Canada Serving Canada.

GTA VIDEO: The reason why you need a dash camera (scam foiled)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
Damn I want a camera now too but want it to be hidden.
That's another thing I like about using my phone as a black box, nobody but me knows it's recording video, so my "camera" is technically hidden. The program runs in the background, I can still do everything else while it's recording. Investing in a high end android phone has lot's of benefits.
The full app is only two dollars, a bargain indeed.
I wonder if those expensive dash cams can be programmed to call an emergency number when a crash is detected. Probably not unless they have an integrated cell phone and accelerometer... I doubt they can sync the location / address either without a built in GPS. Autoguard does all of this and more, for two measly dollars.
I'd love to have a 12v automotive type DVR set-up with 4 hidden cams for thieves and vandals but I have a garage, so it's not needed that much...
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Ontario G37S
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
That's another thing I like about using my phone as a black box, nobody but me knows it's recording video, so my "camera" is technically hidden. The program runs in the background, I can still do everything else while it's recording. Investing in a high end android phone has lot's of benefits.
I wonder if those expensive dash cams can be programmed to call an emergency number when a crash is detected. Probably not unless they have an integrated cell phone and accelerometer... I doubt they can sync the location / address either without a built in GPS. Autoguard does all of this and more, for two measly dollars.
I'd love to have a 12v automotive type DVR set-up with 4 hidden cams for thieves and vandals but I have a garage, so it's not needed that much...
I just checked out the app on my galaxy sII and it looks cool and has all the functions i need. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I have my Nexus but id much rather have a real camera that is stand alone.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Alan318

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone own a Blackvue DR400G-HD??? Does this cam need to be plugged into your car 24/7 for it to function?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 PM
KennyG37S

Cell phone dashcam is good, only thing missing is the wide angle camera.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by eljoker
I have my Nexus but id much rather have a real camera that is stand alone.
Someday I'd like to have a stand alone set up too. I will wait though, as there are not very many choices right now and there are some dissatisfied people that have them already (judging by the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere). Another benefit, I can easily transfer it to any other vehicle I happen to be driving for the day, (rentals, loaners, GF's car etc). The thought of buying multiple systems for multiple cars just adds to this restraint for me. That Nexus is a good phone, you could just give it a try in the meantime if you have a the car dock for it already, then, when you need to drive a loaner etc. for the day, you'll be set. I got rear ended in a loaner once and I was sooo happy, (that it wasn't mine!)

Originally Posted by KennyG37S
Cell phone dashcam is good, only thing missing is the wide angle camera.
Good / small point but even a wide angle lens doesn't see directly to the sides. If / when I go another route, I'm gonna want multiple cameras, Front, Left, Right and Rear. I'll wait for a system like this that can also record 24/7 to protect against vandals and thieves too.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Ontario G37S
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the update to the story....

Updated: 02-15-2012

From the person in charge of my insurance company:

Your claim is not under investigation. The video clearly shows what happened in the collision. I have called the third-party insurance company and they also have a copy of this. They will be proceeding 100% AF on the other driver. He initially reported that it was a rear end collision until his insurance company was sent the video.

Toronto Star:
Toronto News: YouTube video of minor accident on 401 sparks onslaught of threats, racism - thestar.com...

I knew Toronto Star will take sides! Thanks! I kept on repeating his 3 braking lights are all off and you still think that it is an accident! I have the recording of this ******* extorting me for $500.

Kate Allen and Zoe McKnight,

Your article seems to sympathize with what had happened to the other driver after the incident turned into a hot one on the internet. He acted like a victim and said his daily life and his jobs were affected after the news was spread. However, the fact is that I would become the victim if I did not install the dash camera - he might easily turn my life into a miserable one by insisting that he was hit by my car from behind. I might lose my future career, health, life and car because he made such a stupid, dangerous and unreasonable move at the middle of the busiest freeway in Toronto. My insurance premium might increase tremendously next year which will become unaffordable to a poor young student like me. My clean driving record will also be ruined by this guy, who had a lengthy rap sheet of Highway Traffic Act offences — 26 in four years (according to your article), if I could not prove myself to be innocent. Therefore, I am writing this letter to draw your attention to my above concerns so that you can hold a more balanced view when reporting this case.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 AM
KennyG37S

Thanks for all the supports from RFD buddies. I have read all your comments and information regarding to my case. Hopefully the case happened on me will encourage most of you to beware of the so called scammers. I really appreciate your help. Thousands of thanks. But please let the officials to do their work and I am really pissed that Toronto Star reporters take sides. I am uploading this clip to ask for attentions to the drivers in Toronto. But after they take sides, it seems the scammers are encouraged to use the "2 jobs, family members" as an excuse for creating the accidents.

I will be meeting the detective tomorrow and see what I can do for the next step.

Since the police is still investigating my case, here is the only update I can provide to you guys.

From the person in charge of my insurance company:

Your claim is not under investigation. The video clearly shows what happened in the collision. I have called the third-party insurance company and they also have a copy of this. They will be proceeding 100% AF on the other driver. He initially reported that it was a rear end collision until his insurance company was sent the video....

"He initially reported that it was a rear end collision until his insurance company was sent the video."

I think that small sentence will conclude the whole story.
Quoting the video poster from RFD for another update