Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Taktix1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
after u apply sealant or wax, u'll notice it looks "cloudy" or "smudgy", that's the "haze".
so how long do i let the haze stay on there before i use some QD and a MF towel to buff it out?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Taktix1
so how long do i let the haze stay on there before i use some QD and a MF towel to buff it out?
i never let mine's haze long...i usually buff mines off after a few mins of hazing
Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos2774
I have a blue slate G37 and I'm looking for a good wax for my car?
As Nam mentioned, P21S waxes look good on blue slate, both the Concours Carnauba Wax and the 100% Carnauba Wax. Blackfire Midnight Sun is a very deep and wet looking wax, can't go wrong with that. One of the best bang for the buck waxes (although a little pricey up front) is the Chemical Guys 50/50 Wax. You get 16oz of product instead of the typical 8oz or less with other waxes, so bang for the buck it's probably one of the best waxes available.

Just got my FMJ in the mail today along with other goodies. So I read Picus' post on detailing and in it he said some sealants need to let "haze" before wiping off. Is FMJ one of those products? What exactly does hazing mean? Do I just wipe a small amount of sealant on an area and let it sit there for a while before buffing it off with some QD?
One of FMJ's best features is the ease of use to apply and remove the product. You want to apply your coats as thin and as even as possible. I usually apply the product to a few panels, then go back and remove. For harder products, I usually apply 1 panel in advance and go back and remove the next, FMJ is super easy to remove, no QD should be necessary.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

George
Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by DetailedImage

One of FMJ's best features is the ease of use to apply and remove the product. You want to apply your coats as thin and as even as possible. I usually apply the product to a few panels, then go back and remove. For harder products, I usually apply 1 panel in advance and go back and remove the next, FMJ is super easy to remove, no QD should be necessary.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

George
George,
thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. When NAM says to buff out the haze, is that when there is pressure applied on my part or do I just try to wipe it off with minimal pressure?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

George,
thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. When NAM says to buff out the haze, is that when there is pressure applied on my part or do I just try to wipe it off with minimal pressure?
You want to use as little pressure as possible to remove the product from the surface. Some pressure is applied during the wipe, but not nearly as much as say if you were polishing by hand. Both the application and removal of a sealant or wax should be done with as little pressure as possible, but some pressure is required. You'll get the hang of it.

George
Old 07-11-2008, 02:47 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You want to use as little pressure as possible to remove the product from the surface. Some pressure is applied during the wipe, but not nearly as much as say if you were polishing by hand. Both the application and removal of a sealant or wax should be done with as little pressure as possible, but some pressure is required. You'll get the hang of it.

George
+1

everything that touches the car, use as minimal pressure as possible...even when washing....just enough pressure to get dirt off...just enough pressure to get the wax or sealant off
Old 07-13-2008, 12:30 PM
JDO

sheepskin mitt

George:

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from your site. Thanks very much.

Question on sheepskin mitts:

1.) Should I wash them before first use?

2.) How do I wash them after using?

Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by JDO
George:

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from your site. Thanks very much.

Question on sheepskin mitts:

1.) Should I wash them before first use?

2.) How do I wash them after using?

Thanks!!
I typically use them right out the box. If anything give them a quick hose down to rid of anything that may have clung to it from the box, etc.

As far as washing them afterwards, I simply use free flowing water from the hose to rinse any contamination from the mitt. To dry I hang them dry with the leather hoop near the cuff. You want to avoid putting them in the washer or dryer, doing so can degrade the mitt quickly, if not ruin it completely.

Thanks again for your support!

George
Old 07-13-2008, 12:57 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I typically use them right out the box. If anything give them a quick hose down to rid of anything that may have clung to it from the box, etc.

As far as washing them afterwards, I simply use free flowing water from the hose to rinse any contamination from the mitt. To dry I hang them dry with the leather hoop near the cuff. You want to avoid putting them in the washer or dryer, doing so can degrade the mitt quickly, if not ruin it completely.

Thanks again for your support!

George
Hi George,
along the same line, how do you recommend I take care of the ww drying towels?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:12 PM
JDO

Thanks George!!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by fkat
Hi George,
along the same line, how do you recommend I take care of the ww drying towels?
Here's a complete page on properly caring for your microfiber towels.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 07-13-2008, 10:12 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey,

I usually use the yellow microfiber towels that come in a big bag from costco, but I have been having alot of little pieces of fiber being left on the windows, they look even worse with the little fibers on them than they do dirty.

Should I be washing my MF towels before using them on the car?

Also do you think I can use the blue paste wax I got from you guys on my windows if I buff it off?? I used to use wax insted of rainX, but I want to see what you think of that?

Tom
Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Regarding microfiber towels, all MF is not created equal. I have recently found this out. I have some from WalMart, Lowe's, and O'Reilly Auto parts. They are all pretty close to the same. However, I recently bought some from DI and some from AutoGeek. The ones that i got from DI are pretty good for most tasks. The AutoGeek MF are on sale right now and I got these. Wow are they amazing. I think DI has some similar ones too but I've never used them yet. These are crazy thick and plush, have no tags to fray your edges when you rip them off, and are edged in microfiber. No shedding of fibers and they are super soft. Much better than the ones I got at local stores.

Yes, you should wash MF before first use. No fabric softener or dryer sheets.

If mine get really dirty, I soak them in a bucket of warm water with a half a cup of laundry detergent and capful of MF detergent over night and machine wash them the next day and they're like new.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
When using wheel sealant (I'm using PBW Wheel Sealant), is it recommended to allow it to cure overnight like a paint sealant before doing a second coat or driving the car and getting the wheels hot?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by TomG37
Hey,

I usually use the yellow microfiber towels that come in a big bag from costco, but I have been having alot of little pieces of fiber being left on the windows, they look even worse with the little fibers on them than they do dirty.

Should I be washing my MF towels before using them on the car?

Also do you think I can use the blue paste wax I got from you guys on my windows if I buff it off?? I used to use wax insted of rainX, but I want to see what you think of that?

Tom
Tom,

I always recommend washing all microfiber products prior to their first use on your vehicle. It will help remove loose fibers and any contamination that may have accumulated during transit or sitting in a store / warehouse / shop.

You can use a sealant or wax on your windows, just make sure you apply it thin and remove it completely so there are no streaks to impair your vision. It should give a similar effect as RainX.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.

George

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image