Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by GregUMR
Great, will do. I'll be buying those items in the next few weeks and I'll do the first polish/wax run in april.
Sounds great, keep us posted on how things turn out! Snap some pics if you can. Looking forward to hearing about your results.

Enjoy your weekend!

George
Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Taktix1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,
Im completely new to the whole car detailing business. I have had my 08 G37 coupe for just under a month. I was looking into purchasing one your wash starter kits, specifically the march wash special that includes super slick and suds, ulti mitt, and a waffle weave towel. What is the difference between a sheep skin mitt and an ulti mitt? How many of each do you think I should purchase, one for the top of the car and one for the bottom? I was thinking of getting the march special and adding a sheep skin mitt. Would that be enough? Also, Ive read of the 2 bucket system, would i still need the guard?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Taktix1
George,
Im completely new to the whole car detailing business. I have had my 08 G37 coupe for just under a month. I was looking into purchasing one your wash starter kits, specifically the march wash special that includes super slick and suds, ulti mitt, and a waffle weave towel. What is the difference between a sheep skin mitt and an ulti mitt? How many of each do you think I should purchase, one for the top of the car and one for the bottom? I was thinking of getting the march special and adding a sheep skin mitt. Would that be enough? Also, Ive read of the 2 bucket system, would i still need the guard?
Good questions and thanks for the post. The March Wash Special would be a great start for any detailer. I prefer using the Ulti-Mit on lower panels or for wheels and tires, if you're using a sheepskin on the upper panels. I would advise getting 3 mitts total if you are looking for optimal washing conditions. One for your upper panels (sheepskin), one for lower panels (sheepskin or ulti-mit) and one for wheels and tires (I use ulti-mit).

Even with the two bucket wash system, you still want a Grit Guard Insert in the rinse bucket. Before your dunk your mitt back into the suds gently glide your mitt back and forth over the GG to help release contamination and help keep it on the bottom of your bucket.

This combination of products along with the proper techniques will help you maintain your vehicle properly while minimizing adding imperfections to your paint.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

George @ Detailed Image
Old 03-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Taktix1

Thanks for the reply!!! Placing my order after work. I am planning on getting the march kit, along with 2 sheepskin mitts and a spray and wipe. When would you recommend the ulti mitt scrubber and what is the difference between the ulti mit?

Last edited by Taktix1; 03-14-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Thanks for the reply!!! Placing my order after work. I am planning on getting the march kit, along with 2 sheepskin mitts and a spray and wipe. When would you recommend the ulti mitt scrubber and what is the difference between the ulti mit?
The Ulti-Mit Scrubber is very coarse, compared to the Ulti-Mit which is very soft. It's good for cleaning neglected wheel wells, or anything that is very stubborn. Keep in mind it probably will add marring to the finish if you use it on paint, so you'd want to polish afterwards to remove the marring.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 03-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Taktix1

Thanks George. I placed my order the other day, I got the Wash and dry starter package, poor boys s&w, and a ultra plush 2 sided towel (which I assume is what I should use to wipe off the poor boys?) Can't wait to get started!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Taktix1

Got my order today, pretty quick! Just wanted to ask, I got the spray and wipe and an ultra plush towel, is there a preferred way to use it? put the product on the towel or on the car? As far as I understand never wipe in circles and only in straight lines right?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Got my order today, pretty quick! Just wanted to ask, I got the spray and wipe and an ultra plush towel, is there a preferred way to use it? put the product on the towel or on the car? As far as I understand never wipe in circles and only in straight lines right?
I'll first fold the Ultra Plush Towel into 4th's with the plush side facing up. Apply a light mist of Spray & Wipe directly onto the towel. Gently wipe the towel across your vehicle with minimal pressure, just so that the microfiber can pick up the light dusting. Complete a panel, then flip the towel to a dry side and wipe any remaining product residue to ensure there are no streaks. Continue using this method until the entire vehicle is completed.

Wiping in circles or straight lines is up to you, if you apply too much pressure or are trying to clean TOO dirty of an area, you will most likely add some swirls or light imperfections in the direction you wipe. I use a back and forth motion usually when quick detailing, making sure I overlap the last pass by a little bit.

George
Old 03-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I'll first fold the Ultra Plush Towel into 4th's with the plush side facing up. Apply a light mist of Spray & Wipe directly onto the towel. Gently wipe the towel across your vehicle with minimal pressure, just so that the microfiber can pick up the light dusting. Complete a panel, then flip the towel to a dry side and wipe any remaining product residue to ensure there are no streaks. Continue using this method until the entire vehicle is completed.

Wiping in circles or straight lines is up to you, if you apply too much pressure or are trying to clean TOO dirty of an area, you will most likely add some swirls or light imperfections in the direction you wipe. I use a back and forth motion usually when quick detailing, making sure I overlap the last pass by a little bit.

George
Thanks, good to know!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:20 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which wax is better to use? liquid or the paste? i tried the paste and was lazy to take off the extra wax, much harder than i thought. so the liquid is just apply and wipe off? also, is it a good idea to take off the top coat and apply a different coat on top of the paint?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:19 PM
dmx434343

Is this a good kit for just starters?
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...mate-Kit-P141/

I would like to simply wash my car on my own rather than through those garbage machines but not sure what solvents and what not to purchase as i never cared to much for washing my car.
Im looking to get started in the right direct (will not be detailing my own car yet)

Thanks in advanced George.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
which wax is better to use? liquid or the paste? i tried the paste and was lazy to take off the extra wax, much harder than i thought. so the liquid is just apply and wipe off? also, is it a good idea to take off the top coat and apply a different coat on top of the paint?
I find that paste waxes are more effective than liquid waxes. Carnauba in it's purest form is harder than concrete and you lose some of the potency when you bring it down to a liquid form. Chances are you over applied the paste wax, which is common when people complain about the removal process. You are looking to apply the thinnest possible layer over your vehicle. A good paste wax (when applied correctly) should be just as easy to remove as a spray on wax. The only time it's good to remove your previous coat(s) of protection is if your are trying to start with a fresh base or you're reapplying a sealant and you have a wax on there now. Sealants will not properly bond on top of a wax, but applying a wax on top of a sealant is fine.

Originally Posted by dmx434343
Is this a good kit for just starters?
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...mate-Kit-P141/

I would like to simply wash my car on my own rather than through those garbage machines but not sure what solvents and what not to purchase as i never cared to much for washing my car.
Im looking to get started in the right direct (will not be detailing my own car yet)

Thanks in advanced George.
Our Ultimate Wash Kit is a perfect start for anyone who is looking to properly maintain their vehicle. It includes all of the proper mitts, drying towels, shampoo as well as a paint safe degreaser with the Total Auto Wash for wheel wells, bug splatter, tar, etc. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 03-29-2008, 03:27 PM
RedlineSi

George,

My buddy just got a new headlight when he had body work done, and his older headlight is really hazy and needs to be cleaned up. What do you recommend as far as polishing headlights. What product, and pad for my PC would be best?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
infidsg35

Ok I got a few questions...

1. Ok I understand sanding and polishing I just dont know how abrasive of a polish to use. I have a new black G37 and it came with swirl marks in it. The car is 2 months old. Now Iv used Zaino Z-PC before on my previous car and LOVED the results but could I have gotton better results if I used something more abrasive... I know you want to keep the polish as fine as possible but before I put on my first coat of sealent/wax I want my finish to be PERFECT so I can maintain... I was looking at poorboys swirl remover and they have different levels of polishing action what should I start with? Is Z-PC a good final polish?

2. Im about to order a RO Polisher now I know they have different pads for different cutting/buffing action... I apply all my sealents/waxes by hand so what pads do I need for polishing and maybe a after polish buff?

3. Any recommandations on RO Polishers? I know the PC seems to be the choice but is there anything else I should consider?

4. Is natty paste wax a good choice?

5. Whats the best tech for drying the car. I saw some blot dry, shammys, umm distilled water and a good 100% cotton towel, mr clean car wash...

Thanx in advance!!!

Last edited by infidsg35; 03-30-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by RedlineSi
George,

My buddy just got a new headlight when he had body work done, and his older headlight is really hazy and needs to be cleaned up. What do you recommend as far as polishing headlights. What product, and pad for my PC would be best?

Thanks!
You can use the Menzerna polishes with your PC the same way you would on your paint. Something like Final Polish II / PO106FF on a white pad would be great to finish down with. If you need more bite, Intensive / Super Intensive Polish on an orange pad. Beyond that, you'd be wetsanding the headlight to remove even deeper imperfections, but that may require more polishing steps to remove the wetsanding marks.

Let me know how things turn out for you.

Originally Posted by infidsg35
Ok I got a few questions...

1. Ok I understand sanding and polishing I just dont know how abrasive of a polish to use. I have a new black G37 and it came with swirl marks in it. The car is 2 months old. Now Iv used Zaino Z-PC before on my previous car and LOVED the results but could I have gotton better results if I used something more abrasive... I know you want to keep the polish as fine as possible but before I put on my first coat of sealent/wax I want my finish to be PERFECT so I can maintain... I was looking at poorboys swirl remover and they have different levels of polishing action what should I start with? Is Z-PC a good final polish?

I'd highly recommend looking into the Menzerna line of polishes over the Poorboy's line and Z-PC. Z-PC is pretty mild and won't finish down as fine as the Menzerna polishes will. For a finishing polish, it doesn't get much better than the PO106FF polish. This finishes finer than any other polish I've tested. If you need more bite than the PO106FF, look into either Super Intensive Polish (SIP) or Intensive Polish. The big difference between the two is that the SIP has longer working time, will dust less and finishes down finer. Finishing down finer isn't as big of a benefit if you follow up with the PO106FF.

2. Im about to order a RO Polisher now I know they have different pads for different cutting/buffing action... I apply all my sealents/waxes by hand so what pads do I need for polishing and maybe a after polish buff?

For polishing, the essential pads are a polishing pad for your finishing polish (PO106FF) and light cutting pad for a medium cutting polish, like SIP or IP.

3. Any recommandations on RO Polishers? I know the PC seems to be the choice but is there anything else I should consider?

PC is a great choice, proven and reliable. If you're looking to step up from the PC, look into the Flex XC3401VRG. The downsides of the Flex are the price, and the fact that it's backordered from Flex North America. It has significantly more power and can correct twice as many imperfections in half the time. It is a dual action machine that random orbits but also has a forced rotation. This makes it safe like a random orbital, but has the cutting ability similar to a rotary. If you're only correcting light imperfections and you plan on maintaining your vehicle properly on a regular basis, the PC may be all you need.

4. Is natty paste wax a good choice? Natty's Blue paste wax is my favorite wax to use for under $20. Lots of depth and gloss and a nice wet look to it. Pretty durable as well.

5. Whats the best tech for drying the car. I saw some blot dry, shammys, umm distilled water and a good 100% cotton towel, mr clean car wash... If you are utilizing the sheeting method prior to drying your car, there shouldn't be much water left to dry up. To dry the remaining bits of water, I recommend blot drying with a quality waffle weave drying towel. If you really want to play it safe with preventing water spots, a CRSpotless Water De-ionizer is a great investment. This essentially strips out any minerals in your water so that if the water dries, it does not leave behind any water spots.

Thanx in advance!!!
Good questions, let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George @ Detailed Image

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image