Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 AM
malukalu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Infinite1
Congrats on getting the your shipment! I know the same excitement you're going through. I just used my PC for the first time last weekend (Pics to come George!)

On to your question....Orange pads are used typically first to remove possible deep intermediate type swirls as they have more "cutting" abilities. The white pads are used more for light swirl removal and final polishing (i.e. #1 on your list). The next is the black or grey pad which is used to apply your sealant or glaze. And of course you can apply the Natty's by hand. I used the Natty's blue myself and I find that doing it by hand to apply a thin layer is better than with the PC.

Also, you can save one of those white pads for later use. You don't have to switch to a brand new one for the next panel. A tip I learned is to mist your pads with water so they're not dry when they come in contact with your paint and pick up a nail brush(go to the travel sized items section in wal-mart they're about 50 cents) to clean out the caked up residue before moving to the next panel.

Well I hope that answered your question a little. George please correct me if I missed anything. Thanks!

Ryan
Thanks for the info... looks like i need more pads.

So lets see if i got this right.
1) wash , clay etc
2) intensive polish with orange pad
3) final polish with white pad
4) glaze with black pad
5) sealant with black ( need one more black pad here)
6) wax with pads ( what type??)
7) detail spray w/ microfiber towls
Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Infinite1

Prem,

To apply your wax since it's a very small jar, pick up a small foam pad so you can do it by hand. I couldn't find it on George's site hopefully he'll chime in soon and let you know if he has them. Hope this helped! Let us know how you make out.

Ryan
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM
malukalu

Cool i have a bunch of microfiber foam pads/applicators show that should be good. Where can i get another black pad? If i want to use the glaze and the sealant then i need two black pads right?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Infinite1

Oh one thing...Mist your foam pad with water before you try to apply since it's kinda hard...

Yeah I wouldn't use the same pad for Glaze/Sealant...You can get a Blue pad which is the same as a black/gray one that way it would be easier to determine which you used for sealant and which for glaze.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
malukalu

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Oh one thing...Mist your foam pad with water before you try to apply since it's kinda hard...

Yeah I wouldn't use the same pad for Glaze/Sealant...You can get a Blue pad which is the same as a black/gray one that way it would be easier to determine which you used for sealant and which for glaze.
Can i pick one up at a local pepboys/autozone type place ?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Infinite1

Unfortunately, when it comes to PC pads you'll have to order them. But i'm sure since you're in Cali they may have some specialty shops that sell Lake country pads for the PC. Maybe try Autobacs or something
Old 08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by malukalu
Thanks for the info... looks like i need more pads.

So lets see if i got this right.
1) wash , clay etc
2) intensive polish with orange pad
3) final polish with white pad
4) glaze with black pad
5) sealant with black ( need one more black pad here)
6) wax with pads ( what type??)
7) detail spray w/ microfiber towls
malukalu - Ryan offered some great advice. You have everything on point with what you laid out above. If you are going to order a new pad for the sealant, I'd suggest the blue pad, as Ryan mentioned, not only because it is easier to tell them apart, but because it is slightly softer as well and you do not need any bite to your pads when applying a sealant.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

For the wax, a simple foam applicator pad will do.

Ryan - You were right on point with all of your advice, thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing about your results of your detail.

George
Old 08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Infinite1

Thanks for the kind words George! I learned all that from you and following this thread.

As far as the detail goes it went well other than I didn't finish the A-pillars, side mirrors(which i may do by hand)and the roof. I figure after spending 9 hrs in 105 degree weather with 100% humidity I had about enough...Hahaha...I planned on finishing it this weekend but now a big storm hit us here in the gulf and I find my car outside just drenched with water (you can imagine my frustration) But it's ok...I can just wash and apply a little bit more wax to the parts finished and PC the rest the stuff I didn't. I'll get better pics too..

Ryan
Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 PM
malukalu

looks like i need to wait a while longer until i get that last pad
Old 08-28-2007, 12:50 PM
G_Nice

New car care

Hi George,

Welcome on board and thanks for starting such a great thread. I tried to look through the thread to see if someone has already asked this questions, but after 12 pages, I gave up.

First of all I'm a neophyte when it comes to car care. I'm picking up a new G37 BO in a week or so and want to new if there is any steps I should be taking on arrival to ensure the longevity of my car's exterior?

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Nice
Hi George,

Welcome on board and thanks for starting such a great thread. I tried to look through the thread to see if someone has already asked this questions, but after 12 pages, I gave up.

First of all I'm a neophyte when it comes to car care. I'm picking up a new G37 BO in a week or so and want to new if there is any steps I should be taking on arrival to ensure the longevity of my car's exterior?

Thanks,
This thread was carried over from G35Driver and I am not sure if George has visited this forum yet. Having said that, I'll try and answer your question from my own experience.

I owned a BO Sedan for over 3 years so I know how much extra care is need to keep the paint surface looking great at all times. After you get your BO G37 next week, the FIRST thing I would do (assuming it's already clean) is to claybar it. Claybar will remove all surface contamination from the paint. You might not think there would be much surface contamination, however brand new cars typically have lots of rail dust attached to the paint surface. George has claybar kits available here.

After you've claybarred your G37, the next thing I would do is apply a good quality sealant. Sealants will give you up to 3-6 months worth of paint protection and they are much more durable than a carnuba wax. A carnuba wax only protects your paint for 2-8 weeks. Of course how long a sealant or wax lasts will depend on your washing habits. Anyways, George has different sealants available here.

An optional step after applying the sealant is a carnuba wax. Applying a carnuba wax over top of a sealant will give your paint added depth and gloss. Wait at least 24 hours after applying the sealant to let it cure before applying the carnuba. Also, if you are going apply both a sealant and a carnuba, make sure you apply the sealant first. That is VERY important as a sealant won't bond properly to a carnuba. My personal preference for a carnuba wax is Nattys Blue Paste wax, however George has lots of different carnubas here.

I would also highly highly recommend getting yourself some good quality microfiber towels for applying your sealants and waxes. A good quality waffleweave towel is also recommend for drying your G. Again, George has all of this stuff available on his website as well.

After awhile, if you really want to get serious about properly caring for your G37, you'll wanna pick up a Porter Cable, which is a random orbital polisher. Because of Infiniti's soft paint, you'll most definitely get swirl marks in your paint after time. A Porter Cable will allow you to get rid of those ugly swirl marks and bring your paint's finish back to showroom condition.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
G_Nice

Hi Garnet_Canuck,

I appreciate the quick response. Looks like I'll be shopping this week. My need to book a day or two off as well. I noticed your from New Brunswick, I was curious if there is any extra protection you take to deal with our Canadian winters?

I will be parking the car for the winter, but I'm sure I'll get tempted to take it out very so often.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by G_Nice
Hi Garnet_Canuck,

I appreciate the quick response. Looks like I'll be shopping this week. My need to book a day or two off as well. I noticed your from New Brunswick, I was curious if there is any extra protection you take to deal with our Canadian winters?

I will be parking the car for the winter, but I'm sure I'll get tempted to take it out very so often.
Hey, no problem at all. Outside of regular detailing, there really isn't much extra protection I put on my G. I use QEW (Quick & Easy Wash) during the winter months as it is a rinseless car wash. This allows me to keep the salt off of my car at all times. I have a nice big garage however it is not heated so I am not able to apply any sealants during the winter. I usually take my vehicle to my Parent's place during the winter since they have a heated garage.

Will your G37 come equipped with the all season tires or the summer performance tires? If you are getting the G37S or the Journey with the sport package, I would definitely leave your G in the garage during the winter months. The summer tires definitely aren't made for cold temps and won't have much traction even on dry roads.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 PM
ttrank
TIMMAHH!!

I have been reading this thread for two hours and there are just too many options to pick from so I need some help please.

My car is an 04' Black Sedan
I purchased it with 32k miles 2 years ago and it was not taken care of too well before I got it but has been very babied since then. I wash it weekly and try to wax every 6-8 weeks. I live in Phoenix (hot) and it sits outside every day and garaged at night.

I need everything from wheels to windows…

Here are my thoughts so far, please comment as needed.

- I will be buying a PC kit from you.

- The paint is in good shape but I still think a medium cut may be necessary to have a good fresh start. What should I get to make it look great as my daily driver without going too overboard on cost? I see sometimes you say just go with the PO106ff and other times to polish in a 2-step. I may be able to get away with the PO106ff but is there any way to tell for sure?

- Do you still recommend the EX-P and Natty Blue for a situation like mine or is there something I would benefit more from?

- I have un-clear coated polished wheels. Is the Finish Restorer, Two Sided Polishing Towel, and Wheel Sealant still the best combo? These are very expensive wheels and I would like to take every precaution possible with them.

- I seems like the 303 Aerospace, Invisible Glass and Leatheique is the best interior combo for me.

- I know I need the large wash kit with towels, grit guard, PB bug remover and misc accessories.

I guess my biggest question is on the polish. I want to be sure before placing an order of this size.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tim
Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Tim, whether you should go with a two step process or not will depend on how bad your paint is. In most cases the 0106FF will be just fine. That's definitely my favorite polish to use now. I used to use Poorboys SSR products, which are still great, however the 0106FF is definitely better.

If your paint is in really bad shape, like this G that I detailed, a 2nd step may be required. For that G, I used Menzerna's PG and then followed up with SSR1.

Since your Sedan is BO, I would definitely recommend a sealant like EX-P, Zaino Z2, or Menzerna's FMJ. I haven't personally used FMJ yet, but it comes highly recommended by George. 24 hours after applying your sealant of choice, I would apply a coat of Natty's Blue, since it is formulated for darker colors.

At the end of the day, if you were to choose only one polish, the 0106FF would be my choice hands down.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image