Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by infidsg35
Hey do sealants go bad? I have a bottle thats 2 years old and one that 1..
The typical shelf life of detailing products is about 3 years when stored correctly. This is assuming it wasn't left open, wasn't exposed to large temperature changes, wasn't left in direct sunlight, etc. If anything, you'd experience slightly less durability, so just monitor the car as you wash it to ensure it is still showing characteristics of protection.

George
Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
RedlineSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,

I recently got some Halogen work lights and the swirls from the dealership look terrible. I don't have much experience with swirls, so I don't know how severe they really are. They are nothing like a lot of the pics I've seen on autopia, but to me they look bad. You can't see them unless you have direct sunlight, or halogen. I'll have to take a pic to show you before I actually polish the car. Just in case I ordered some IP and an orange pad for my PC. I have the 106FF and a white pad as well. I am going to start with the 106FF and see what results I get.

I've read that you can use some sort of alcohol mix and that will help clean up your work area to see if you are getting actual results. What is the best way to do this? Thanks again.....I haven't even begun and you've started an addiction!!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by RedlineSi
I've read that you can use some sort of alcohol mix and that will help clean up your work area to see if you are getting actual results. What is the best way to do this? Thanks again.....I haven't even begun and you've started an addiction!!
All you need to do is pick up some Isopropyl Alcohol, some filtered or distilled water and an empty spray bottle. I try to get a 50/50 mixture of water and alcohol. Simply use it like a quick detailer to reveal your true clear coat with no protection, oils or fillers.

Keep us posted on how things turn out, hopefully the PO106FF puts a dent in the imperfections.

George
Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
bfranks

George,

I just purchased your detailing essentials package and am looking to do my first full detail (clay bar, polish, seal, and wax). My main concern is the clear bra on my car. Do I treat it like any other part of the car, or are there certain steps that need to be skipped (polish & seal)?

While I'm at it, I just want to give everyone at DI a big . The information you've shared has been invlauable. And the service has been excellent (placed order on Saturday night and it shipped first thing Monday morning). Now I just hope I make it back home before it shows up
Old 04-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by bfranks
George,

I just purchased your detailing essentials package and am looking to do my first full detail (clay bar, polish, seal, and wax). My main concern is the clear bra on my car. Do I treat it like any other part of the car, or are there certain steps that need to be skipped (polish & seal)?

While I'm at it, I just want to give everyone at DI a big . The information you've shared has been invlauable. And the service has been excellent (placed order on Saturday night and it shipped first thing Monday morning). Now I just hope I make it back home before it shows up
Thanks for the positive feedback bfranks!

For the clear bra, I usually like to tape around the edges of it when you're detailing the painted areas so you don't have any excess product residue outlining the clear bra afterwards. 3M Blue Painters tape works well, and I'd also recommend taping off emblems, trim (especially around the windows) and anything else you don't want to make sure the polish or buffer hits.

After you've completed all the steps on your paint, remove the tape that overlaps the clear bra and treat it with some of the 303 Aerospace Protectant that comes in your All the Detailing Essentials Package. This will help protect the clear bra from UV fading and you won't have to worry about excess product left behind from a sealant or wax.

Keep us posted with how you make out after your first detail and thanks again for the support and praise. Enjoy!

Regards,

George
Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple quick questions:

1) How do you assure that your soap doesn't dry while washing your car with a mitt? What is the proper procedure you recommend to wash/sheet rinse/then dry the car?

2) When using the buffer and a standard polish, what is the most efficient method of doing the car? Should you just do a 20x20 area, then leave the polish on and do another 20x20 area until you have a full hood/fender/etc done, then wipe it off? Do you have to use the buffer to remove the excess or do you use a waffle weave to remove the polish?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
RedlineSi

George,

Just got my Waffle Weave drying towel from you guys and WOW am I impressed. It is light years better then the one I had got from a local auto place. I quickly have added the old one to house hold duty and it will not touch my car. The difference in softness and all around quality is amazingly. Keep up the good work, love your products! I see you guys now have Chem Guys on the site as well.....nice!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by GregUMR
Couple quick questions:

1) How do you assure that your soap doesn't dry while washing your car with a mitt? What is the proper procedure you recommend to wash/sheet rinse/then dry the car?

The best thing you can do is wash your car in smaller sections. I usually will only go 1 or 2 panels before I rinse out my wash mitt (using a 2 bucket wash system) and rinse the suds off and the rest of the car, keeping it from drying. It's a little more work during the washing process, but it's less work in the long run if you have to spend time re-washing, claying or polishing to remove dried on soap. My washing and drying process goes something like this:
  • Setup 2 buckets, 1 with clean water and 1 with water and suds
  • Wet the area (couple of panels) that you plan on working on
  • Dunk you wash mitt into the bucket of suds
  • Gently glide the wash mitt over the panel or two you plan on cleaning
  • Put the wash mitt into the rinse bucket
  • Hose off remaining suds on the car and wet the next area
  • Swipe my wash mitt across the Grit Guard Insert in the rinse bucket
  • Re-dunk it into the suds
  • Repeat until entire car has been washed
  • Remove spray nozzle from hose and sheet dry the vehicle
  • Use a blower (I use my Metro Vac 'n Blo) to blow out seems, mirrors, lug nuts, emblems, etc.
  • Blot dry remaining water with a Waffle Weave Drying Towel
  • Follow up with a quick detailer a plush microfiber towel to remove any remaining water droplets.

2) When using the buffer and a standard polish, what is the most efficient method of doing the car? Should you just do a 20x20 area, then leave the polish on and do another 20x20 area until you have a full hood/fender/etc done, then wipe it off? Do you have to use the buffer to remove the excess or do you use a waffle weave to remove the polish?

First thing I recommend is starting in smaller sections until you start to achieve the results you are looking for. I recommend starting in 12" x 12" areas, then expanding to larger areas once you feel comfortable working the polish. Overlap the area so that you go over the entire 12" x 12" section at least 4 times with the buffer. I usually work up and down, left and right, up and down and left and right again, all while overlapping each pass by 50%. When polishing, there is no reason to let the product sit on the car. Simply wipe off excess polish with a quality microfiber towel and move onto the next section. Work slow, you want to move the buffer, roughly at 1 inch per second, while applying moderate pressure to the head of the buffer. It's a slow process, but this is where the best results come from.

Thanks
George,

Just got my Waffle Weave drying towel from you guys and WOW am I impressed. It is light years better then the one I had got from a local auto place. I quickly have added the old one to house hold duty and it will not touch my car. The difference in softness and all around quality is amazingly. Keep up the good work, love your products! I see you guys now have Chem Guys on the site as well.....nice!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed our Waffle Weave Towel! I feel in love with this towel once we tested it and made the switch to it. I love that it has no tags, silk edging and is super soft and absorbent. The Chemical Guys line up is quite nice, I've been impressed with what I've used so far. Great bang for the buck with their line.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

George
Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thanks again for the info. I've noticed I have some dirt spots caked into lower splash guards of my car right behind the doors. I tried to remove them with washing but it looks like I'll have to buff, that or I guess get some sort of product that can sink into those caked on spots and help me remove them.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 PM
RedlineSi

Greg, if they are water spots, maybe this could help.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...-Remover-P194/
Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by GregUMR
Great thanks again for the info. I've noticed I have some dirt spots caked into lower splash guards of my car right behind the doors. I tried to remove them with washing but it looks like I'll have to buff, that or I guess get some sort of product that can sink into those caked on spots and help me remove them.
If it's caked on dirt, consider using some sort of pre-wash degreaser, something like Chemical Guys Grime Reaper or P21S Total Auto Wash are good options. The next step I'd probably take if there is contamination remaining, is using a clay bar after you try to clean it up as much as possible with the degreaser.

Between those two, you shouldn't have any more surface contamination.

Hope that helps.

George
Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 AM
RedlineSi

George, can you explain "jeweling" to me. I have been reading some things about it on autopia. People were talking about using 106 after their regular polishing with a black or blue pad, and how amazing it makes the finish. You have any insight on this.

Oh, and a lot of people talk about using 4" pads with the PC because the 6.5" pads take too long. I figure you guys sell the 6.5" for a reason. Just wanted to see your opinion on pad size.

I am also going to add some pics I took tonight of the swirls from the dealer. For some reason, if I look straight on with the halogens behind me, I can't see any swirls, but If I look at an angle, I can see them. Let me know what you think. I have both 106FF and a white pad, as well as the an orange pad with IP. Do you think the 106FF will do it? Im going to start with that.

Name:  Swirls012.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  Swirls011.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  42.8 KB
Name:  Swirls010.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  Swirls009.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  64.7 KB
Name:  Swirls008.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  67.9 KB
Name:  Swirls007.jpg
Size:  58.1 KB
Name:  Swirls006.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  70.8 KB
Name:  Swirls005.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  110.4 KB
Name:  Swirls004.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  78.3 KB
Name:  Swirls003-1.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  40.9 KB
Name:  Swirls002.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  39.3 KB
Name:  Swirls001.jpg
Size:  46.2 KB
Name:  Swirls003.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB

Last edited by RedlineSi; 04-13-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

George, can you explain "jeweling" to me. I have been reading some things about it on autopia. People were talking about using 106 after their regular polishing with a black or blue pad, and how amazing it makes the finish. You have any insight on this.

Oh, and a lot of people talk about using 4" pads with the PC because the 6.5" pads take too long. I figure you guys sell the 6.5" for a reason. Just wanted to see your opinion on pad size.

I am also going to add some pics I took tonight of the swirls from the dealer. For some reason, if I look straight on with the halogens behind me, I can't see any swirls, but If I look at an angle, I can see them. Let me know what you think. I have both 106FF and a white pad, as well as the an orange pad with IP. Do you think the 106FF will do it? Im going to start with that.
I'm not 100% sure on the specifics of "jeweling", but in general, the finer you finish your paint the higher the gloss and depth you'll achieve. Blue and black pads are softer and finer than a white polishing pad, so increased depth and gloss is to be expected.

Smaller pads on a PC provide more cutting ability. You would be able to achieve more correction from a 4" pad than a 6.5" pad. The opposite is true on rotary buffers. Larger pads on a rotary provide more cut, where a smaller pad provides much less.

Sometimes I have problems seeing surface swirls with halogen lighting. This is usually a good sign when it comes to correction because they are just on the surface and should be easier to remove than deeper marring halogen lights usually reveal. I'd say PO106FF with a white pad (if not orange) should do the trick. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

George
Old 04-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Taktix1

George,
I just placed another order with you guys, cant get enough of this stuff!! In one of my previous orders I got a grit guard. Is there a specific bucket that this goes in or is there a bucket that you recommend? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM
RedlineSi

Originally Posted by Taktix1
George,
I just placed another order with you guys, cant get enough of this stuff!! In one of my previous orders I got a grit guard. Is there a specific bucket that this goes in or is there a bucket that you recommend? Thanks!
Any 3-5 gallon bucket will work. I got 2 at Wal-Mart.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image