Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg,

Thanks. Just put in a big order for you. Looking forward to getting everything. Never used an orbital buffer before, so gonna try it out on the old car first.

Matt
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you guys get that wet paint look for an Ivory Pearl G?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Brooklynstar23

Thanks for your earlier response Greg. I think I am just going to go with a sealant since they typically last longer. I looked around on your website and I like this one

Chemical Guys HYBRID V7 - Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant & Detailer - 16 oz | Detailed Image

How would you recomend I apply it? My car is liquid platinum in color..

Thanks for all your help!

P.S I dont have a buffer or PC so I would be applying by hand not sure if thats ok.

Last edited by Brooklynstar23; 05-19-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by weaver
Greg,

Thanks. Just put in a big order for you. Looking forward to getting everything. Never used an orbital buffer before, so gonna try it out on the old car first.

Matt
Matt,

Very much appreciated! Good luck with the buffer and keep us posted on how it comes out.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by ShyAznB8oi
How do you guys get that wet paint look for an Ivory Pearl G?
Ivory Pearl G paint is slightly more challenging to get that deep gloss and wet look with but it certainly can be done. As always I recommend doing a full detail at least 1 - 2 times per year and then just maintaining it with a wash and protection every 4 - 6 months at a minimum. I'll outline a full detail below that will make the G's paint really pop!

Wash/Dry - most swirls come from this process so quality products and techniques are critical. Check out our detailing guide for this step and other steps to maximize your efforts. Here are two awesome kits if interested.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar - This step deep cleans the paint so it's free from stubborn build ups not removed by the washing process. This may seem complicated or different but it's pretty simple and basic. In short spray some clay lube on the paint and glide the bar side to side and picks up micro contaminants in the paint. Here is an excellent value on a clay bar and lube - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

Polish - This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Again check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant is an outstanding sealant that looks amazing and protects for about 4 - 6 months. It can be applied by hand or with a blue pad and the buffer, either way is fine. It applies with ease and 15 minutes the excess product will remove with ease too. You can stop here and the paint will look amazing, but if you want that overly glossy look wait at least an hour and then apply a carnauba wax. For the Pearl White Paint I highly recommend the Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax, which was specifically designed to make white paint look amazing. The paint will look deeper and glossier, while getting some very strong protection at the same time. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors if you want something more affordable or slightly faster to work with.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them.

Also don't forget to dress the tires to create a sharper contrast. The TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is my absolute favorite choice for an awesome looking tire that will truly last!

Now step back and admire how awesome your vehicle looks. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 PM
G U LATER

Hello Greg,

I am about to purchase all my detailing supplies for my OB G35xS sedan. Here is what the list looks like so far.

Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert (2)
DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt w/no thumb (2)
DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24" (2)
DI Microfiber The Great White - 16" x 24" (2)
Poorboy's World Bug Squash - 32 oz
Poorboy's World Bio APC & Degreaser - 32 oz
Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax - 8 oz
Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun - 1/4 Gallon Tank
303 Aerospace Protectant - 16 oz
Poorboy's World Trim Restorer - 16 oz

Am I missing anything? And what polish and glaze do you recommend using with these products?

I also plan on washing the car every 3-5 weeks so do I need a sealant?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23
Thanks for your earlier response Greg. I think I am just going to go with a sealant since they typically last longer. I looked around on your website and I like this one

Chemical Guys HYBRID V7 - Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant & Detailer - 16 oz | Detailed Image

How would you recomend I apply it? My car is liquid platinum in color..

Thanks for all your help!

P.S I dont have a buffer or PC so I would be applying by hand not sure if thats ok.
The Hybrid V7 is a great product, in short it's a spray on sealant that looks great and gives you some protection. To apply it simply spray it on the paint, spread it by hand with a foam applicator or towel and buff off any excess product. It looks great but the protection is not meant to last months generally speaking. If you want significant protection I'd probably suggest one of my two favorite options (Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger or Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant), which last about 4 - 6 months. You don't need a buffer to apply them as well, just apply 2 - 3 tiny drops to an applicator pad and buff it on with light pressure nice and thin. Wait 15 minutes and buff off the excess with a clean microfiber towel.

If you want the fastest application of a durable sealant on the market try the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. In short spray a tiny bit on the supplied app and spread it extremely thin and you are DONE. It dries clear so no removal is needed, you can do a whole car in roughly 20 minutes. It looks great and protects for about 3 - 5 months!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by G U LATER
Hello Greg,

I am about to purchase all my detailing supplies for my OB G35xS sedan. Here is what the list looks like so far.

Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert (2)
DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt w/no thumb (2)
DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24" (2)
DI Microfiber The Great White - 16" x 24" (2)
Poorboy's World Bug Squash - 32 oz
Poorboy's World Bio APC & Degreaser - 32 oz
Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax - 8 oz
Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun - 1/4 Gallon Tank
303 Aerospace Protectant - 16 oz
Poorboy's World Trim Restorer - 16 oz

Am I missing anything? And what polish and glaze do you recommend using with these products?

I also plan on washing the car every 3-5 weeks so do I need a sealant?
Thank you in advance for your support. Your list looks very solid to me I don't see any big things missing. There is always more you can add but you have everything needed for a basic detail. As long as you re-apply the wax every 3 - 5 weeks the paint should remain protected year round. In case you are interested in a lower cost sealant check out the Rejex Sealant which also works really well.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-22-2011, 06:19 PM
G U LATER

Thanks for the fast reply Greg. Which polish and glaze do you recommend for my color without the use of a PC?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by G U LATER
Thanks for the fast reply Greg. Which polish and glaze do you recommend for my color without the use of a PC?
If you are going to add two steps to your process I'd highly recommend the polish as you stated and a clay bar instead of a glaze. The polish is arguably the most important step in the process because it removes oxidation, swirls, etc. Apply the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 with medium arm pressure, all other steps just require light pressure. However after washing and before polishing use the clay bar to deep clean the paint so you get a deeper shine and the sealant or wax will bond to the paint better. The DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube is a great option that is cost effective way to get top quality products.

If you want to also use a glaze that is fine as well. I would use it after polishing and before you seal or wax the paint. The Poorboy's World Black Hole will help add gloss and depth to the paint! If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Brooklynstar23

Thank you very much fore the reply!!! I will check out that CG Hybrid and the other spray.

Last edited by Brooklynstar23; 05-24-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Glad to help out, good luck and keep us posted on what you try.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 AM
weaver

Greg,

I am going to test the buffer out on my 2003 altima. I has not been waxed in I don't know how long. Here is my plan. Wash with the citrus wash and that should take any residue off. Gonna detail the engine and wheel wells, since I need to rotate the tires anyway. Gotta clean the interior up a bit as well. After that, gonna clay the entire car, glass too. After that, gonna wash and dry again. Then gonna use the Meguires 105 and then the Meguires 205. Once that is done, then gonna apply the Blackfire sealant. I know I have 5 different foam applicators for the buffer, so I should have all that I need to accomplish that. I also have a bunch of microfiber towels as well. Once that is done dress the tires and I should be done.

Am I leaving anything out?

Matt
Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Matt your process sounds pretty spot on. I don't see anything big missing and your order of operation was correct. Good luck and keep us posted!

Greg @ DI
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 AM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the best product for cleaning the leather seats? Lexol leather cleaner / and Lexol leather conditioner combo will work? or is there any better product?

And also what to know which product is good for dash / door panels to clean and protect from sun? Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer any good? or 303? if it is 303 ..should i get "303 fabric & vinyl cleaner" or "303 cleaner & sport remover" ?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image