Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 AM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks George for my new goodies. I'll try them out this weekend for sure.

Neil
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwang
You guys should carry the Swissvax Crystal Rock by Paul Dalton, retails for... $1,100. ;]
That thing better be impenetrable lol. And I thought the DoDo for $129 was high...
Let me know if you're ready for a jar, I'm sure I can get one in your hands

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Two questions for the pros:

1) If you machine wash and dry your MF towels, how do you keep them from having lots of static? I dry them on low heat in the dryer with no fabric softener sheets but they have so much static that they really attract lots of dust when I use them on the paint. Any tips?

2) After applying glaze, if the car gets rained on before applying an LSP, is the glaze washed away? What if you have to rewash the car, does glaze need to be reapplied first before LSP?
Jeremy, good questions. In a way, microfiber is designed to attract dust and other light particles, this is what often makes them more effective as interior dusters and for removing a light dusting from your paint. They shouldn't be ultra-static-y though.

What kind of detergent and how much detergent are you using? Are you washing your microfiber towels only with other microfiber towels? I'll try to dig up some info on why your towels may have extra static on them.

Most glazes will bond to the car to some extent. If it were to rain, you should be ok. I think if you were to wash the car with just a glaze on it, most of the fillers would be removed if it wasn't protected with a layer of sealant or wax. It also depends on what type of shampoo you were using, one with a strong cleaner will more than likely strip off anything the glaze left behind, a gentle maintenance shampoo should leave most of the glaze still on the paint.

I know these aren't definitive answers, but I hope it helps a little.

Originally Posted by n_jay888
Thanks George for my new goodies. I'll try them out this weekend for sure.

Neil
Neil, keep us posted on how everything turns out for you. Thanks again for your support

George
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 AM
jds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey George,

I've tried some aerospace protectant, but am looking for something that's a bit more of a "spray and wipe" type of interior maintenance product. Any suggestions?

The aerospace protectant was fine for protection, but required a lot more drying or rubbing out than I want to do every couple of weeks.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 AM
jds

First proper exterior work

My son and I spend a couple hours today doing my first proper exterior care-taking of my new car. After 2 months of ownership, it was time.

A nice wash got it ready for clay. I used a Chemical Guys Fine Grade Clay Bar with Poorboy's Spray & Wipe. I cut the clay up into 8 pieces and dropped the first piece about half way through. We used about 9 or 10 oz of the spray and wipe to get the job done. I have to say that the feel of the car's surface after using the clay was remarkable. I've never felt a paint job so smooth.

After the second wash, we pulled it into the garage and applied a coat of FMJ. Wow. All I can say is wow. The car looks and feel wondrous. I'm really interested to see how long the finish holds up this nicely.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 AM
08ivorypearl

hi again george, i need help!!! i keep my car clean, veeeeeery clean. ive had it for like 9 months and all ive done to maintain the interior is vaccum! what else can i do to my interior/seats to maintain them? and how do i get makeup off the roof?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by jds
Hey George,

I've tried some aerospace protectant, but am looking for something that's a bit more of a "spray and wipe" type of interior maintenance product. Any suggestions?

The aerospace protectant was fine for protection, but required a lot more drying or rubbing out than I want to do every couple of weeks.

Thanks
Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean by a spray and wipe product? Aerospace Protectant has zero cleaning characteristics, it's simply a UV protectant and dressing. Any cleaning that you may have done with it would have been the result of the rubbing of the towel and the lubrication the AP provided. Are you looking for more of an all in one product that cleans and protects?

Originally Posted by jds
My son and I spend a couple hours today doing my first proper exterior care-taking of my new car. After 2 months of ownership, it was time.

A nice wash got it ready for clay. I used a Chemical Guys Fine Grade Clay Bar with Poorboy's Spray & Wipe. I cut the clay up into 8 pieces and dropped the first piece about half way through. We used about 9 or 10 oz of the spray and wipe to get the job done. I have to say that the feel of the car's surface after using the clay was remarkable. I've never felt a paint job so smooth.

After the second wash, we pulled it into the garage and applied a coat of FMJ. Wow. All I can say is wow. The car looks and feel wondrous. I'm really interested to see how long the finish holds up this nicely.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
You should be able to maintain the look for months as long as you care for your vehicle on a regular basis. Since you properly prepped the paint by claying the vehicle, I'd expect between 3 - 4 months out of the FMJ. Make sure you are using the proper washing and drying techniques along with a shampoo designed for maintaining protection (some are strong and will strip off protection).

Keep us posted on how long it lasts for you, I'm sure others would like to know. Enjoy the new look of your car!

Originally Posted by 08ivorypearl
hi again george, i need help!!! i keep my car clean, veeeeeery clean. ive had it for like 9 months and all ive done to maintain the interior is vaccum! what else can i do to my interior/seats to maintain them? and how do i get makeup off the roof?
Easiest product to maintain your interior is a 1 step product that cleans and UV protects. I'd highly recommend looking into Optimum Protectant Plus, it's very versatile and works on vinyl, rubber, leather and plastic. It leaves behind a beautiful matte finish.

As far as removing makeup from the roof, I'd recommend using an all purpose cleaner that's safe for upholster, like 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover and a microfiber towel. Mist a little product into the towel and blot the area, don't scrub. Scrubbing could spread the stain to a wider area than it already is. Repeat as needed.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 04-09-2009, 04:56 PM
jds

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean by a spray and wipe product? Aerospace Protectant has zero cleaning characteristics, it's simply a UV protectant and dressing. Any cleaning that you may have done with it would have been the result of the rubbing of the towel and the lubrication the AP provided. Are you looking for more of an all in one product that cleans and protects?

George
I'm looking for something to clean up the interior with (vinyl and leather) every few weeks. The Aerospace Protectant seems more oriented towards "a few times a year for protection" kind of focus. I just want to keep the interior looking nice. My dashboard isn't exactly dirty, it's just a little dust or such. Can I just put water on an MF towel and wipe with that, and then use the AP every month or two?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by jds
I'm looking for something to clean up the interior with (vinyl and leather) every few weeks. The Aerospace Protectant seems more oriented towards "a few times a year for protection" kind of focus. I just want to keep the interior looking nice. My dashboard isn't exactly dirty, it's just a little dust or such. Can I just put water on an MF towel and wipe with that, and then use the AP every month or two?
I think the easiest thing to do is to keep a plush microfiber towel in your glove box and give your interior a wipe down any time you see dust forming. Takes no more than a minute or two and save the 303 for every couple months as you said. If you need to clean up a light stain or something, I usually keep a 4oz pump spray bottle of a mild all purpose cleaner in the glove box as well. Water is another option as you mentioned.

Thanks for clarifying, hope this helps.

George
Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Foresite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any cure for scratched chrome spoiler?

I have a pretty noticable scratch on the chrome spoiler. Is there anyway to fix it?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Michelangelo

Bird Crap

Seems a bird targeted my new black G37 while it was parked at the office today. When I got home I cleaned it off with a damp microfiber towel, but it seems to have left something behind--not sure if its some contaminant that got into the wax, or if it somehow got through to the clear coat (not sure how, since I glazed, sealed, and waxed it less than a week ago).

Anyway, how can I figure out what this "stain" is, and how can I remove it? I've got some clay coming from Detailed Image, would that take care of it?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:25 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Michelangelo
Seems a bird targeted my new black G37 while it was parked at the office today. When I got home I cleaned it off with a damp microfiber towel, but it seems to have left something behind--not sure if its some contaminant that got into the wax, or if it somehow got through to the clear coat (not sure how, since I glazed, sealed, and waxed it less than a week ago).

Anyway, how can I figure out what this "stain" is, and how can I remove it? I've got some clay coming from Detailed Image, would that take care of it?

Thanks!
if the uric acid etched the paint you will need to polish it.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Michelangelo

Originally Posted by GT35R
I wonder if it did...I have glaze, sealer, and wax on the car, could the nasty bird crap stuff have gotten through all that?

I wish I'd been able to catch it just after it happened, but I was in the office all day and didn't see it until I came out.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Foresite
I have a pretty noticable scratch on the chrome spoiler. Is there anyway to fix it?
I don't know of any way to fill in chrome scratches. Are you talking about light swirls or a heavy scratch? Light swirls could be removed with a metal polish of some sort, scratches would need some work.

Originally Posted by Michelangelo

Thanks!
Can you feel the stain? If so, I'd try claying. The next step I'd try a non-abrasive chemical polish, like Klasse All In One. After that, try a light finishing polish. After performing these steps, be sure to treat the area again with the glaze, sealant and wax to put the protection back on.

Originally Posted by GT35R
+1, sometimes even with the proper protection on your paint, certain types of bird droppings can eat through it in a matter of seconds or minutes. A lot of it depends on the birds diet for the day, certain bugs are very acidic.

Keep us posted on how things turn out Michelangelo.

George
Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Foresite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Are you talking about light swirls or a heavy scratch? Light swirls could be removed with a metal polish of some sort, scratches would need some work."

It is relatively light. When I run my finger over it, I cannot feel it. What polish?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey george. I love the dodo juice I picked up from you awhile ago.

Question, what is the best for softening and protecting my black leather?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image