Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Nobes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey. I think I may have messed up my new leather seats in my MDX. Yesterday I used Megs leather wipes Meguiar's Direct Gold Class™ Rich Leather Wipes, which I've used before with decent results on my G37. Unfortunately, when I got inside my two-week old MDX this morning all the leather looked wet in some spots and streaked in others. I tried wiping it off with a dry towel but that didn't really work. Any solutions? Should I not have used these wipes on such a new interior? Any help/advice you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Nobes
Hey. I think I may have messed up my new leather seats in my MDX. Yesterday I used Megs leather wipes Meguiar's Direct Gold Class™ Rich Leather Wipes, which I've used before with decent results on my G37. Unfortunately, when I got inside my two-week old MDX this morning all the leather looked wet in some spots and streaked in others. I tried wiping it off with a dry towel but that didn't really work. Any solutions? Should I not have used these wipes on such a new interior? Any help/advice you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'd suggest using some sort of degreaser / all purpose cleaner on your leather, then follow up with a quality leather care product to go back and nourish the leather. Something like P21S Total Auto Wash will help rid any product from the surface and still be safe for your leather. Then I'd recommend following up with something specific for leather. Ideally, something like Leatherique Prestine Clean would be ideal, but if you didn't want to spend that much on a product, Poorboy's Leather Stuff is another good option to follow up with. I never trust products that are in wipe form... stick with stuff that has been proven to work.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Nobes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I'd suggest using some sort of degreaser / all purpose cleaner on your leather, then follow up with a quality leather care product to go back and nourish the leather. Something like P21S Total Auto Wash will help rid any product from the surface and still be safe for your leather. Then I'd recommend following up with something specific for leather. Ideally, something like Leatherique Prestine Clean would be ideal, but if you didn't want to spend that much on a product, Poorboy's Leather Stuff is another good option to follow up with. I never trust products that are in wipe form... stick with stuff that has been proven to work.
Consider that lesson LEARNED! Thank you so much. I will follow your advice. Do I have to hurry on this? In other words, will the oily stains set-in after a certain amount of time? I don't think I can do anything other than the de-grease step before this weekend.

PS> You just made a sale!! Thank you so much.

Last edited by Nobes; 11-29-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Nobes
Consider that lesson LEARNED! Thank you so much. I will follow your advice. Do I have to hurry on this? In other words, will the oily stains set-in after a certain amount of time? I don't think I can do anything other than the de-grease step before this weekend.

PS> You just made a sale!! Thank you so much.
No problem, you may want to get a small scrub brush to work the product into the leather. Get to it as sooner the better, you don't want it to sit there any longer than needed. Appreciate the sale, let me know how everything turns out.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
George P21S Total Auto Wash is one of those products I've always wanted to try, just haven't got around to it. But seriously...after seeing you just recommend it for leather...I'm about to order some from you.

Can you give a quick review of it? I always thought of it for engine, wheels, wells, etc. But leather???
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey. I have a question. i don't think I can go throu 82 pages to find my answer but lol.
I have a black G37, I bought my car 2010 Jan, Waxed only once in Feb. 2010, and had hand carwash at a good shop once every week or two since then. Now I see little scractches up close to my car. What should I do? is there package deal that I can purchase and remove the little scratches that I see up close? waxing it again won't remove the scratches right?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
George P21S Total Auto Wash is one of those products I've always wanted to try, just haven't got around to it. But seriously...after seeing you just recommend it for leather...I'm about to order some from you.

Can you give a quick review of it? I always thought of it for engine, wheels, wells, etc. But leather???
Total Auto Wash is one of those all purpose cleaners that can be used safely virtually on any surface since it's citrus based. You can use it on just about all of your interior surfaces, plastic, rubber, leather, vinyl, carpet (I wouldn't use it on glass or say your navigation screen).

That being said it also works on those same surfaces on the exterior or engine bay. It makes for a great tire degreaser, wheel well cleaner, engine bay degreaser, on exhaust tips, prepping exterior trim, and even as a paint degreaser.

The downside of TAW is it can be expensive compared to other degreasers out there and considering you can use it almost everywhere, a lot of our customers end up buying the 5000 ml instead of the 1000 ml kits. It's definitely a product I'd recommend having on hand for those situations where you aren't sure what to use, it's almost always safe to give TAW a shot.

Originally Posted by JoshLee89
Hey. I have a question. i don't think I can go throu 82 pages to find my answer but lol.
I have a black G37, I bought my car 2010 Jan, Waxed only once in Feb. 2010, and had hand carwash at a good shop once every week or two since then. Now I see little scractches up close to my car. What should I do? is there package deal that I can purchase and remove the little scratches that I see up close? waxing it again won't remove the scratches right?
Polishing is what will remove the swirls, scratches and other imperfections from your paint. To do it properly, you'll want to invest in a buffer, the right pads and some polishes. I'd suggest looking at the Meguiar's M105 / M205 polishes with the Porter Cable 7424XP buffer. You're going to want to read up on how to properly polish your car. Here are a couple of articles I'd suggest:

Polishing Guide
M105/M205 How-To

Let me know if you have questions after reading through those.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright, I finally broke down and placed a big order. I plan on using these products on my silver G37 and my black Audi Q7 (it's paint is in pretty bad shape). Is there anything I am missing? I already have clay bars, quick detailing spray, interior/leather cleaning products, and lots of microfiber towels.

1 Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) - 16 oz (w/PBW Blue Trigger) $8.09
1 Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax - 8 oz $12.99
1 Poorboy's World Super Slick & Suds - 32 oz $14.39
1 Poorboy's World EX-P Sealant - 16 oz $16.19
1 Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) - 16 oz $24.29
1 Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 - 16 oz $21.99
1 P21S Total Auto Wash - 1000 ml Kit $15.29
1 303 Aerospace Protectant - 32 oz $16.99
2 Stoner Invisible Glass - 19 oz $7.98
1 Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Swirl Finder Spotlight $24.29
2 DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt $13.98
2 DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24" $32.38
2 DI Accessories Foam Applicator Pad $2.68
2 Lake Country Tire Dressing Applicator $3.58
2 Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert $11.98
2 Lake Country Red Foam Applicator Pad $4.48
3 Lake Country Snappy Clean Pad Cleaner $3.59
1 Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad - 5.5 inch $8.09
1 Lake Country Hydro Tech Tangerine Ultra Fine Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch $8.09
1 Lake Country Hydro Tech Cyan Light Cutting and Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch $8.09
1 DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit $194.99

My plan is to use the cyan/tangerine or orange/white pads with the Menzerna polish, and possibly finish it off with a black/blue pad. Thoughts?

Last edited by jran76; 12-02-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by jran76
Alright, I finally broke down and placed a big order. I plan on using these products on my silver G37 and my black Audi Q7 (it's paint is in pretty bad shape). Is there anything I am missing? I already have clay bars, quick detailing spray, interior/leather cleaning products, and lots of microfiber towels.

1 Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) - 16 oz (w/PBW Blue Trigger) $8.09
1 Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax - 8 oz $12.99
1 Poorboy's World Super Slick & Suds - 32 oz $14.39
1 Poorboy's World EX-P Sealant - 16 oz $16.19
1 Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) - 16 oz $24.29
1 Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 - 16 oz $21.99
1 P21S Total Auto Wash - 1000 ml Kit $15.29
1 303 Aerospace Protectant - 32 oz $16.99
2 Stoner Invisible Glass - 19 oz $7.98
1 Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Swirl Finder Spotlight $24.29
2 DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt $13.98
2 DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24" $32.38
2 DI Accessories Foam Applicator Pad $2.68
2 Lake Country Tire Dressing Applicator $3.58
2 Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert $11.98
2 Lake Country Red Foam Applicator Pad $4.48
3 Lake Country Snappy Clean Pad Cleaner $3.59
1 Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad - 5.5 inch $8.09
1 Lake Country Hydro Tech Tangerine Ultra Fine Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch $8.09
1 Lake Country Hydro Tech Cyan Light Cutting and Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch $8.09
1 DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit $194.99

My plan is to use the cyan/tangerine or orange/white pads with the Menzerna polish, and possibly finish it off with a black/blue pad. Thoughts?
Looks like you picked up a great package to get you going on polishing. Everything should be perfect for your G but depending on how bad your paint is on the Audi, you may need to go with something more aggressive. Infiniti is known for having very soft paint, where Audi is the complete opposite with rock hard paint. If you make a couple passes with the SIP / cyan and it's not putting a dent in the imperfections, I'd probably suggest picking up a small 8 oz bottle of Meguiar's M105 for a more aggressive option if needed and some Cyan or Yellow pads if the Cyan isn't doing it.

Looking forward to hearing about your results, keep us posted!

Thanks again for your support
Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 PM
jran76

Looks like you picked up a great package to get you going on polishing. Everything should be perfect for your G but depending on how bad your paint is on the Audi, you may need to go with something more aggressive. Infiniti is known for having very soft paint, where Audi is the complete opposite with rock hard paint. If you make a couple passes with the SIP / cyan and it's not putting a dent in the imperfections, I'd probably suggest picking up a small 8 oz bottle of Meguiar's M105 for a more aggressive option if needed and some Cyan or Yellow pads if the Cyan isn't doing it.

Looking forward to hearing about your results, keep us posted!

Thanks again for your support
Thanks for the feedback. That is good to know about the Audi paint. My Infiniti paint is in great shape, but the Audi is in pretty bad shape. I'll post my results when finished. The Audi is up first.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Thanks for the feedback. That is good to know about the Audi paint. My Infiniti paint is in great shape, but the Audi is in pretty bad shape. I'll post my results when finished. The Audi is up first.
Sounds good, let me know if there's anything else I can help with. Looking forward to hearing about your results.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
maxximase
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Does anyone here have experience using Brown Royal wheel cleaner?

It's reported to be as close to a no-scrub wheel cleaner as you can get. There are several convincing videos on youtube as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by maxximase
Does anyone here have experience using Brown Royal wheel cleaner?

It's reported to be as close to a no-scrub wheel cleaner as you can get. There are several convincing videos on youtube as well.
I haven't heard of this product until now. There are no scrub wheel cleaners out there if you use them properly with a pressure washer. The problem is they can usually be harmful to certain finishes like the product you posted stated. Also, if you care for your wheels regularly and don't let brake dust build up, brake dust will typically be removed with normal soap and water on a mitt without scrubbing. It will also help if you protect your wheels with a sealant of some sort, Poorboy's Wheel Sealant is my favorite so far.

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener + Pressure Washer = an effective no scrub wheel cleaner (on the right finishes)
Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM
jran76

Sounds good, let me know if there's anything else I can help with. Looking forward to hearing about your results.

Quick report.... All done with the Audi after 3 days of work. I'll never complain about what detailers charge again because to do it right takes a lot of time. My process was: Wash, Dry, Clay, Rinse, Tape, Polish, Sealant, Wax, Rinse. I taped off EVERYTHING which was time consuming, but worth the extra effort.

Overall, a lot of hard work, some learning along the way, and good results. The paint looks great, but I definitely need something more aggressive for the Audi paint. I used the Menzerna SIP, and I need something slightly more abrasive. It did a good job with the swirls and minor scratches, but there were a lot of deeper scratches that it did not fully get out. I knew this was likely going in based on what was said about the Audi paint, but I wanted to take it somewhat easy my first time. I also skipped the 2nd stage of polishing with the nano polish because I did not have time. The Audi is black, but I did not get any hazing or marring (probably because the paint is so hard).

Overall, it looks great and I am happy with the results. I will try to get some pics, but I had to drop the car off for service and I am not sure when I am getting it back.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Quick report.... All done with the Audi after 3 days of work. I'll never complain about what detailers charge again because to do it right takes a lot of time. My process was: Wash, Dry, Clay, Rinse, Tape, Polish, Sealant, Wax, Rinse. I taped off EVERYTHING which was time consuming, but worth the extra effort.

Overall, a lot of hard work, some learning along the way, and good results. The paint looks great, but I definitely need something more aggressive for the Audi paint. I used the Menzerna SIP, and I need something slightly more abrasive. It did a good job with the swirls and minor scratches, but there were a lot of deeper scratches that it did not fully get out. I knew this was likely going in based on what was said about the Audi paint, but I wanted to take it somewhat easy my first time. I also skipped the 2nd stage of polishing with the nano polish because I did not have time. The Audi is black, but I did not get any hazing or marring (probably because the paint is so hard).

Overall, it looks great and I am happy with the results. I will try to get some pics, but I had to drop the car off for service and I am not sure when I am getting it back.
Thanks for the update. Down the road you can tackle the paint with a more aggressive option if you choose. At least you were able to finish with the SIP and not see any hazing or marring.

Glad to hear things turned out pretty good, deep imperfections can be a PITA and require a lot of time, patience and experience to perfect (not to mention the right tools and products to get the job done).

Happy holidays, let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image