Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Taktix1
Thanks for the info George. If I'm looking for just the best possible shine/duration and not necessarily "bang for the buck" what product would you recommend?
From my experiences, I've had the best luck with Jet Seal 109 or Menzerna FMJ on lighter colors. Consider topping it with the P21S 100% Carnauba Wax. I'd give that a shot, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Originally Posted by ObsidianGT
Hey George, is there any way to delay shipping multiple orders until a certain date to save on shipping? I'm the type that likes a good deal (who doesn't, right?).

For example, say a wax is on sale on day 1, and then a sealant is on sale day 2, could they be shipped together on day 2? Or is the shipping cost sort of the catch?
Well, one way we offer daily special prices on everything we sell at any time is if you are a part of our Writers Program. With a little work you can have all of your detailing products at exceptionally good prices.

If you have one order pending and you place a second order before the first ships out, we'll merge them for you. We don't allow people to order, ask us to hold the order, wait a week for another sale they want, order, hold that, wait 3 more weeks, order then ask to ship with one shipping charge. Look into the writer application, then you can order whenever you want at the best prices around.

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
In all honesty, it's all trial and error IMO. The reason I say that is because what I find might looks best on IP might be totally different than what you might find looks best. Looks are subjective and everyone has different tastes and sees different things. This is the main reason why I try and use as many different products as possible.
I agree 100% with you Shane. What might look good to me may not look the same to someone else. I can offer my feedback and recommendations to help narrow down some options, but ultimately the end user is the one who has to be satisfied with the product.

Cheers,

George
Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
ObsidianGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Well, one way we offer daily special prices on everything we sell at any time is if you are a part of our Writers Program. With a little work you can have all of your detailing products at exceptionally good prices.

If you have one order pending and you place a second order before the first ships out, we'll merge them for you. We don't allow people to order, ask us to hold the order, wait a week for another sale they want, order, hold that, wait 3 more weeks, order then ask to ship with one shipping charge. Look into the writer application, then you can order whenever you want at the best prices around.
I'm going to have to pay my dues. I need to substantially build up more experience before I feel confident enough to offer articles. But, I will keep the program it in mind. It would definitely be an excellent perk if this weekend hobby takes off. Sound familiar, Shane?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:05 AM
kevinyo

juz made an order from DI
Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Taktix1

Garnett said that Sealants can be applied by hand but would I see better results with a PC?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by ObsidianGT
I'm going to have to pay my dues. I need to substantially build up more experience before I feel confident enough to offer articles. But, I will keep the program it in mind. It would definitely be an excellent perk if this weekend hobby takes off. Sound familiar, Shane?
That's how it started for me, weekend hobby turn career move.

Originally Posted by kevinyo
juz made an order from DI
Thank you for your support

Garnett said that Sealants can be applied by hand but would I see better results with a PC?
Nope, it's a matter of preference. After polishing for hours on end with the buffer, I'm usually happy to do the last couple steps by hand.

Cheers,

George
Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Taktix1

so when I get my FMJ what should I use to apply it? and is there going to be any residue that i need to remove afterwards? if so what do i use? LAST QUESTION...i think....do I need to wash the car before I apply the sealant? I QD'd it yesterday and its been in the garage for 4 days, driven one day only after I put some Optimum Poly Seal on it.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

so when I get my FMJ what should I use to apply it? and is there going to be any residue that i need to remove afterwards? if so what do i use? LAST QUESTION...i think....do I need to wash the car before I apply the sealant? I QD'd it yesterday and its been in the garage for 4 days, driven one day only after I put some Optimum Poly Seal on it.
Personally, I apply FMJ with a foam applicator pad. Wipe it on very thin, then wipe off for a super slick surface. The removal process is VERY easy for FMJ, it's one of it's best features. Use a quality microfiber towel to wipe clean.

Really depends on how dirty the paint is. If you can get away with a QD then go for it to save some time. If it's more than a light dusting, I'd recommend giving it a wash so you don't add any imperfections to the paint.

Keep us posted on how the FMJ turns out.

George
Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Personally, I apply FMJ with a foam applicator pad. Wipe it on very thin, then wipe off for a super slick surface. The removal process is VERY easy for FMJ, it's one of it's best features. Use a quality microfiber towel to wipe clean.

Really depends on how dirty the paint is. If you can get away with a QD then go for it to save some time. If it's more than a light dusting, I'd recommend giving it a wash so you don't add any imperfections to the paint.

Keep us posted on how the FMJ turns out.

George
Nooooo I forgot a Foam applicator pad from DI when I placed my order. I'll have to go back and order it. When applying, you say to wipe it on very thing so is there any force to be applied like with waxing where you feel like you're rubbing the wax into the paint?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Nooooo I forgot a Foam applicator pad from DI when I placed my order. I'll have to go back and order it. When applying, you say to wipe it on very thing so is there any force to be applied like with waxing where you feel like you're rubbing the wax into the paint?
Very little pressure is needed when applying a sealant or wax. Simply glide it over the paint creating as thin of a coat as possible. The harder you push, the larger the chance for adding imperfections in the paint. Waxes should be applied the same way. You can pick up a foam applicator pad locally if that's all you need, save you the wait time and shipping costs.

Let us know how it goes.

George
Old 07-08-2008, 01:49 PM
kaos2774
Registered Member

I have a blue slate G37 and I'm looking for a good wax for my car?
Old 07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos2774
I'd recommend Menzerna products... Check them out at Detailed Image.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos2774
i'd recommend Blackfire Midnight sun carnauba....i've actually used this myself and love it...u can catch my thread here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...95#post2355295

or if u wanna go cheaper, I've heard lots of good stuff about P21S 100%...never used it myself...wouldn't mind giving it a try

or even cheaper is natty's blue paste, i've actually used this myself b4 switching to Blackfire...didn't like the white residue it leaves behind...it also takes a lil more effort to buff off
Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Taktix1

Just got my FMJ in the mail today along with other goodies. So I read Picus' post on detailing and in it he said some sealants need to let "haze" before wiping off. Is FMJ one of those products? What exactly does hazing mean? Do I just wipe a small amount of sealant on an area and let it sit there for a while before buffing it off with some QD?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
wuuuuuuuu

Just made my second order with you George. This time i used the discount code haha. Thanks once again and my car will have a much needed wash once my package comes.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got my FMJ in the mail today along with other goodies. So I read Picus' post on detailing and in it he said some sealants need to let "haze" before wiping off. Is FMJ one of those products? What exactly does hazing mean? Do I just wipe a small amount of sealant on an area and let it sit there for a while before buffing it off with some QD?
after u apply sealant or wax, u'll notice it looks "cloudy" or "smudgy", that's the "haze".

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image