Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
tomb18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I have a black G37 and would like to remove some light swirls (no holigrams or other defects, just very light to light swirls) using a porter cable tool.
I would like to use Menzerna products for the polish but there seems to be a bewildering amount of polishing products. So my question is, which polishes should I use and which Lake polishing pads should be used with them?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by parksrob
I have vossen 084 wheels, they have stains from water and other liquids that doesn't remove with car wash and elbow grease. Can you recommend something to get rid of this?
For a regular cleaning I would suggest the SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect. It's a strong cleaner that is pH neutral so it's gentle yet highly effective. Just mist it on the wheel and it should remove the surface contaminants, brake dust, etc. If you have water marks and other build ups etched in to the surface I'd suggest a quality polish like the Optimum Metal Polish. Buff it on with medium pressure and a soft cloth and it should reveal a vibrant shine again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by RaiderSuby
I have a quick question, I felt that I need to clay my car because I can actually felt the paint not as smooth as it used to.

Does using clay bar require polish afterward? I don't have a lot of free time so I would like to plan out first before I start. If I need to do full details after clay bar I would just wait when I have time to do the full polish/glaze/seal

I have this clay bar from DI
DI Accessories Medium Grade Clay Bar - 200 g | Detailed Image
You do not have to polish after using a clay bar. However after using it the surface should be very clean so polishing afterward makes a lot of sense, but again it's not a must have step. If interested the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is a great light polish that will help remove surface imperfections. After the clay bar or after the clay bar and polish I'd suggest a sealant or wax to protect the paint. If you want to save time check out the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. Apply a very thin coating and you are done as it dries clear! So in about 20 minutes you can apply a coating of protection that will last about 3 - 5 months.

Side note: The medium grade clay bar works great, but it's generally reserved for heavily contaminated vehicles, paint over spray, etc. The fine grade is what most people need for future reference.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by tomb18
Hi,
I have a black G37 and would like to remove some light swirls (no holigrams or other defects, just very light to light swirls) using a porter cable tool.
I would like to use Menzerna products for the polish but there seems to be a bewildering amount of polishing products. So my question is, which polishes should I use and which Lake polishing pads should be used with them?

Thanks!
Here is great package deal with everything you need - DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Menzerna Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit. Use the Menzerna PO83 with the cyan pad and then use the Menzerna PO106FA with the tangerine pad. This combo will remove the majority of the swirls and reveal a much deeper and more vibrant shine. I would however suggest getting at least one more of each pad as I often use at least two pads per coat of polish for best results. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Greg @ DI
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM
parksrob

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
For a regular cleaning I would suggest the SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect. It's a strong cleaner that is pH neutral so it's gentle yet highly effective. Just mist it on the wheel and it should remove the surface contaminants, brake dust, etc. If you have water marks and other build ups etched in to the surface I'd suggest a quality polish like the Optimum Metal Polish. Buff it on with medium pressure and a soft cloth and it should reveal a vibrant shine again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Thanks for the tip. I also have a 08 f150. The plastic trim around the wheel wells originally were black and now are Greyish white any suggestions on something that will keep it black for a while
Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 PM
RaiderSuby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You do not have to polish after using a clay bar. However after using it the surface should be very clean so polishing afterward makes a lot of sense, but again it's not a must have step. If interested the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is a great light polish that will help remove surface imperfections. After the clay bar or after the clay bar and polish I'd suggest a sealant or wax to protect the paint. If you want to save time check out the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. Apply a very thin coating and you are done as it dries clear! So in about 20 minutes you can apply a coating of protection that will last about 3 - 5 months.

Side note: The medium grade clay bar works great, but it's generally reserved for heavily contaminated vehicles, paint over spray, etc. The fine grade is what most people need for future reference.

Greg @ DI

LOL I don't know how to copy and paste, this is actually what I bought

DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay - 200 g (Dark Blue)

I have all the polish/glaze/seal already, I was just wonder if claying would scratch up the paint. The reason I don't want to polish is because my paint is still in very good shape, I hardly see scratches that I need to polish out.

Thanks for the help

KT
Old 06-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
alright guys im planning a full detail of my car later in July. I used the 20% off coupon and purchased the following after much research.

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (with Glaze fillers)
Chemical Guys Jetseal 109
P21S 100% Carnauba Wax
Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical Protection Detailer

Obviously I will clay bar the car prior to starting however I just wanted to know what I should use FIRST on the car and then so on. The car is is great condition, it was last detailed in April. Also a few words of advice would greatly be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Goonz
alright guys im planning a full detail of my car later in July. I used the 20% off coupon and purchased the following after much research.

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (with Glaze fillers)
P21S 100% Carnauba Wax
Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical Protection Detailer

Obviously I will clay bar the car prior to starting however I just wanted to know what I should use FIRST on the car and then so on. The car is is great condition, it was last detailed in April. Also a few words of advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you for the purchase! I would use them in this order:

Wash/Dry
Clay
Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
P21S 100% Carnauba Wax
Dodo Juice Red Mist - use at the very end or use it for maintenance
Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by parksrob
Thanks for the tip. I also have a 08 f150. The plastic trim around the wheel wells originally were black and now are Greyish white any suggestions on something that will keep it black for a while
TUF SHINE Black Restore Kit is perfect for restoring the plastic trim. You can also lock in the new look with the TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat afterward. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by RaiderSuby
LOL I don't know how to copy and paste, this is actually what I bought

DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay - 200 g (Dark Blue)

I have all the polish/glaze/seal already, I was just wonder if claying would scratch up the paint. The reason I don't want to polish is because my paint is still in very good shape, I hardly see scratches that I need to polish out.

Thanks for the help

KT
KT,

I would use that after washing and before the polish, glaze, sealant, etc. Using a clay bar always has the potential to scratch the paint but if you use good technique you can greatly minimize this possibility. Also doing a good wash before hand also makes it even safer. Check out our Detailing Guide for tips!

Greg @ DI
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 PM
weaver

Greg,

got a tough one for you and I honestly don't know how it happened, so I need your help. The plastic that covers the gauge cluster, I.e. Speedometer, tachometer, etc, got a long scratch on it. At first I thought it was just something that would wipe off, but tried a paper towel and water and no go. Do u have something I can use to buff it out and make it new again.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by weaver
Greg,

got a tough one for you and I honestly don't know how it happened, so I need your help. The plastic that covers the gauge cluster, I.e. Speedometer, tachometer, etc, got a long scratch on it. At first I thought it was just something that would wipe off, but tried a paper towel and water and no go. Do u have something I can use to buff it out and make it new again.
Oh man that does suck, sorry to hear about it. Usually the plastic covering there is very soft so it's extremely difficult to treat without leaving a lot of haze on it. Polishing it is going to be risky because it may not remove much of the scratch and it has the chance of leaving a haze on it. If you can feel the scratch at all with your fingers I would say don't even bother trying a polish, seek a certified Infiniti shop or a good shop. If it's extremely faint you could try a very light polish (Menzerna PO85RD or Meguiar's PlastX) but again it's a soft plastic, so test it on a very small section first to make sure you are getting the desired results. So with all that being said it may be something you want to mess around with, it's one of the most challenging areas to treat. Sorry I wasn't more helpful here but I wish you the best of luck.

Greg @ DI
Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 AM
weaver

Thanks. I just don't know how it got there and how I didn't notice it sooner, especially since I am the only one that drives the car. I will try the meguire's and see how it goes. I have had the car since April 1 and just noticed it on Saturday when driving. Hope this isn't an issue when I turn my car in on the lease, but that is a long time from now.

Talked to the dealer and he said just soap and water. If that doesn't work, it will have to be replaced. I don't want to know how much that is going to cost me.

Last edited by weaver; 07-05-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by weaver
Thanks. I just don't know how it got there and how I didn't notice it sooner, especially since I am the only one that drives the car. I will try the meguire's and see how it goes. I have had the car since April 1 and just noticed it on Saturday when driving. Hope this isn't an issue when I turn my car in on the lease, but that is a long time from now.

Talked to the dealer and he said just soap and water. If that doesn't work, it will have to be replaced. I don't want to know how much that is going to cost me.
Sorry to hear about that, you could try the polish right before you replace it just to see how it works, but that's up to you.

Greg @ DI
Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM
weaver

Tried soap and water and it didn't work. Just gonna leave it for now and when I go to turn in the vehicle, I will replace if need be. I just wish I knew how the hell that got there.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image