Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:32 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
When you say scuffs to do you mean some ultra fine scratches in the paint? If so you'll need to polish them with something like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and then move up to the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 if needed.
Yes they are superficial scuffs that you can see in some angles. My car is Black Obsidian so that exacerbates the harshness of the scuff. Thanks for the advice. How should these products be applied?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by redrover23
Yes they are superficial scuffs that you can see in some angles. My car is Black Obsidian so that exacerbates the harshness of the scuff. Thanks for the advice. How should these products be applied?
Ideally I'd use a buffer and foam pads like the ones in this kit DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit. The Porter Cable 7424 XP buffer is very safe and easy to use. With this kit you can get any combination of pads you'd like by adding a comment in the comment field while checking out. I'd recommend getting at least 2x orange (or cyan) pads for the M105 and 2x white pads (or tangerine) for the M205. If you have any questions please let me know.

We also have two other kits that may be perfect for you that include the polishes and pads you need:
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Basic Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Menzerna Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit

If you need to do this by hand I'd recommend a foam applicator and medium pressure. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg
Old 04-12-2011, 02:46 AM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
First time Detailer here. Put together a shopping cart for my plunge into detailing. Can you take a look to see if you would do anything different? Not looking to do anything at a professional level. Just gonna start with cars at home for regular maintenance once in a while and work my way up from there.

Saved Cart
DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay - 200 g $14.24 1 $14.24
DI Packages Meguiar's Polish and Protection Kit $79.99 1 $79.99
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package $59.99 1 $59.99
Lake Country 5" Backing Plate for Porter Cable 7424 - 125 mm $16.99 1 $16.99
Lake Country Black Finishing Pad - 5.5 inch $8.99 1 $8.99
Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad - 5.5 inch $7.65 6 $45.90
Lake Country Snappy Clean Pad Cleaner $1.33 3 $3.99
Lake Country White Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch $8.35 3 $25.05
Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer $114.44 1 $114.44
SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect - 500 ml $15.99 1 $15.99

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 PM
r6rider211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
order help

About to checkout with my order from Detailed Image... here is what i am planning on getting:

<TABLE id=checkout-items cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>Price</TD><TD align=right>Qty</TD><TD align=right>Total</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-425-1><TD></TD><TD>DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads</TD><TD align=right>$214.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-425-1 action=https://www.myg37.com/forums/ method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-425-1 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('425', '1')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$214.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-263-1><TD></TD><TD>Lake Country Porter Cable 7424 Backing Plate for 4 Inch Pads - 85 mm</TD><TD align=right>$12.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-263-1 action=https://www.myg37.com/forums/ method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-263-1 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('263', '1')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$12.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-458-3><TD></TD><TD>Lake Country Hydro Tech Crimson Ultra Fine Finishing Pad - 4 inch</TD><TD align=right>$5.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-458-3 action=https://www.myg37.com/forums/ method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-458-3 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('458', '3')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$5.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-406-3><TD></TD><TD>Lake Country Hydro Tech Cyan Light Cutting and Polishing Pad - 4 inch</TD><TD align=right>$5.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-406-3 action=https://www.myg37.com/forums/ method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-406-3 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('406', '3')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$5.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-205-1><TD></TD><TD>Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz</TD><TD align=right>$29.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-205-1 action=https://www.myg37.com/forums/ method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-205-1 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('205', '1')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$29.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-40-1><TD></TD><TD>Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant - 8 oz</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The package includes 6" backing plate and 2 Cyan light cutting, 2 Crimson ultra fine cutting, counter weight ....

Planning on doing first detail this weekend... is there anything else your would recogmend or should I be good. First timer.... also i have a BLACK G37s ... would you recogmend a WAX rather then this sealer?

thanks!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old 04-12-2011, 06:53 PM
r6rider211

Changed a few things ^^^^....

<TABLE id=checkout-items cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD align=right>Price</TD><TD align=right>Qty</TD><TD align=right>Total</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-425-1><TD></TD><TD>DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads</TD><TD align=right>$214.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-425-1 action="" method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-425-1 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('425', '1')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$214.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-263-1><TD></TD><TD>Lake Country Porter Cable 7424 Backing Plate for 4 Inch Pads - 85 mm</TD><TD align=right>$12.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-263-1 action="" method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-263-1 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('263', '1')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$12.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-205-1><TD></TD><TD>Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz</TD><TD align=right>$29.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-205-1 action="" method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-205-1 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('205', '1')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$29.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-40-1><TD></TD><TD>Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant - 8 oz</TD><TD align=right>$14.39</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-40-1 action="" method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-40-1 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('40', '1')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$14.39</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-407-3><TD></TD><TD>Lake Country Hydro Tech Tangerine Ultra Fine Polishing Pad - 4 inch</TD><TD align=right>$5.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-407-3 action="" method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-407-3 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('407', '3')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$5.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-458-1><TD></TD><TD>Lake Country Hydro Tech Crimson Ultra Fine Finishing Pad - 6.5 inch</TD><TD align=right>$11.99</TD><TD align=right><FORM id=form-update-qty-458-1 action="" method=post><INPUT class=update-qty-inputs onkeypress="return disableEnterKey(event)" id=update-qty-458-1 maxLength=3 onchange="updateCartQty('458', '1')" value=1></FORM></TD><TD align=right>$11.99</TD></TR><TR id=cart-item-458-3><TD></TD><TD>Lake Country Hydro Tech Crimson Ultra Fine Finishing Pad - 4 inch</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Going to use the Tangerine Ultra fine pad with the M205 and then follow up with Crimson for the Sealent... is this correct... or should I get other pads for what I am doing... I am not really going to use the M105 and the "blue" pad that comes in the kit the first time as I would like to get used to using the PC first...
Old 04-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Dingo6610

How often do you recommend to polish and wax your car?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM
J2S2M

^ IMO that is absolutely subjective to the condition of your paint and how serious you are about maintaining it. Relatively speaking though, I would say twice a year would be sufficient for an average joe like myself.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Dingo6610

Waxing Only?

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Sometimes the words in detailing get thrown around a lot so they might have different meanings to different people. I'll briefly explain the differences between some of the terms. Pure polishes can use micro cutting particles to actually remove a micro thin layer of clear coat (buffs out swirls, oxidation, etc) or cleaning chemicals to clean the paint, but don't add protection. This step adds a lot of shine and is known as the prep work. Pure sealants are really meant to protect the paint for months and add a reflective shine. Waxes (carnauba waxes) offer less protection than a sealant (generally speaking) but offer more depth and gloss in the shine. The ideal combination is to layer a carnauba wax on top of a sealant so you get the underlying strong protection of a sealant and the deep gloss of a carnauba wax on top. Polishes generally would not go on top of a wax or sealant. The correct order for using products is usually wash/dry - clay bar - polish - glaze - sealant - wax.

If you only want to do just one step I'd recommend the sealant because they have such strong protection and a great shine. The FMJ mentioned above is probably one of the easiest products to apply and remove. I'd follow the previous recommendations I outlined for selecting a carnauba wax if you prefer their deeper shine. All three are pretty easy to apply with the Natty's Blue being slightly harder to work with. The Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and the P21S Carnauba Wax are extremely easy to work with and both come with applicator pads (Pinnacle also comes with a microfiber towel).

In summary if you want protection and shine go with a sealant like the FMJ. If you want the deeper gloss and a little less protection get a carnauba wax. If you want even better results use both or add more steps to the detail. Let me know if I can provide any more information or a more clear recommendation for you. Good luck with the detail and let us know how you make out!

George @ Detailed Image

I have a new vehicle, and I see no visible scratches or swirls, etc. The car is about a month old now and the water is not currently beading on the surface. I'd like to get a better shine on it and restore the beading. Can I go straight to waxing without doing the polishing step? (Assuming that I clean the car well first).
Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by J2S2M
First time Detailer here. Put together a shopping cart for my plunge into detailing. Can you take a look to see if you would do anything different? Not looking to do anything at a professional level. Just gonna start with cars at home for regular maintenance once in a while and work my way up from there.

Saved Cart

If you are getting the porter cable, backing pad, polishing pads, and megs polishes, have you price checked this kit to see if its a better deal:

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads | Detailed Image

Of if you want the 5.5 inch pads, then what you have is fine.

My only questions would be why so many pads? 6 orange light cutting pads?

I use the Megs 105/205 combo and I have 2 cyan pads for the M105 and 2 white pads for the M205. Clean them in snappy pad cleaner after using them, and I have never needed more than 2 colored pads for any car.

Also, the polish kit you chose comes with clay, but you added more clay to your cart. Just checking to make sure this was intentional. Also, how are you going to use the clay? Did I miss a QD?

The sonax wheel cleaner gets good reviews, although I havent tried it.

For me, the must haves are:

2 bucket wash with grit guard - only need 1 grit guard, but I use 2. I picked up the large buckets at Lowes or Home Depot for 3 bucks each. AND I picked up the lids so you can store stuff in the buckets and put the lid on to keep dust and dirt from getting on them.

Good sudsing car wash / shampoo - Everyone has their preference. I use Meguiars Gold Class for my normal washes, Chemical Guys citrus wash for when I need to degrease the car before polishing, and Optimum No Rinse for winter washes when the hose is turned off. As long as you pick any of the top selling shampoos on DI's site, you are in good shape. I also have P21s total auto wash, its not cheap, but its a fantastic degreaser. It pretty much gets EVERYTHING off. If you want to strip everything off your paint and get a clean surface before polishing, it works like a charm. But its not cheap.

Wash mitt for car - I only have 1

Wash mitt/sponge for rims/tires - I only have 1, and it never touches the paint.

Waffle weave drying towel - 1 towel can do 1 full car, I have 2

DI microfiber towels - I use these for interior cleaning, applying QDs, removing residual polish, and buffing out wax/sealant

Quick Detailer - Use it for when you car is slightly dirty, but doesnt need the full wash. Or for a clay bar lubricant. I use optimum opti-clean and like it very much.

Porter Cable polish package. I love the PC package with the Megs 105/205 and the Hydro tech pads. 2 cyan pads for the M105 and 2 tangerine for the M205. If I was buying from scratch, thats what Id get. Comes with backing pad to connect the pads to the polisher. The Megs combo should cover almost all of your polishing needs.

Sealant - I use the Menzerna FMJ and blackfire sealant with a blue polishing pad. It goes on easy, and buff off residual with a microfiber towel and last longer than waxes.

Pad cleaner - I usually buy the snappy pad cleaner in bulk. You will use it. It keeps your pads good as new.

Other semi-important items:

All purpose cleaner - I use the Megs D103. I spray it in my wheel wells and let it sit, use it on the under carriage, on the doors, engine bay, interior plastic, carpet, etc. Whatever else needs to be cleaned gets it.

Leather cleaner and conditioner - I use lexol, but leatherique also has good reviews.

Stoner invisible glass cleaner - works like a charm. It gets my interior glass crystal clear.

RainX - I use it on my front and back windshields.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
weaver

Hate to jump in here, but had a question about the Megs D103. Isn't this just a cleaner and not a Protectant? I got the aerospace protectant for all of my exterior and interior trim. Do I need to clean before I protect after each wash on the interior? It is just me most of the time in the car, so it doesn't get very dirty.

I am getting chrome wheels, so just curious once they are dry, what is the best product to use to shine them up. I was always told windex, but it is probably not.

Last edited by weaver; 04-14-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:20 PM
J2S2M

Originally Posted by philter25
If you are getting the porter cable, backing pad, polishing pads, and megs polishes, have you price checked this kit to see if its a better deal:

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads | Detailed Image

Of if you want the 5.5 inch pads, then what you have is fine.

Yes, I thought that 5.5 would be more versatile than the larger 6.5

My only questions would be why so many pads? 6 orange light cutting pads?

I wanted to stock up on the orange pads for the extra savings plus it they seem to be the most widely used pad with different products.

I use the Megs 105/205 combo and I have 2 cyan pads for the M105 and 2 white pads for the M205. Clean them in snappy pad cleaner after using them, and I have never needed more than 2 colored pads for any car.

Also, the polish kit you chose comes with clay, but you added more clay to your cart. Just checking to make sure this was intentional. Also, how are you going to use the clay? Did I miss a QD?

Same with the clay, I just wanted to purchase another and stock up during the current sale. For the lubricant, I have the Meg's Ultimate QD available already.

The sonax wheel cleaner gets good reviews, although I havent tried it.

Yes, I also have seen great feedbacks on this product. Excited to try it out.

For me, the must haves are:

2 bucket wash with grit guard - only need 1 grit guard, but I use 2. I picked up the large buckets at Lowes or Home Depot for 3 bucks each. AND I picked up the lids so you can store stuff in the buckets and put the lid on to keep dust and dirt from getting on them.

Good sudsing car wash / shampoo - Everyone has their preference. I use Meguiars Gold Class for my normal washes, Chemical Guys citrus wash for when I need to degrease the car before polishing, and Optimum No Rinse for winter washes when the hose is turned off. As long as you pick any of the top selling shampoos on DI's site, you are in good shape. I also have P21s total auto wash, its not cheap, but its a fantastic degreaser. It pretty much gets EVERYTHING off. If you want to strip everything off your paint and get a clean surface before polishing, it works like a charm. But its not cheap.

Wash mitt for car - I only have 1

Wash mitt/sponge for rims/tires - I only have 1, and it never touches the paint.

Waffle weave drying towel - 1 towel can do 1 full car, I have 2

DI microfiber towels - I use these for interior cleaning, applying QDs, removing residual polish, and buffing out wax/sealant

Quick Detailer - Use it for when you car is slightly dirty, but doesnt need the full wash. Or for a clay bar lubricant. I use optimum opti-clean and like it very much.

Porter Cable polish package. I love the PC package with the Megs 105/205 and the Hydro tech pads. 2 cyan pads for the M105 and 2 tangerine for the M205. If I was buying from scratch, thats what Id get. Comes with backing pad to connect the pads to the polisher. The Megs combo should cover almost all of your polishing needs.

Sealant - I use the Menzerna FMJ and blackfire sealant with a blue polishing pad. It goes on easy, and buff off residual with a microfiber towel and last longer than waxes.

Pad cleaner - I usually buy the snappy pad cleaner in bulk. You will use it. It keeps your pads good as new.

Other semi-important items:

All purpose cleaner - I use the Megs D103. I spray it in my wheel wells and let it sit, use it on the under carriage, on the doors, engine bay, interior plastic, carpet, etc. Whatever else needs to be cleaned gets it.

Leather cleaner and conditioner - I use lexol, but leatherique also has good reviews.

Stoner invisible glass cleaner - works like a charm. It gets my interior glass crystal clear.

RainX - I use it on my front and back windshields.
I really appreciate you taking the time to give me a very detailed feedback and recommendations on products. I will go through the recommended products and adjust my purchase accordingly. Once I complete my first detail, I will be sure to post pics of the results. I am so excited!

Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I really appreciate you taking the time to give me a very detailed feedback and recommendations on products. I will go through the recommended products and adjust my purchase accordingly. Once I complete my first detail, I will be sure to post pics of the results. I am so excited!

Thanks again.

No probem. I just wanted to point out a few things incase they werent intentional.

My only suggestion would still be on the 6 orange pads. I wouldnt agree that they are the most used.

For me, the pads I use the most would be the tangerine/white/green with light polishes. They get your normal swirl marks and minor scuffs out easily and are usually my go to combination for my every 6-8 month polish and re-seal for both of my cars.

I only use my orange/cyan pad with M105 when I have to do a friends car who has some serious scratches.

Heres one of my older detail threads. These scratches are what the Orange/M105 will get out.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/b4-n-af...ry-hybrid.html

Unless you are doing cars much worse than this on a regular basis, you shouldnt need more than 2 orange/cyan pads at any 1 time. And if you clean them, they will last a long time.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Saved Cart

Looks good to me no big changes needed. I would suggest getting some good microfiber towels though to hand remove the excess product. A few of the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel should help remove the left over clay lube, polish, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Dingo6610
How often do you recommend to polish and wax your car?
It's really up to you. I generally recommend a full detail twice a year where you wash, clay, polish and seal or wax. In between you can wash and protect as much as you'd like.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by weaver
Hate to jump in here, but had a question about the Megs D103. Isn't this just a cleaner and not a Protectant? I got the aerospace protectant for all of my exterior and interior trim. Do I need to clean before I protect after each wash on the interior? It is just me most of the time in the car, so it doesn't get very dirty.

I am getting chrome wheels, so just curious once they are dry, what is the best product to use to shine them up. I was always told windex, but it is probably not.
Thank you for the question I'm happy to help. The Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103 is a very strong degreaser that should be diluted. I pretty much just use it on the exterior panels, wheel wells, tires, etc. For the interior I clean it with the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover first. It's a versatile and gentle cleaner that works great on the interior vinyl, plastic, fabrics and more. After that protect the vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather, etc. with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's a great UV protectant that leaves a nice matte finish. If the interior has recently been cleaned and it just a tiny bit dusty you could spray this formula on a clean microfiber towel (DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel) and wipe. The towel is statically charged so it can pull in contaminants while spreading the 303 AP.

For chrome wheels I suggest the SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect. It works great and is very gentle.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image