Canada Serving Canada.

Good dealers in the GTA

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM
mhubel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good dealers in the GTA

This is my first post here, so please be gentle. I would like to have a dealer I can trust, and I'm looking for recommendations.

We recently bought our G37X when the lease came up from Willowdale Infiniti. This was our 3rd G from this dealer, so we had some history. Since the dealer literally split their building in half to separate Nissan and Infiniti, we found the pressure at this dealer to be tiresome at best.

A typical service appointment at check-in:

Adviser: It's time to do your alignment (this wasn't mentioned when the appointment was made).
Me: The alignment is fine. It doesn't pull and the tires show no abnormal wear.
Adviser: Well, we recommend it to everybody.
Me: I'm sure you do.

After buyout, I decided to take my G to Mr. Lube, so I could have a look while they worked. I watched the tech remove the air filters, and he pointed out that one of them had a hole in it, and the rubber gasket was badly cracked. The hole was as big as a middle finger. As I had watched the removal, this part was damaged when the car went in for service.

As the car had only been serviced at Willowdale Infiniti, there is noone else involved. I have 3 possible scenarios:

1. They knowingly installed a defective part.
2. The damaged part during installation and didn't know it.
3. They intentionally damaged the part.

I kept the old air filter, and I plan to call Infiniti. I could post a picture.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend another dealer? What would be your basis for your recommendation?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Sunny's G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mhubel
This is my first post here, so please be gentle. I would like to have a dealer I can trust, and I'm looking for recommendations.

We recently bought our G37X when the lease came up from Willowdale Infiniti. This was our 3rd G from this dealer, so we had some history. Since the dealer literally split their building in half to separate Nissan and Infiniti, we found the pressure at this dealer to be tiresome at best.

A typical service appointment at check-in:

Adviser: It's time to do your alignment (this wasn't mentioned when the appointment was made).
Me: The alignment is fine. It doesn't pull and the tires show no abnormal wear.
Adviser: Well, we recommend it to everybody.
Me: I'm sure you do.

After buyout, I decided to take my G to Mr. Lube, so I could have a look while they worked. I watched the tech remove the air filters, and he pointed out that one of them had a hole in it, and the rubber gasket was badly cracked. The hole was as big as a middle finger. As I had watched the removal, this part was damaged when the car went in for service.

As the car had only been serviced at Willowdale Infiniti, there is noone else involved. I have 3 possible scenarios:

1. They knowingly installed a defective part.
2. The damaged part during installation and didn't know it.
3. They intentionally damaged the part.

I kept the old air filter, and I plan to call Infiniti. I could post a picture.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend another dealer? What would be your basis for your recommendation?

Thanks
I would highly recommend (like I always do to others), Alta Infiniti in Woodbridge. Great service team to deal with. I usually deal with Rob there and he is very knowledgable when it comes to our cars.

A little story.. Both my wipers are out and I asked them to change it in October 2013 when i was there for my oil change. Rob knows I store my car for winters and recommended I wait until next summer to have them replaced as the cold will just wreck them again. As always, I was amazed by their honesty about stuff.

His manager, Sam, is also a very chilled out guy to deal with.

The dealers I would avoid though is 401-Dixie Infiniti and Woodchester. Their service is just horrible. Back in 2011 I was getting a whine from my transmission and both these dealerships did nothing for it saying it's "normal". Went to Alta, left the car there at 8 AM, got a call at 10 AM that I will be getting a new transmission and they are booking me up with a loaner Infiniti for the meantime. Apparently there was something wrong within the synchro and it could not be fixed. I got the car back 2 days before they said it would be fixed and it has been driving like a charm since then.

I trust Alta a lot. Obviously as with any other dealership you have to be diligent before you sign off on paperwork but once you develop a rapport, dealerships like Alta really take care of you.

On top of it ... I do not know anyone personally there and neither did I purchase my car from them. Although, if I go for an Infiniti again, it WILL be from Alta.

In regards to your question for the air filter, I can't say much but they should have done a courtesy check for any such damages during an oil change. The mere fact that they didn't catch this issue (whatever the cause might be), shows how negligent they are towards Infiniti customers.

On a side note .. Heck I wish Infiniti had some severe dealership ratings like the BMW dealerships cause you can literally scare BMW dealers that you may report this to BMW corp. Been there, done that for my 335i and believe me when I say, they would do anything for customer satisfaction lol. Although YMMV...

Another side note ... I wouldn't use anyone other than Infiniti dealerships for an oil change and here's why, Infiniti charges $45 for it and outside guys charge the same. So there's absolutely no point going elsewhere. Although I do understand that your reasons might have been different in this case.

Good luck !!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM
mhubel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I believe Alta is also in Richmond Hill, but the recommendation of Alta in Woodbridge is appreciated.

I was regularly sent customer satisfaction surveys, and I complained on these. It appears that they are for dealer use only. They asked me to call them, but there was no initiative on Willowdale's part to reach out to me.

I agree with the cost of the oil change at the dealer, but the up-sell of additional maintenance at the time of drop off is maddening. These were never mentioned at the time of booking, even when I asked, and either they know my car or they don't. The up-sell was at least $300 or more.

I don't have time to check everything under the hood following a service. So I judge service based on small things, such as replacing a missed valve cap after they supposedly check tire pressure. Small things done poorly do not mean that the big things are right or wrong, but it's an indication of care. Finding a damaged air cleaner element was the last straw.

Willowdale Infiniti does not seem to care. I'm not the only customer they've lost either.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 AM
SkylineG

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would say Alta. Had a grinding 5th gear, brought it in Monday morning and had my transmission replaced and driving again Wednesday.

Woodchester is bad, tried to get me to replace my brakes because of some chatter and quoted me $2k. Nothing wrong with my brakes.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Danny Boy

Sorry to hear your poor feedback on Willowdale. If you do a search there are complains on all dealers including Alta.

I have been using Willowdale for my FX and G37 for years and never bothered by their sales tactics. Matter of fact it is nice for them to remind you of any required maintenance service. If you don’t want it just say no.

I can understand you are upset about your air filter. I suspect it is a matter of defective parts and doubt very much any dealer would do that to you intentionally.

On a side note, I do find the dealer service expensive. I am using Oil Changer for $35 instead of $65 at Willowdale.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Danny Boy

G37 air filters are expensive at the dealers and they are not available at the WalMart, Can Tires…. The Parts Source sells them at $19 plus tax.

I used to buy them from the States for $12/each. I have since located this place in Ottawa. Two filters including shipping (free) and HST for $25 in 4 days. At this price you can afford to change them every year.

Canadian Discount Auto Parts Store - New Auto Parts at Low Prices
Old 04-23-2014, 04:16 PM
SkylineG

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Alta also replaced my tranny under warranty. I'm sure it would be difficult for other dealers to the same, but I wonder if it is because they know I bought the car from them.