint on a silver G37? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by DadsTaxi
I've been through this thread and to put it mildly I'm very confused about what products I should use to detail my new G (sealant vs wax, glaze or not). This is my first new vehicle and I plan on keeping her a long time. What would your suggestions be to care and protect the paint on a silver G37? Thanks for the help.
Congratulations on the new G37, I'd be happy to provide some recommendations to you. Caring for the vehicle right away will make future cleanings easier while the vehicle is looking great year round. Below are some of my favorite products for the steps I generally take when caring for a new vehicle.

Exterior Protection
Wash - Most swirls come from the washing and drying process so make sure you use good technique (see our detailing guide) and use quality products. If you need to upgrade all of your materials check out these three package deals:
DI Packages Foamaster II Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay - Is a great way to deep clean the paint and even most new vehicles can benefit from it. It's not a must have step but it certainly helps. If interested check out the directions in the Detailing Guide, but it's actually pretty easy. If interested check out this kit: DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Seal - Protecting the exterior right away will preserve the paint and make future cleanings easier. I highly recommend the Blackfire Wet Diamond w/polycharger because it looks amazing, applies with ease and protects for months (4-6). I also use it on the headlights, exterior glass and wheels for added protection. You only need about 1 oz per coat for a medium size car so apply it nice and thin for best results. Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger). If you want to a layer a wax on top you can, it'll add more protection and gloss but it's not a must at all. If interested let me know and I'll provide you some recommendations.

Microfiber - Microfiber is paint safe and highly effective at removing the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, wax, etc. For this process I would suggest getting 3x - 6x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are also great for interior cleanings, apply protection, leather care, glass care and so much more!

Interior Protection
303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture and the fabric will look exactly the same. It's such an easy step that many people skip over but trust me it's well worth it. The SONAX Leather Foam can be used on the leather as well to keep it clean, without any extra gloss or shine that is generally not good for the leather.

Wheels
I love the new SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect which is very strong yet pH neutral and totally safe to use. It helps clean the wheels quickly and effectively! To protect the wheels you can use the same sealant listed above or get something like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Tires
If you want the tires looking like new year round the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is an amazing product. It provides a semi-permanet coating that keeps the tires looking new, repelling moisture and contaminants while still good for the rubber.

If you follow these basic pre-cautions your vehicle will look great for years to come and keep the re-sale value up! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 PM
DadsTaxi

If you follow these basic pre-cautions your vehicle will look great for years to come and keep the re-sale value up! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Take care!
Thanks for the response George, just placed an order. This AZ sun just destroys car finishes, looking forward to keeping the G nice and pretty.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, I have a question how to clean inside of our interiors.. I had some dirt marks I accidentally touched on my driver side panel.. And I also have dirt/dust build up on near my seat belt.. I don't know why it is SOO dirty on both sides..

What is your recommendation of cleaning? I have pictures to show.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for making me spend 3 hours in this thread as well as almost $300 bucks on your website....

haha j/k... just a quick question... I'm going to clean my Volk GT-30s very thoroughly sometime soon... there's brake dust in between the spokes that bothers the heck outta me... I bought the P21S wheel gel as well as the 1' DI Brushes Lambs Wool Premium Wheel Brush... is this going to work?! I've read about people using qtips for the tiny crevices as well.... any other suggestions?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by DadsTaxi
Thanks for the response George, just placed an order. This AZ sun just destroys car finishes, looking forward to keeping the G nice and pretty.
I appreciate the support of DetailedImage.com and I hope the new products work out well for you. Let me know if I can help you any further!

Greg @ DI
Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by ShyAznB8oi
Hi, I have a question how to clean inside of our interiors.. I had some dirt marks I accidentally touched on my driver side panel.. And I also have dirt/dust build up on near my seat belt.. I don't know why it is SOO dirty on both sides.What is your recommendation of cleaning? I have pictures to show.
Usually the dirt build up in those spots is from having the windows down contaminants in the air trapping there. It can also be from your hands entering and exiting the vehicle. The good news is that you should be able to clean it up with the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. Spray the affected areas and wait about 1 - 2 minutes then wipe with a clean microfiber towel (DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel). If that doesn't get it spray the cleaner on it again and take a damp scrub brush (DI Brushes Carpet Scrub Brush). A brush is a great choice because it helps get in between the fibers and break up stubborn stains.

When you are all done let it dry and then you may want to spray the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on the fabrics. It will help repel build ups and make future cleanings much easier. Just spray it on and you are done, also use it on your carpets.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Jubbliepuff
Thanks for making me spend 3 hours in this thread as well as almost $300 bucks on your website....

haha j/k... just a quick question... I'm going to clean my Volk GT-30s very thoroughly sometime soon... there's brake dust in between the spokes that bothers the heck outta me... I bought the P21S wheel gel as well as the 1' DI Brushes Lambs Wool Premium Wheel Brush... is this going to work?! I've read about people using qtips for the tiny crevices as well.... any other suggestions?
As always we appreciate your business! The answer just depends on how bad they've etched in to the surface and Volks can be a more challenging wheel to clean. You picked up two quality products to use together, but I would recommend the SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect over the P21S Wheel Gel because it's a bit stronger and still pH neutral. If your order didn't ship out yet e-mail me your order # and I'll help you out. If it did ship don't worry you got a very good product that should help, if you want to return it we also have that option. The 1" brush is very soft but it's tiny, you may want to use a microfiber towel or a sponge on the larger surface areas. The 1" brush will definitely come in handy though in those tight spaces you referenced. Good luck and keep us posted on the results!

Greg @ DI
Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Usually the dirt build up in those spots is from having the windows down contaminants in the air trapping there. It can also be from your hands entering and exiting the vehicle. The good news is that you should be able to clean it up with the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. Spray the affected areas and wait about 1 - 2 minutes then wipe with a clean microfiber towel (DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel). If that doesn't get it spray the cleaner on it again and take a damp scrub brush (DI Brushes Carpet Scrub Brush). A brush is a great choice because it helps get in between the fibers and break up stubborn stains.

When you are all done let it dry and then you may want to spray the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on the fabrics. It will help repel build ups and make future cleanings much easier. Just spray it on and you are done, also use it on your carpets.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

Hey Greg,
Thanks for the great help! It wasn't from my hands, it was just the dust build up from having my windows down almost everyday as a daily driven car. I will place an order of the 303 Cleaner&Spot Remover.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 PM
risin

I need advice on a detail spray that's going to give the paint extra shine. I have a silver z. The paint is pretty much flawless. I used to use zanio but trying to move to cheaper products. Right now I use optimum soap, wax, and zanio detail spray.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 AM
mikejg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used ONR cut for quick detailer for the first time yesterday and today I noticed it left some streaks on the windows. There may be some on the paint, but it's hard to tell on the Graphite Shadow color.

I'm thinking I may not have let the paint cool off enough prior to using it. I live in Fort Smith, AR, which is smack in the middle of this "heat dome" and it hasn't been under 100* for the entire month of July . I let the car sit in my garage for a few hours after I got home from work, but when it's that hot outside it only cools off so much unless it's after 11 at night.

Will ONR streak if surface is not cool enough? Also will ONR stip any protection that I previously applied to car?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
G U LATER

Can I apply Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 without a pc? If so what should I use?

Also will that bring out the shine of a silver car?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Hi George- I've got an unusual question for you: I've got a lot of work to do on the Nissan Sport T2 SCCA racecar, and thought I'd also use the time to wash, clay, polish and seal the exterior. Now that the detailing is finished, I left the Blackfire sealant on the redline Z without buffing it out. Since the Z will be on jack stands in my garage for the next four days, is there any problem with just leaving it on until I get everything done? Will there be any better bonding to the paint leaving it on like that?

Sure, it's a racecar, but I like to keep it looking good!

Name:  Runoffs20102.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  55.3 KB

Last edited by dkmura; 07-27-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image