Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Xander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
It's a good idea to strip everything clean before beginning a full detail, using Dawn is one option. Another option instead of washing with Dawn is to use an Isopropyl Alcohol & distilled water mixture as a quick detailer with a microfiber towel.

Keep us posted on how you like Supernatural

George
Mini review is up.

EDIT:I guess it would help if I posted a link
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...74&postcount=4
Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by AussieV36
thanks for the reply,
Smooth as a baby's bottom as they say, looks very much like runoff stains eg if you drive through mud and it splashes onto the wheels.
I might still try a clay bar. Will that affect the finish of the wheels in any way?
Thanks again
Are the wheels alloy or a polished finish? If your wheels are really contaminated and you don't use enough clay lube, then you could introduce some micro-marring on the wheels that would need to be polished out. If the wheels are relatively clean and you're using a fine grade clay bar with plenty of lube, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, it'll just pull contamination from the surface. I'd avoid using a medium grade clay bar, especially if you have a high polished wheel.

Let us know if that helps at all.

Originally Posted by Xander
Mini review is up.

EDIT:I guess it would help if I posted a link
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...74&postcount=4
Very nice! Posted a reply in your thread.

George
Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 AM
AussieV36

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Are the wheels alloy or a polished finish? If your wheels are really contaminated and you don't use enough clay lube, then you could introduce some micro-marring on the wheels that would need to be polished out. If the wheels are relatively clean and you're using a fine grade clay bar with plenty of lube, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, it'll just pull contamination from the surface. I'd avoid using a medium grade clay bar, especially if you have a high polished wheel.

Let us know if that helps at all
George
Hey, the wheels are the standard 19" that comes with the top grade, I think you guys call it the 's', the car is a japanese import v36 370gt SP grade with the 19" alloys and big brakes.
so fine grade bar it is then, any application tips or can I use it like I would if I was buffing? thanks again
Old 10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by AussieV36
Hey, the wheels are the standard 19" that comes with the top grade, I think you guys call it the 's', the car is a japanese import v36 370gt SP grade with the 19" alloys and big brakes.
so fine grade bar it is then, any application tips or can I use it like I would if I was buffing? thanks again
Nothing special, just make sure you use plenty of clay lube, gently glide a piece of clay back and forth over the wheels. You can listen to hear it pick up contamination, the noise stops or changes as the surface is clean. Usually you can feel it too. Follow up with a coat of sealant to help make future cleaning easier and to prevent stains from settling.

George
Old 11-05-2008, 02:46 AM
tfongg37

About a month ago I clayed and added 2 coats of paste wax to my g,

Can I add a coat of sealant now over the existing wax, and then add another coat of wax???
Old 11-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Xander

Some daytime pix of Dodo Juice Supernatural

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=12
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by tfongg37
About a month ago I clayed and added 2 coats of paste wax to my g,

Can I add a coat of sealant now over the existing wax, and then add another coat of wax???
Ideally, you'd want to strip off any protective layers of wax before you apply a coat of sealant to your paint. If there is remaining wax left on your paint, the durability of your sealant is going to be the same as what protection that coat of wax still has. If you strip the old protection off, then the sealant will bond to the clear coat, not the previous coat of wax, and offer you the 3 - 6 months of underlying protection. Let the coat of sealant cure for 24 hours, then top that with a coat or coats of wax.

Some daytime pix of Dodo Juice Supernatural

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=12
Looking very sharp! Lots of depth and gloss, very crisp reflections. Thanks for sharing Xander!

George
Old 11-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Xander

Question:
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - will it work well on our seats? Cuz our paint and leather suck, I'm really dissapointed with Infiniti's QC
Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question:
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - will it work well on our seats? Cuz our paint and leather suck, I'm really dissapointed with Infiniti's QC
I've always had good success with Leatherique products, but never used it on the G. I prefer Lexol for my G.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
fuego252

New G37 question

Hey George, I recently purchased my G37. The paint looks really good and I want to keep it that way. I went on your site and read all the guides I purchased all the tools you've suggested. The car is moonlight white. Im currently washing the car with meguiar car wash shampoo and then using a meguiars mirror polish and then waxing. Ive been doing this on a weekly basis. Are the products im using okay and am I supposed to do it weekly. I currently purchased FMJ from you and I'm planning to use it every three months. Is that okay? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Xander

Originally Posted by Blackjack
I've always had good success with Leatherique products, but never used it on the G. I prefer Lexol for my G.
I'm using the Zaino stuff rite now and I really like it, however, with the poor condition my seats are in already I'm wondering if it's the product I'm using.

ie crazy bubbling and creasing
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Question:
Xander, good question. Since the Infiniti leather is coated, it's not going to penetrate as deep as an uncoated leather seat. However, being that there are already bubbles and creases, the coating has been opened up in areas and you may be able to benefit from using the Rejuvenator Oil. I typically suggest using the Leatherique process once or twice a year, then maintain it with the Zaino you're using, or a UV protectant or a simple AIO leather care product such as Poorboy's Leather Stuff. For leather protectant, 303 Aerospace Protectant or Optimum Leather Protectant are great options.

Originally Posted by fuego252
Hey George, I recently purchased my G37. The paint looks really good and I want to keep it that way. I went on your site and read all the guides I purchased all the tools you've suggested. The car is moonlight white. Im currently washing the car with meguiar car wash shampoo and then using a meguiars mirror polish and then waxing. Ive been doing this on a weekly basis. Are the products im using okay and am I supposed to do it weekly. I currently purchased FMJ from you and I'm planning to use it every three months. Is that okay? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for the post fuego. There isn't a need to polish your vehicle on a weekly basis. Each time you polish, you're stripping off your protection and starting fresh. What I'd suggest for you is next time you're ready to apply FMJ give it a wash, then polish 1 more time to start fresh, then apply the FMJ. Wait 24 hours or the next time you wash to allow FMJ to completely cure, then wash and top it with a coat of wax. For your weekly washes, simply wash and dry or top it with another coat of wax if desired. You could opt to use a wax enhancer / quick detailer after a wash as an alternative to always waxing. Once 3 months rolls around, then go back to your polish, reapply FMJ and start the process over. When you run out of product, if you'd like any other suggestions to try, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

George
Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok.. so I think I'm finally ready George.. This is going to be my first stab at this. I've done an insane amount of reading, lol.. (i wish I paid this good attention in school) I'm looking to order one of the PC packages you have on your website. I was thinking about Menzerna polishes, Zaino sealant, and looking to finish it with one of your waxes that you might reccomend. I have a BO that I bought in April (SWIRL MONSTER). I've clayed and waxed it by hand once before, but the swirls and just bugging the heck out of me now... I am open to any suggestion that you might have
Old 12-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by XtatiC
Ok.. so I think I'm finally ready George.. This is going to be my first stab at this. I've done an insane amount of reading, lol.. (i wish I paid this good attention in school) I'm looking to order one of the PC packages you have on your website. I was thinking about Menzerna polishes, Zaino sealant, and looking to finish it with one of your waxes that you might reccomend. I have a BO that I bought in April (SWIRL MONSTER). I've clayed and waxed it by hand once before, but the swirls and just bugging the heck out of me now... I am open to any suggestion that you might have
Not speaking for George, but figured I'd give my input. As you've likely read, swirls cannot be removed by a claybar and can only be slightly concealed with a wax or sealant. You need a random orbital buffer like the PC or Flex... I recently used the Flex and am looking to pick one up soon. Soooo much easier. In terms of products, I'd recomment the following:

Medium Cut Polish
Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP)

Light Cut Polish
Menzerna PO85RD Polish

Glaze (Optional) - Acts as a filler for swirls and imperfections that couldn't be removed by polishing
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze (FTG)

Sealant
Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ)

Wax
Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax
OR
Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax
OR
Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 PM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks Blackjack, that helps a ton. I am ordering the porter cable "starter kit" that detailed image offers. I guess my biggest concern has been the polishes and I'm pretty much positive that I'm going with Menzerna. If I'm not mistaken, I want to go with a light cut polish first and then see if I need something more abrasive correct? I also see that by using PO106ff Ceramic clear coat polish, it won't leave any hazing meaning that I won't need to finish off with a light cut polish????? meaning that I can move onto the sealant right after? hope I didn't make you as confused as I've made myself.. lol

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image