Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by r6rider211
Going to use the Tangerine Ultra fine pad with the M205 and then follow up with Crimson for the Sealent... is this correct... or should I get other pads for what I am doing... I am not really going to use the M105 and the "blue" pad that comes in the kit the first time as I would like to get used to using the PC first...
The Crimson pad can be used for the application of a sealant. Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help. Thank you for the purchase I hope you enjoy the products!

Greg @ DI
Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Thank you for the question I'm happy to help. The Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103 is a very strong degreaser that should be diluted. I pretty much just use it on the exterior panels, wheel wells, tires, etc. For the interior I clean it with the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover first. It's a versatile and gentle cleaner that works great on the interior vinyl, plastic, fabrics and more. After that protect the vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather, etc. with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's a great UV protectant that leaves a nice matte finish. If the interior has recently been cleaned and it just a tiny bit dusty you could spray this formula on a clean microfiber towel (DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel) and wipe. The towel is statically charged so it can pull in contaminants while spreading the 303 AP.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Greg,

Will do. I will use the protectant for now and if I need a cleaner, will try the one you recommend.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by weaver
Greg,

Will do. I will use the protectant for now and if I need a cleaner, will try the one you recommend.

Thanks,

Matt
Sounds good!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Dingo6610

Bug or Sap removal

I've acquired some little spot of either a piece of dead bug or a perhaps sap that seems to have embedded itself in my hood. It will not come off with quick detailer. I can pick at it with my finger nail (gently) but it will not budge.

Suggestions for removal?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Dingo6610
I've acquired some little spot of either a piece of dead bug or a perhaps sap that seems to have embedded itself in my hood. It will not come off with quick detailer. I can pick at it with my finger nail (gently) but it will not budge.

Suggestions for removal?
The DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube very effective at deep cleaning the surface. You can also use something like the Einszett 1Z Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover to help loosen up build ups when polishing. The Stoner Tarminator is my last choice for the extremely stubborn build ups. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 AM
beowulf777

How do you remove the lettering applied by the dealer? To be clear this is not metal/plastic badging. It is some type of decal.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Dingo6610

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
The DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube very effective at deep cleaning the surface. You can also use something like the Einszett 1Z Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover to help loosen up build ups when polishing. The Stoner Tarminator is my last choice for the extremely stubborn build ups. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI

Unfortunately, now it's a paint chip, about a millimeter in diameter. (I probably did it myself by plucking it out of there with the clay bar). I've filled it in with touch up paint, then clear coat, but of course, now I have a little bump there. I assume I'll have to have that wet sanded by a body shop if I want to get it smoothed back down? Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by beowulf777
How do you remove the lettering applied by the dealer? To be clear this is not metal/plastic badging. It is some type of decal.

Thanks.
It's basically the same exact process as de-badging. Check out this Ask A Pro article which should answer your question, if not let me know.
How Do I Remove the Car Dealership Stickers, Decals, Badges, or Emblems From My Car? – Detailed Image

If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Dingo6610
Unfortunately, now it's a paint chip, about a millimeter in diameter. (I probably did it myself by plucking it out of there with the clay bar). I've filled it in with touch up paint, then clear coat, but of course, now I have a little bump there. I assume I'll have to have that wet sanded by a body shop if I want to get it smoothed back down? Any thoughts on this?
You should be able to do the wetsanding by yourself especially if it's just one or a few spots. Just use a light wet sanding and follow it up with a polish. Maybe start with 2000 or at most 1500 and then use the lighter grits to finish it down (see below). After that polish it by hand with a combo like the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205. It should leave the area looking better and feeling smoother. If you have any questions please let me know.

Meguiar's 1500 Grade - Unigrit Finishing Sand Paper
Meguiar's 2000 Grade - Unigrit Finishing Sand Paper
Meguiar's 2500 Grade - Unigrit Finishing Sand Paper
Meguiar's 3000 Grade - Unigrit Finishing Sand Paper

Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 AM
MechE

Is it okay to wash, use a scratch remover, and a swirl remover in one day then drive around the neighborhood for errands (not parked near trees) then go back the next day and quick detail to remove dirt, then polish and wax? OR, do I need to wash again the second day?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
risin

I'm almost ready to buy my stuff.

I use zaino soap and detail spray what is a good soap and detail spray. I need soap that's slick, cleans, and doesn't leave residue behind. I need a detail spray that makes the paint shine and repels dust. Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by MechE
Is it okay to wash, use a scratch remover, and a swirl remover in one day then drive around the neighborhood for errands (not parked near trees) then go back the next day and quick detail to remove dirt, then polish and wax? OR, do I need to wash again the second day?
As always the cleaner the vehicle the safer it is to work on. So for increased safety I'd recommend another wash. If you want to save time an ONR wash may be a good choice. It is possible to use a quick detailer in between as you suggested but after polishing you may want to be extra safe about not adding any more micro-scratches in the paint. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by risin
I'm almost ready to buy my stuff.

I use zaino soap and detail spray what is a good soap and detail spray. I need soap that's slick, cleans, and doesn't leave residue behind. I need a detail spray that makes the paint shine and repels dust. Thanks
The Poorboy's World Super Slick & Suds has always been one of my favorite shampoos because of it's slick feel and the tons of suds it provides. The Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II is another great option that is also very cost effective.

For quick detailers we have tons of great options that are anti-static like the Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer or the Chemical Guys Speed Wipe (Anti-Static) Quick Detailer. Both help you clean and add just a bit of shine to the surface and repel dust, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Greg @ DI
Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
weaver

I have chrome wheels and for some reason after I washed the car today, by the time I dried the car down and then hit the wheels, there were water spots on them. Not bad, but enough that I could see them.

I don't want to switch to an inline filter for my hose, as I already have a filter since I have a well and not public water. All I do is use the car wash soap, Meguire's gold glass or Citrus Wash. I use a seperate microfiber mitt to wash the wheels and use the two bucket method. I hose off after I am done. I dried the wheels with a microfiber towel and then sprayed the wheels with windex to finish the shine on the wheels. That is when I discovered the spots. I also use another microfiber cloth to take the windex off the wheels. The wheels are clean, but just spot up, so I don't think I need to use a wheel cleaner, but maybe a wheel wax, but don't know if that would be enough so I wouldn't have to do it everytime I wash the car.

Greg, please help.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by weaver
I have chrome wheels and for some reason after I washed the car today, by the time I dried the car down and then hit the wheels, there were water spots on them. Not bad, but enough that I could see them.

I don't want to switch to an inline filter for my hose, as I already have a filter since I have a well and not public water. All I do is use the car wash soap, Meguire's gold glass or Citrus Wash. I use a seperate microfiber mitt to wash the wheels and use the two bucket method. I hose off after I am done. I dried the wheels with a microfiber towel and then sprayed the wheels with windex to finish the shine on the wheels. That is when I discovered the spots. I also use another microfiber cloth to take the windex off the wheels. The wheels are clean, but just spot up, so I don't think I need to use a wheel cleaner, but maybe a wheel wax, but don't know if that would be enough so I wouldn't have to do it everytime I wash the car.

Greg, please help.
We can definitely help you get rid of those marks. Most likely with the warmer temps and even just a little bit of sunlight the mineral deposits in water can etch in to the finish. To help prevent this while washing try to keep the vehicle in the shade as much as possible, before, during and after a wash. Once the wheels, paint, glass, etc. are wet you need to keep rinsing them so they don't get warm and the water stays moving.

I generally don't recommend Windex on Chrome wheels so a pH neutral cleaner may be a better choice (i.e. P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner or the SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect out of stock until next week). To get rid of those marks you just need a little metal polish. The Optimum Metal Polish is a great choice because it deep cleans, polishes, shines and protects all in one step. It should be able to buff out those marks and bring back a deeper shine. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image