Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 AM
GoofyG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,
I've read that they should be washed in cold water, and dried on a low setting, so as not to melt the fibers.
I ran a load through the washer (cool, delicate) but when I was out my wife dried them normally (cotton high I think).
I've been freaked out all night, but then I read at Detail U that hot drying maybe OK.

Will they scratch my car? or if ruined do they just not absorb water?
please, set me strait.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:44 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goofy you got to train the wife. Its not easy as they think they are just Towels, but stress to her.

As far as my experience, I have used high a few times by accident and they are fine. Just fluff em nicely before using, In my experience in the past.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:48 PM
GoofyG

Originally Posted by solopresident
Goofy you got to train the wife. Its not easy as they think they are just Towels, but stress to her.

As far as my experience, I have used high a few times by accident and they are fine. Just fluff em nicely before using, In my experience in the past.
Cool!!

I think she knows now!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
You should be fine. If you were to say iron your towels, then I would be worried, but a dry on high should be ok. If you are worried about it damaging the paint, the best thing you can do is rub it against a blank CD-R and inspect it under good lighting. If it scratches the CD using similar pressure to remove product, chances are it can scratch your clear coat.

I'm not sure if this was what you read on DU, but here's a great read on caring for microfiber towels.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George
Old 09-30-2007, 01:45 PM
GoofyG

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You should be fine. If you were to say iron your towels, then I would be worried, but a dry on high should be ok. If you are worried about it damaging the paint, the best thing you can do is rub it against a blank CD-R and inspect it under good lighting. If it scratches the CD using similar pressure to remove product, chances are it can scratch your clear coat.

I'm not sure if this was what you read on DU, but here's a great read on caring for microfiber towels.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George

Thanks George, you're a life saver.

Used the CD test- all the quality/poorly wash towels were fine. I grabbed some of the small pack of Vroom towels at target to use in a pinch- those scratched!!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:58 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am looking at buying a complete package from Ziano. Which one do yourecomend for a newbie? I am getting a new OB/black g37 in November and am preparing for it. I want to do all the detaling myself but need to know where to get started. I have read the rest of this thread on the process but now i need to know th eproducts. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by shumby
I am looking at buying a complete package from Ziano. Which one do yourecomend for a newbie? I am getting a new OB/black g37 in November and am preparing for it. I want to do all the detaling myself but need to know where to get started. I have read the rest of this thread on the process but now i need to know th eproducts. Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't consider myself a "Zaino expert" by any means, but if you are sold on their products these seem to be their better products:

Z-7 Shampoo
Z-18 Clay Bar
Z-6 Quick Detailer
Z-5 Sealant w/ fillers
Z-8 Sealant enhancer
Z-9 / Z-10 Leather products

Other things you want to consider getting:
That package would certainly be a great start. You can always go for more or less products. The best advice I can give you is to learn as much as you can about the detailing process and choose the best products that fit your needs.

If you have any questions on anything presented above, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Last edited by Detailed Image; 10-01-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 PM
cyberjock4hire

Well, I just got my G37s and it is black on black. I know that the exterior would be high maintenance as for the look was willing to accept that. I guess you can consider another customer of autogeek one of yours. Anyway, have you discussed the problem of water spots.
I have read some articles on the web about using stuff like CLR and other harsh cleansers on the paint. My thoughts are, if it will make my skin peel, I probably should not wash my car with it.
What can I do to minimize them, and what can I do deal with those that are there?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:10 AM
chocoholic

Originally Posted by cyberjock4hire
What can I do to minimize them, and what can I do deal with those that are there?
+1 I've got some water spots on the top of my spoiler that I wasn't able to remove when I detailed my car. They were there when I bought the car. Suggestions?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Well, I just got my G37s and it is black on black. I know that the exterior would be high maintenance as for the look was willing to accept that. I guess you can consider another customer of autogeek one of yours. Anyway, have you discussed the problem of water spots.
I have read some articles on the web about using stuff like CLR and other harsh cleansers on the paint. My thoughts are, if it will make my skin peel, I probably should not wash my car with it.
This topic was recently discussed on another forum I participate on and it mentions CLR. Here's a quote from Kevin Hamill of GTA in Detail one of the best detailers I know...

Originally Posted by picus
Wait, I said to use CLR on paint? I really don't recall that. Hrm. I would use it as a last resort and only when heavily diluted, it contains sulfamic acid. Here is how I deal with water spots in this order.

1) Try alcohol and water or vinegar, spray and wipe. if nothing happens...
2) Try a chemical cleaner, like klasse all in one, werkstatt prime, zaio, etc. This almost always does the job, especially via machine. If not...
3) Use an abrasive polish, which one is up to you.
I follow the same steps as far as trying the least aggressive method first and working to more aggressive solutions. Keep in mind after any of these steps re-apply your protective layer(s).

To help prevent water spots, always keep a layer of carnauba wax as your last coat. Not only does natural carnauba waxes yield more depth and gloss than synthetic sealants, but it's often argued that waxes will provide better protection against bird dropping etchings and water spotting.

The Natty's waxes perform well on black vehicles, blue was designed specifically for it. Pinnacle Souveran looks best on black, but durability is closer to 2 - 4 weeks compared to 4 - 6 weeks from Natty's.

Hope this helps.

George
Old 10-20-2007, 08:57 PM
NemesisG37

When you first purchase a car and it is still brand new, does the dealership apply any type of wax/protection, or must i get the car detail myself?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 PM
cyberjock4hire

I did not mean to imply that you had mentioned using CLR, It was another resource. I did find your reply very helpfull and as soon as I decide on what products I will use, you will have a new order to fill. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by NemesisG37
When you first purchase a car and it is still brand new, does the dealership apply any type of wax/protection, or must i get the car detail myself?
If a dealership preps your vehicle, chances are they put on some sort of protection. Usually it is an all in one product or a generic sealant or wax. Either way, you are much better off investing some time and effort into properly prepping the vehicle yourself.

I did not mean to imply that you had mentioned using CLR, It was another resource. I did find your reply very helpfull and as soon as I decide on what products I will use, you will have a new order to fill. Thanks.
Oh, that wasn't me that I quoted about the CLR. The reply was virtually everything I would have said so I just copied it over here. Let me know if you need a hand with anything. I look forward to filling your order

George
Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just finished a long process of detailing

now i'm sore

washed
clay
poorboy's SSR2/2.5(like 2.5 better) with PC
poorboy's professional poilsh with PC
poorboy's EX-P sealant
2 layers of natty's blue paste wax

looks decent..still have some light scratches that seem like they wont come off with the PC...was able to get a long/deep scratch out tho
Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am getting my Black G37 soon and was woundering what your thoughts are on using a california duster on the car that only has say light dust from sitting in the carage or like pollon in the spring time? Too risky for scratches?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image