Canada Serving Canada.

This is what a service tech does after an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Ouch sad to see this happen to your ride. D post when manager gets back to you.
Which dashcam is that btw? Seems well hidden as well if the tech didn't notice it.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 AM
KennyG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
Ouch sad to see this happen to your ride. D post when manager gets back to you.
Which dashcam is that btw? Seems well hidden as well if the tech didn't notice it.
The manager will get back to me on Monday.

I didn't really hide the camera, it just sit behind my rear view mirror and it says "starting recording" when it starts. I guess the tech just didnt notice it lol...

My dashcam is a Blackvue DR400G, however I would suggest Itronic 100HD that I bought my girlfriend, a lot cheaper with the same feature and image quality. The blackvue has heat problem in the summer when parking mode is used
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
The "season 2" blackvue apparently addressed the overheating issue. We'll see when it arrives here
Old 12-02-2012, 03:20 AM
KennyG37S

Originally Posted by G37Sam
The "season 2" blackvue apparently addressed the overheating issue. We'll see when it arrives here
lots places say it just lowered the bitrate comparing to the season 1, so thats why it may generate less heat, but it will have crappier video quality.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I could hear the tires let loose a few times. Especially on the home stretch toward the dealership.
I would ask why the heck they took it out, period.
I get free oil changes at Guelph Infiniti and I know for certain that the car goes in the bay, oil change is performed and the car comes out to the lot. That's all.
There is no need for anyone (but the owner) to take it for a rip after an oil change.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
ondatrack

Im also surprised at Alta,always heard good things about them.I think you deserve a very good explanation on why someone is taking your car out after an oil change.You can hear them changing gears trying to get the tires to chirp.I get my sevice done at Midway Nissan and after its done they drive it up front and give me the keys.Stick to your guns dont take this lightly,they need to make this up to you somehow.I would even go as far as saying the person driving your car should be fired,there is no way this should happen with a customers car.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
It is NOT ok for a tech to drive your car after a simple oil change. Period. There is no reason for it. After some other types of work maybe, but after an oil change? No way. This wasn't as bad as some I have seen but it was bad enough that there should be some sort of compensation and the tech fired.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Loki123
Registered Member

Wow - gotta love those dash cams and the power of the internet. I think I'd be most upset about the price we pay for rubber and the blatand disregard by the tech by burning through it. Not exactly a "Ferris Bueller" joyride but still shouldn't have happened. Curious to hear how the dealership management addresses this issue and how long it takes to hear back from them...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Does not really seem that bad to me. My grandma drives harder than that. I thought I was going to see some drifting while smoking crack and banging a hooker inside your car.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kidcane
Does not really seem that bad to me. My grandma drives harder than that. I thought I was going to see some drifting while smoking crack and banging a hooker inside your car.
I don't think it's 'that bad' but it's bad enough and that's not really the point.
If someone took your nice car, for no valid reason, without your permission and you later found out exactly what they did - tell me you wouldn't be a bit angry.

PS - Please provide proof of said Grandma driving harder than that
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Aren't we overreacting a little over this. Did the tech take an unneeded test drive? Yes, but the tire spin was a result of the wet roads, some excessive speeding on a semi deserted road. I say reprimand the tech, not fire him over something like this. 3 free ester oil changes paid for by the tech and call it even. There's no real damage to the car, just bad judgement on the techs part, no need to ruin his carreer or holidays over.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Im not going to lie Ive done way worse when I worked at a dealer...
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I don't think it's 'that bad' but it's bad enough and that's not really the point.
If someone took your nice car, for no valid reason, without your permission and you later found out exactly what they did - tell me you wouldn't be a bit angry.

PS - Please provide proof of said Grandma driving harder than that
I get it based on principle but I am more of a "no harm no foul" person. I would confront him and call it a day. I did way worse when I was a valet many many years ago so I expect it when I give my keys away. Hence I rarely give my keys away.

Here is a video from when I had my bimmer

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BumH_txuHEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by godzilla619
Aren't we overreacting a little over this. Did the tech take an unneeded test drive? Yes, but the tire spin was a result of the wet roads, some excessive speeding on a semi deserted road. I say reprimand the tech, not fire him over something like this. 3 free ester oil changes paid for by the tech and call it even. There's no real damage to the car, just bad judgement on the techs part, no need to ruin his carreer or holidays over.
Roads are dry, just like the parking lot.
I agree - no firing is necessary but strong reprimand and a big apology are needed here.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Loki123
Registered Member

I can understand a test drive by a tech after an important repairs (struts, shocks, steering, funny noises) - but a test drive after a simple oil change seems odd... what can possibly malfunction by draining and refilling oil? Akin to test driving it after adding air to the tires...

Seems like a waste of gas and rubber... and I'm sure the tech even had the audacity to move your preferred seat location and mirror...

Quick Reply: This is what a service tech does after an oil change