Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by blakej
Hey Greg,

I've got a new 2011 G37 and I'm wondering what the best maintenance/preventive care is for the leather seats. I saw your post about leatherique rejuvinator and pristine clean - but are either of these good for keeping new seats maintained? I'm trying to keep the seats from forming creases as much as possible.

Also, what about maintaining the vinyl? Years ago on my previous car I used armor all, but that seemed to leave it oily and made it hold dust. Is there a better recommendation for the G? Is it needed/beneficial at all?

Last, the G owners manual says not to use any tire dressing because it could react with the tire manufacturer's coating - but if one is used, make sure it isn't oil based. Any recommendations on a good one to shine them up without adverse reactions?

-Blake
Blake,

Thank you for the question. The Leatherique products are excellent for cleaning, conditioning and protection. By keeping the seats at their natural moisture level with the conditioners you help ensure they won't dry out and crack. You can also add UV protection with a product like the Optimum Protectant Plus, which I recommend.

I use the same exact product to protect my rubber, vinyl, plastic, etc. from UV fading. It leaves a great matte finish while enhancing the way each surface looks. Best of all it doesn't trap or collect dust like some oily forms of protection.

For the tires use a water based dressing like the Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright. It provides a really dark and glossy finish. If you want an overly glossy look apply two nice thin coatings. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 PM
blakej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Greg. Placed my order for the protectant and tire dressing. I'll be ordering the leatherique in a couple months when its warmer and I'm ready to go through all those steps for the leather.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by blakej
Thanks Greg. Placed my order for the protectant and tire dressing. I'll be ordering the leatherique in a couple months when its warmer and I'm ready to go through all those steps for the leather.
The purchase is sincerely appreciated! We'll have the Leatherique products in stock for whenever you are ready. I hope you enjoy the new products and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Poe408

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing beats detailed image's customer service

i know this thread is for asking questions but i just wanted to post a mini review for anybody who might be on the fence about making an order.

i don't know whether digital image has the best price around (i didn't really look) but i was sold by their commitment as soon as i saw these "ask a professional detailer" threads on various different car forums.

their customer service cannot get any better. you can tell that customer satisfaction is obviously their #1 priority. my most recent order with them... fedex apparently decided to drop my package down a 30 story building or something, but greg instantly offered me a replacement 32oz bottle of leatherique or a $30 store credit. he did this before even starting the claim process with fedex. he could be out $30 if fedex decides not to honor his claim, but customer satisfaction is obviously more important to him.

thanks detailed image!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Thank you for the purchase! I very much appreciate the post about our customer service. We do work hard to always help out our customers before, during and after any sale. I also appreciate you pointing out that we may not win the claim with FedEx because you are exactly right. I have no idea why we win some and not others but we certainly get denied enough times that we lose money. Either way we will always take care of customers. Thank you again and take care!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
George,

I hadn't been doing much detailing lately but I finally got a chance today to try out the Meguiar's M95/M105/M205 I got form you a long time ago. I was impressed. I tried all 3 on both the PC XP with 4" pads and my Flex with 6.5" pads. I like it and will probably use them to do a full detail for a show upcoming next week.

I have a question. Will you be carrying the new Flex 4 3/8" backing plates? If so when do you expect them to be available?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Black Betty
George,

I hadn't been doing much detailing lately but I finally got a chance today to try out the Meguiar's M95/M105/M205 I got form you a long time ago. I was impressed. I tried all 3 on both the PC XP with 4" pads and my Flex with 6.5" pads. I like it and will probably use them to do a full detail for a show upcoming next week.

I have a question. Will you be carrying the new Flex 4 3/8" backing plates? If so when do you expect them to be available?
Glad to hear that combo is working out for you. We'll have the new backing plate asap. We have an order for them already placed and we expect it to be here sometime in March, but there is no date from the mfg as far as I know.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Poe408

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey greg, when layering carnauba wax, is there any point when there are no more benefits to putting on more layers? from reading your website tutorials, it seems that carnauba wax will layer as long as you wait 24 hours between applications. is this true no matter how many layers you put on or do they stop after a few coats?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Poe408
hey greg, when layering carnauba wax, is there any point when there are no more benefits to putting on more layers? from reading your website tutorials, it seems that carnauba wax will layer as long as you wait 24 hours between applications. is this true no matter how many layers you put on or do they stop after a few coats?
Yes you can certainly apply multiple coats for increased protection and shine. Some waxes cure faster than others so 24 hours is to be absolutely safe. However the majority of the wax will completely cure within the first hour or so and be completely done soon there after. I generally like 2 - 3 coats, after that the law of diminishing returns starts to apply more noticeably. I'd say 5 coats is about the maximum that I would do, but this is pushing it pretty far. Applying a sealant before hand is also another option that in my opinion makes a lot of sense as well, if you haven't already. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong with my Malbec Black G?

Im using Gtechniq P1. Ive tried all sorts of pads (Lake Country hydro, tangerine and crimson; Excel/Lake Country erasure, yellow, white, black, red) and speed combos. I keep ending up with best can be described as hologramming, but Im just using a lowly original PC random orbital.

The car looks like it has a haze on it under halogens, which then looks like this hologramming when under direct sun.

Is this Malbec Black Infinitis version of BMW Jet Black? Am I ever going to be able to get it better again?

For reference, this is a pic of what Im seeing in the direct sunlight: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14958505/201...2017.57.53.jpg

Do you guys do actual details? Im in CT, but honestly dont mind driving to get it to somewhere I can trust.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong with my Malbec Black G?

Im using Gtechniq P1. Ive tried all sorts of pads (Lake Country hydro, tangerine and crimson; Excel/Lake Country erasure, yellow, white, black, red) and speed combos. I keep ending up with best can be described as hologramming, but Im just using a lowly original PC random orbital.

The car looks like it has a haze on it under halogens, which then looks like this hologramming when under direct sun.

Is this Malbec Black Infinitis version of BMW Jet Black? Am I ever going to be able to get it better again?

For reference, this is a pic of what Im seeing in the direct sunlight: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14958505/201...2017.57.53.jpg

Do you guys do actual details? Im in CT, but honestly dont mind driving to get it to somewhere I can trust.
I got your e-mail as well and I'm going to copy my e-mail response here for others to read.
Sorry to see those holograms, that is unfortunate. Before polishing mist a little bit of quick detailer on your pad or prime it by smearing a little bit of polish on the pad so it's not too dry. If a new pad is dry it can cause some hazing as well. I guess I would be inclined to try a product that I'm more familiar with. I would start off with a light pad and polish combo like the Meguiar's M105 or the Menzerna PO106FA and a white pad or possibly even a crimson pad if you want to be extra soft/safe. If that does not remove the haze I'd suggest moving up to the Menzerna PO83 or the Meguiar's M105. After this combo move back down to a lighter pad and polish combo. This should help get rid of the haze and restore an optically clear clear coat.

You may even have to finish down with a blue or crimson pad and the Menzerna Micro Finish (PO85RD Polish).

If you need a detailer in CT check out Kevin at Gotham Auto and let him know I referred you. Gotham Auto Works

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg
Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 PM
lzzhang10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackfire tire gel

Hi Greg,
Is the blackfire tire gel supposed to be oily on the wheel even after many days letting it sit in the garage? I was expecting it to become dry or at least tacky.
Wouldn't the tire gel attract dust to the tire, being semi-wet?
Thanks,
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by lzzhang10
Hi Greg,
Is the blackfire tire gel supposed to be oily on the wheel even after many days letting it sit in the garage? I was expecting it to become dry or at least tacky.
Wouldn't the tire gel attract dust to the tire, being semi-wet?
Thanks,
Before applying any dressing it's critical to really clean the tires for optimal results. Sometimes 1 - 2+ cleanings with a scrub brush and a tire cleaner is needed (TUF SHINE Tire Brush and TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner). If there is a lot of old dressing sitting on the surface it's possible the new application will not work properly. So after cleaning apply a nice thin coating of the Blackfire Long Lasting Tire Gel with the supplied free Tire Dressing Applicator. If you apply it pretty thin it shouldn't feel overly oily and tacky or attract too much dust. I've used this product and then driven in some really dirty parking lots and the tires still looked pretty good. If you want something more permanent that is anti-static try the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
What could I use to rid some scuffs from adhesive removal. I used Goo Gone but may have appied to much pressure. I have some scuffs that need removal. THX!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

When you say scuffs to do you mean some ultra fine scratches in the paint? If so you'll need to polish them with something like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and then move up to the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 if needed.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image