Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 PM
SnoopDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi George, thanks! I managed to take some pics after work today but it was already getting dark... It looks awesome during the day but I didn't have my camera and a craptastic BB camera would not do it justice you can find the pics here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...ow-grease.html

One additional comment. The exterior window trim on the G is quite soft/tacky, so the glue from the blue masking tape left some residue which I'll need to clean up, any ideas on product to use?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SnoopDawg
Hi George, thanks! I managed to take some pics after work today but it was already getting dark... It looks awesome during the day but I didn't have my camera and a craptastic BB camera would not do it justice you can find the pics here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...ow-grease.html

One additional comment. The exterior window trim on the G is quite soft/tacky, so the glue from the blue masking tape left some residue which I'll need to clean up, any ideas on product to use?
Car is looking very clean! For the exterior window trim, I like to use a citrus degreaser to clean up any residue. Something like P21S Total Auto Wash is usually what I turn to for clean up on trim and other sensitive places. Mist a tiny bit onto a microfiber towel and gently clean the surface.

Any degreaser would do the trick, but the P21S is nice because it's safe on virtually any surface.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

George
Old 12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
SnoopDawg

Hi George, so I managed to take one during the day today

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by SnoopDawg; 01-01-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by SnoopDawg
Hi George, so I managed to take one during the day today

Thanks for the tips!
Very impressive!!! That black looks like a VERY DEEP. You'll be turning heads for sure!

Congrats again on a job well done.

George
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so where does the wool/polyester bonnet come into play when it comes to polishing, or are we only using foam pads?
if using foam pads, would it fit into my 7" polisher/sander?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Hi,

On the picture below you can see that there are somewhat see that there are imperfection on the headlight cover most likely from road debris and grim. Is there a way to return the surface of my headlight to how they looked and felt on day one?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by fmrlegend
so where does the wool/polyester bonnet come into play when it comes to polishing, or are we only using foam pads?
Wool / polyester pads or bonnets are commonly used to remove deeper imperfections. Our Purple Foamed Wool pad cuts as much if not more than our yellow foam cutting pad, however, since it doesn't create as much heat as that foam pads do, it tends to finish down finer. Some detailers will use a wool pad on a light setting to remove products, but I always recommend using a microfiber towel via hand to remove products.

Does your polisher have a 7" hook and loop backing plate? If so I'd recommend going with 7.5" pads are larger. You want to avoid using a pad smaller than your backing plate. If your backing plate were to touch your paint, you're sure to cause some damage.

If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Originally Posted by soolman32
Hi,

On the picture below you can see that there are somewhat see that there are imperfection on the headlight cover most likely from road debris and grim. Is there a way to return the surface of my headlight to how they looked and felt on day one?
Take a look at this article on headlight restoration. I'd start with a light polish before you get into wet sanding. You always want to start with the least aggressive approach and work your way up as needed.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

George
Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Thanks for the article. Any particular polishing product you would recommend?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by soolman32
Thanks for the article. Any particular polishing product you would recommend?
I know a lot of detailers turn to Meguiar's M105 / M205 combo for headlight restoration as well as paint correction. One of the most versatile two step polishing combinations you could go with and they work fairly well even by hand application.

Let us know how things turn out.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:08 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

My polisher/sander does not have a hook and loop backing, just a cone shaped adapter in the middle to hold down the bonnet. I don't want to use the wool pad since it is for a heavier cut. How can I get the foam pad to stick on my polisher then?
Thanks a bunch, Steve
Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Ok, what am I doing wrong? I'm using Meguirs Glaze #7 with my wool/synthetic blend pad. The glaze seems like it gets rub into the paint but not really breaking down. Its sorta a pain to wipe off with a towel as well. Any advice??? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 PM
woj027
Registered Member

I don't know if this is the place to ask, and since I don't know what exactly the product is called.

I think it's a 3M product, or a Clear Bra? or something of that sort.

I'm trying to figure out if I want the product on my new 2010 G37x.

I think at the least I want it on the corners of my doors, but how about over headlights, or the front of the car?

Any suggestions on what product to use, other links within the forum would be great.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Ross57

Hi, George. I'm located just down the road from you in Troy! I just purchaed a new 2009 G37x and, like woj207, would love to know whether you recommend a Clear Bra for the car, and, if so, whether you recommend any installers in the Capital District.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

My polisher/sander does not have a hook and loop backing, just a cone shaped adapter in the middle to hold down the bonnet. I don't want to use the wool pad since it is for a heavier cut. How can I get the foam pad to stick on my polisher then?
Thanks a bunch, Steve
You could see if it's an interchangeable backing plate. If not, you'll be stuck with whatever the manufacturer offers for pads / bonnets. This is one of the main reasons there are only a few recommended buffers to pro detailers, you want the ability to change backing plates, use various grade pads, different sizes, etc.

Ok, what am I doing wrong? I'm using Meguirs Glaze #7 with my wool/synthetic blend pad. The glaze seems like it gets rub into the paint but not really breaking down. Its sorta a pain to wipe off with a towel as well. Any advice??? Thanks!
A glaze usually isn't applied with a wool pad. Wool pads are typically designed for compounding the paint to remove imperfections and offer an aggressive cut to them. Since glazes are non-abrasive, they usually only require a tiny bit of pressure on a soft finishing pad.

In a lot of cases, the amount of product used can alter how easy or difficult a product is to remove. Most people apply too much product to the paint and the excess can be difficult to remove at times. Ideally you want to spread the product as thin as possible while being worked into the paint.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by woj027
I don't know if this is the place to ask, and since I don't know what exactly the product is called.

I think it's a 3M product, or a Clear Bra? or something of that sort.

I'm trying to figure out if I want the product on my new 2010 G37x.

I think at the least I want it on the corners of my doors, but how about over headlights, or the front of the car?

Any suggestions on what product to use, other links within the forum would be great.
Originally Posted by Ross57
Hi, George. I'm located just down the road from you in Troy! I just purchaed a new 2009 G37x and, like woj207, would love to know whether you recommend a Clear Bra for the car, and, if so, whether you recommend any installers in the Capital District.
I have never opted for a clear bra on one of my cars, so I don't have any recommendations on a local installer. Having a quality install is what makes the clear bra investment worth while. Poor installs can have bubbles, curl around the edges and other eye sores to them. I've seen some installs where I didn't even know there was a clear bra on the vehicle from a few feet away. If I knew of a place that did high quality work, I'd give it some consideration on my next car.

Sorry for the delayed replies, hope you had a great holiday!

George
Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Hello George- I've got two questions. First, I've had great results using Blackfire products on my Nissan and Infiniti products, but I've also tried Menzerna's FMJ and that line.

1) Since I live in Colorado, we're right in the middle of a very cold winter. How cold is too cold to apply my sealant and polishes?

2) I'm noticing my polishing and sealant pads (PC random orbital) are starting to lose their colors after multiple washings. I use a microfiber soap to wash them, but wonder when I should replace them? What's a reasonable amount of use to consider?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image