Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
smalls'g37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlamp scuffs

Does anyone know if there is a product that can be used to remove some scuffs from the headlamps outer casing. Like a moron i used a scotch brite pad to remove some stick sticky gunk. now i have a little half inch bit of scuffing id like to get rid of. Any thing would help. Thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by smalls'g37
Does anyone know if there is a product that can be used to remove some scuffs from the headlamps outer casing. Like a moron i used a scotch brite pad to remove some stick sticky gunk. now i have a little half inch bit of scuffing id like to get rid of. Any thing would help. Thanks
You are going to need to use an abrasive polish to remove any type of scuffs. If you have a finishing polish for your paint you can give that a shot. If you want to pick something up locally, try Meguiar's PlasticX with some patience and elbow grease. It may require multiple applications to get the results your looking for but it should do the trick. I've used the Menzerna finishing polishes on headlights with good success.

Good luck, keep us posted on what you use and how things turn out.

George
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
jus placed another order with labor day discount....can't wait to try out menzerna products
Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
jus placed another order with labor day discount....can't wait to try out menzerna products
Keep me posted on what you think of them compared to the SSR polishes. Looking forward to hearing from you Nam. Thanks again for your support!

George
Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ If it helps, I can give my thoughts. I like both SSR and Menzerna polishes. Both have excellent cutting abilities and do not leave excessive micro-marring. Both are both easy to remove.

I do think Menzerna has the advantage though as I think it requires less effort to break down and perform its business, thus tends to be a quicker job using the Menzerna products.

Hope that helps some. I now use Menzerna exclusively for my cutting polishes. I have only good stuff to say about Menzerna PO106FF.

Last edited by Blackjack; 09-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Trommsdorff

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Regarding the PO106FF, I can almost guarantee that you used too much product.
I read up on this a little more from your other posts (and other users) - you're right - too much polish and too little "work in". I re-did some sections using less and letting it break down until it's clear, and it was very very easy to remove.

For your next coat of FMJ, you should only need to wash and dry then apply the next coat. I usually only clay my car before a thorough polishing session, which is anywhere between 1 - 3 times a year.
I did this took, and added the High Gloss Acrylic Shield. That stuff is amazing, despite the finish looking good after two coats of FMJ, the HGAS really brought out the color depth.

Thanks again for the good info.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Taktix1

George,
If my car has a wax and a few layers of sealant on it already, if I wanted to add more wax and sealant would I have to remove the older layers? (dawn dishsoap or claying?). FYI, the wax would be a different one (Optimum is on it now, plan on going with P21S Concours)
Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Trommsdorff
I read up on this a little more from your other posts (and other users) - you're right - too much polish and too little "work in". I re-did some sections using less and letting it break down until it's clear, and it was very very easy to remove.

I did this took, and added the High Gloss Acrylic Shield. That stuff is amazing, despite the finish looking good after two coats of FMJ, the HGAS really brought out the color depth.

Thanks again for the good info.
Glad to hear you were able to get some better results next time around. There is quite a learning curve to polishing correctly and getting the best results. Sounds like you're on your way. HGAS on top of FMJ is a great combo, they are formulated to work together. If there's anything else I can give you a hand with, just say the word.

Originally Posted by Taktix1
George,
If my car has a wax and a few layers of sealant on it already, if I wanted to add more wax and sealant would I have to remove the older layers? (dawn dishsoap or claying?). FYI, the wax would be a different one (Optimum is on it now, plan on going with P21S Concours)
If you're going to add more sealant, then yes, you'd want to strip off previous coats of protection and start fresh. Ideally, I'd strip off the protection during the wash phase, then still clay the car for best results. So you could wash with dawn, or wash regularly then give the paint a quick detail with Isopropyl Alcohol and water mix. Clay, then layer your sealant (allow it to cure for 24 hours) then your wax on top. That would give you the best possible results in terms of durability and protection.

In the future, if you know your sealant is still going strong and you just wanted to add another layer of wax, then all you'd really have to do is wash then follow up with another coat of wax.

George
Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Taktix1

If you're going to add more sealant, then yes, you'd want to strip off previous coats of protection and start fresh. Ideally, I'd strip off the protection during the wash phase, then still clay the car for best results. So you could wash with dawn, or wash regularly then give the paint a quick detail with Isopropyl Alcohol and water mix. Clay, then layer your sealant (allow it to cure for 24 hours) then your wax on top. That would give you the best possible results in terms of durability and protection.

In the future, if you know your sealant is still going strong and you just wanted to add another layer of wax, then all you'd really have to do is wash then follow up with another coat of wax.

George
For wax do I have to wait in between coats? (is it even beneficial to add more layers of wax on top of each other?)
Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Taktix1
For wax do I have to wait in between coats? (is it even beneficial to add more layers of wax on top of each other?)
Most quality carnauba waxes benefit from a 2nd coat, with a cure (wait) time of between 12 - 24 hours. Personally, I like to just wait till the next day, give it a quick detail or a re-wash depending on how I stored it or if I drove it, then apply the second coat. You can see increased depth, gloss and your giving your paint another thin layer of protection. Some enthusiasts will apply more than 2 coats, but you reach a point of diminishing returns after a handful of coats. I personally usually apply 2 and reapply every 2 - 4 weeks (when I have time after a wash).

Hope that helps.

George
Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 AM
slyfox

As a new G35Driver member and sponsor, I would like to introduce myself. My name is George Dushensky, owner of Detailed Image. We specialize in high end automotive detailing. Our goal is to help other members raise their standards in automotive car care, while maximizing their detailing objectives.

We started a thread, "Ask a Professional Detailer" on some other forums with great success and wanted to start a thread on G35Driver to ask me any questions you might have on auto detailing. On e46fanatics, our Ask a Pro Detailer thread is still one of the top threads in their detailing section since July '05, with over 1400 posts and 60k thread views. We'd like to build up a great reference tool here on G35Driver, specifically for Infiniti G35's.

I know this is a great forum already, I see a lot of familiar faces on here, and a wealth of information from Picus and other members. I hope to help contribute to the forum and answer as many questions as I can in a detailed and timely manner. I would also like to extend a 10% discount to G35Driver members on any purchase from Detailed Image. To do so, just enter in 10offG35 during checkout to receive your discount.

I look forward to taking part in some great conversation.

George
George,
thanks for the discount! Question - Can you wax your car once a week using DoDo Juice Purple Haze or is that too often?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by slyfox
George,
thanks for the discount! Question - Can you wax your car once a week using DoDo Juice Purple Haze or is that too often?
You certainly can, it won't hurt anything, but it may be a tad overkill to continuously use any wax that often. When I first apply wax and looking to add multiple layers, I'll usually apply a coat for the first 3 weekly washes to get my 3 coat wax base. After that I'll usually cut back to once a month to maintain the look.

Hope that helps.

George
Old 10-03-2008, 01:48 PM
slyfox

You certainly can, it won't hurt anything, but it may be a tad overkill to continuously use any wax that often. When I first apply wax and looking to add multiple layers, I'll usually apply a coat for the first 3 weekly washes to get my 3 coat wax base. After that I'll usually cut back to once a month to maintain the look.

Hope that helps.

George
Cool. That's what I'll do. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
The Jewbag

Ok so I posted this question in a different thread and it was recommended that I come here and ask the question...I got my G37s in Blue Slate Debadged this sunday and after waxing and polishing over and over again you can still see the faint outline of the "INFINITI" logo and the "G37S", besides for the small chips I got which I don't understand how that happened bc it's just adhesive holding the badges on (but I ordered touchup paint; hope it comes out nice). Any suggestions? I tried compound, turtle wax, goo- gone, WD-40, and even lighter fluid, and yet I still see the outline in the sunlight. HELP!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

what is the best recommended clay bar to use on my BO? I'm thinking about purchasing a full kit to detail my car since it still has scratches and swirl marks from the dealership prep... right now to wash the car I use the Meguire's Gold Class car wash, Meguire's quick detailer, Meguire's tech 2.0 wax. I'm also looking for something to keep my interior moist.

Last edited by NIGHTLFEphantom; 10-07-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image