Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM
LSUtigerME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, my wife left a half gallon of milk in the trunk for 3 days in 102F weather, and needless to say the smell is horrendous. We've tried to clean it and have removed the trunk mat to get the smell out of the car, but it still is fairly strong in the mat. She brought to a place and had it shampooed to no relief, I've washed it with the hose and let dry. Still has a faint rotten milk smell.

Any ideas on how to remove this strong odor from the mat?

BTW, great thread and great products. I still use the products you recommended a while back and love them. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:23 PM
weaver

Good to see a fellow Tiger Fan on here.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by G37SBS
What's the best product for cleaning the leather seats? Lexol leather cleaner / and Lexol leather conditioner combo will work? or is there any better product?

And also what to know which product is good for dash / door panels to clean and protect from sun? Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer any good? or 303? if it is 303 ..should i get "303 fabric & vinyl cleaner" or "303 cleaner & sport remover" ?

Thanks
For the leather the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil combo is simply amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to deep clean and condition the leather and it can also be used to maintain the leather afterward.

For the interior I'd recommend the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover for a cleaning of carpets, dashboard, doors, trim, etc. I protect the dashboard, doors, trim, console, etc. with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. If you just need a dusting the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer is nice but I personally prefer the 303 combo.

As always save 10% off with the coupon code 10offg37. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by LSUtigerME
Unfortunately, my wife left a half gallon of milk in the trunk for 3 days in 102F weather, and needless to say the smell is horrendous. We've tried to clean it and have removed the trunk mat to get the smell out of the car, but it still is fairly strong in the mat. She brought to a place and had it shampooed to no relief, I've washed it with the hose and let dry. Still has a faint rotten milk smell.

BTW, great thread and great products. I still use the products you recommended a while back and love them. Thanks for any help.
Oh man there is almost nothing worse than milk in extreme heat. In short you'll have to remove everything the milk penetrated like the carpets, foam padding behind it, etc. To help kill the bad smell you can also use the Chemical Guys Extreme Offensive Odor Eliminator - Concentrated, but getting to all the areas it penetrated, that is the hard part. Also get a fridge pack of backing soda in there to help absorb the odor. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-11-2011, 04:24 AM
soccerboy2288

Cleaning question

Hi guys, I am relatively new to this forum but I recently got a G37S BO! I'm trying to get new cleaning supplies for it, and was wondering if the blue sponge from detailedimage.com will not leave scratches on my car?:

Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge | Detailed Image

I've read sheepskin is the best but the sponge looks easier to use lol Thanks for your help! Any advice on highly recommended items would also be appreciated! thank you!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by soccerboy2288
Hi guys, I am relatively new to this forum but I recently got a G37S BO! I'm trying to get new cleaning supplies for it, and was wondering if the blue sponge from detailedimage.com will not leave scratches on my car?:

Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge | Detailed Image

I've read sheepskin is the best but the sponge looks easier to use lol Thanks for your help! Any advice on highly recommended items would also be appreciated! thank you!
Thank you for checking out our site. I do think the Sheepskin Wash Mitts are just a tiny bit safer but both products are regarded as paint safe. The only negative with the DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt is that the durability varies because of the natural fibers used, so 5 - 25+ uses is somewhat normal range. The Blue Grout Sponge will last much longer and it's less expensive. The advantage of a mitt though is you can get in to tight areas with more ease. Both are very easy to use so I don't think you'll notice too much difference there. Either way you can't go wrong and to be honest I use both! Here are a few washing and drying kits if interested.

DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit

DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit

DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

DI Packages Washing and Drying Ultimate Kit

Greg @ DI
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
sheepskin wash mitt vs the blue grout sponge, which would have less chances of swirling the paint? (if used correctly, 2 bucket, grit guard etc method)
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LSUtigerME

Try using a product called Ozium. It's used in hospitals to kill germs and get rid of smells and sold in drug stores. Spray the trunk on a hot day and leave it sitting in the sun for a few hours. It's killed most smells in my cars over the years. My dad used to use it in his car and he was a smoker and you'd never know the car was smoked in. It's worth a try.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 PM
mikejg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just purchased some SONAX leather foam to use on my seats. My only question...Do i need to be careful around the "infiniti" stitching on the front seats? Will it stain this? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Brooklynstar23

Originally Posted by Silver37
Try using a product called Ozium. It's used in hospitals to kill germs and get rid of smells and sold in drug stores. Spray the trunk on a hot day and leave it sitting in the sun for a few hours. It's killed most smells in my cars over the years. My dad used to use it in his car and he was a smoker and you'd never know the car was smoked in. It's worth a try.
+1 for Ozium! Its one of the best scent/odor/bacteria killers on the market. When I used to smoke I smoked a lot in my car on long drives, after a few sprays of ozium you could not tell it was a smoker car...a top notch product indeed.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Presto
sheepskin wash mitt vs the blue grout sponge, which would have less chances of swirling the paint? (if used correctly, 2 bucket, grit guard etc method)
In general both are very safe and effective. If I have to pick one as the safest the DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt would be my pick as it's ultra soft.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by mikejg
I just purchased some SONAX leather foam to use on my seats. My only question...Do i need to be careful around the "infiniti" stitching on the front seats? Will it stain this? Thanks in advance.
You should be safe around the stitching just don't press overly hard like with any product. Also like with any new product I always use a test spot just to be certain. Let me know if you have any questions!

Greg @ DI
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM
weaver

Greg,

YGM.

Matt
Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
parksrob

I have vossen 084 wheels, they have stains from water and other liquids that doesn't remove with car wash and elbow grease. Can you recommend something to get rid of this?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:27 AM
RaiderSuby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a quick question, I felt that I need to clay my car because I can actually felt the paint not as smooth as it used to.

Does using clay bar require polish afterward? I don't have a lot of free time so I would like to plan out first before I start. If I need to do full details after clay bar I would just wait when I have time to do the full polish/glaze/seal

I have this clay bar from DI
DI Accessories Medium Grade Clay Bar - 200 g | Detailed Image

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image