Canada Serving Canada.

Thinking about a lift, no more drop!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Thinking about a lift, no more drop!

so my G37S 6MT sedan has the Eibach prokit springs, with 15mm H&R spacers and OEM 18" staggered sport wheels. i've posted photos in the past, and i LOVE the aggresive stance with the Eibachs. the handling is great too - flat corners and crisp turn-in. the ride isn't too bad, but certainly more firm than OEM. also, i think my setup would look great with the 19" coupe Rays i have from an '06.

here's my problem: i occasionally scrape on speedbumps and driveways. with just me in the car i'm usually OK. but with passengers i need to pay very close attention. this problem has been highlighted lately after carpooling coworkers to a meeting, and hauling the in-laws around house hunting. big-time scraping on a few occasions.

not only is scraping a pain in the ****, it is not exactly great for the undercarriage/exhaust. it is also embarrassing when i keep having to explain the situation. the bottom line is that i don't want to continue having to watch every bump for interference, or telling people i can't drive and make up some BS reason instead of "because my car will bottom out".

i am seriously considering going back to my OEM springs (which i have), and ditch the spacers. i know that selling the springs and spacers would almost cover the re + re (if i don't DIY), as well as the alignment. but i also know that i'll lose the great setup that sets me apart from almost every other G sedan in Vancity. BTW - i have yet to see another Blue Slate 6MT sedan in BC!

i would also likely have to sell the 19" '06 coupe rays since a "lifted" sedan with bigger wheels would look goofy, all jacked up.

so what are your thoughts? i'm sure that most guys on here will say stick with the Eibachs!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
simpson_G37X

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
so what are your thoughts? i'm sure that most guys on here will say stick with the Eibachs!
yup lol

just angle the bumps. the only problems i have is getting in and out of my driveway. even with 4 people im usually ok. and i have quite possibly the steepest driveway you have ever seen lol
Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
superleggera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get rid of the spacers, get 19 inch wheels, stick with eibachs, good to go
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
rdeol

I would keep them on.

But if your are going to get rid of them, I'll buy them!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM
canucklehead

Originally Posted by simpson_G37X
just angle the bumps. the only problems i have is getting in and out of my driveway. even with 4 people im usually ok. and i have quite possibly the steepest driveway you have ever seen lol
yeah, i've tried that. with the sedan's longer wheelbase angling the approaches doesn't always work. the coupe won't have the same problem.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Mysticalism

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so my G37S 6MT sedan has the Eibach prokit springs, with 15mm H&R spacers and OEM 18" staggered sport wheels. i've posted photos in the past, and i LOVE the aggresive stance with the Eibachs. the handling is great too - flat corners and crisp turn-in. the ride isn't too bad, but certainly more firm than OEM. also, i think my setup would look great with the 19" coupe Rays i have from an '06.

here's my problem: i occasionally scrape on speedbumps and driveways. with just me in the car i'm usually OK. but with passengers i need to pay very close attention. this problem has been highlighted lately after carpooling coworkers to a meeting, and hauling the in-laws around house hunting. big-time scraping on a few occasions.

not only is scraping a pain in the ****, it is not exactly great for the undercarriage/exhaust. it is also embarrassing when i keep having to explain the situation. the bottom line is that i don't want to continue having to watch every bump for interference, or telling people i can't drive and make up some BS reason instead of "because my car will bottom out".

i am seriously considering going back to my OEM springs (which i have), and ditch the spacers. i know that selling the springs and spacers would almost cover the re + re (if i don't DIY), as well as the alignment. but i also know that i'll lose the great setup that sets me apart from almost every other G sedan in Vancity. BTW - i have yet to see another Blue Slate 6MT sedan in BC!

i would also likely have to sell the 19" '06 coupe rays since a "lifted" sedan with bigger wheels would look goofy, all jacked up.

trade in for a coupe and buy another FX to drive your in-laws
Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Gee37S

I say go back to stock because I want your spacers
Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 PM
w1ley

tell the inlaws to loose weight
Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Coilovers and stiffen it up
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM
canucklehead

Originally Posted by w1ley
tell the inlaws to loose weight
lol! actually, i got myself in hot water when i said that my car was scraping because it was "fully loaded". the mother-in law didn't take that well. whatever, 4 people i call loaded.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 PM
canucklehead

i think i might try to ditch the spacers and throw on the 19" '06 coupe rays. if that doesn't help i'm probably going to swap out for the OEM springs. coilovers are not for me.

thx for the thoughts.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 AM
simpson_G37X

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, i've tried that. with the sedan's longer wheelbase angling the approaches doesn't always work. the coupe won't have the same problem.
ahh yeah thats a problem

Originally Posted by Mysticalism
trade in for a coupe and buy another FX to drive your in-laws
agreed, i love the FX's

Originally Posted by Gee37S
I say go back to stock because I want your spacers
i will have 2 sets of 25mm spacers available when my new wheels come in a week or two
Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Gee37S

Originally Posted by simpson_G37X

i will have 2 sets of 25mm spacers available when my new wheels come in a week or two
I tried a set of 25mm on my car but with the eibachs and the 245 and 275 tires I'm running it was going to rub
Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Hliang

I have the same issue, I have speed bumps in my garage I can't go in sideways because of a cement sidewalk on both ends of the speed bump. Horrible design of the garage in my opinion but yeah.

I was going to raise but I CAN'T Stand the stock height now just because I'm so use to being lowered (and I'm barely lowered, I'm on eibachs also) but if you can deal with the look and such, I'd say just raise it back up.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Sena

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey L,

Don't do it!!!
The 19" OEMs from the g37 on your car look sick.
MJ has them on his car.
I wonder if he has any pics.
You should ask him the next time we go out.
Your car will drive so diff without the drop.
But... I know what you mean...
Well, not really. No one is allowed in the back...

Quick Reply: Thinking about a lift, no more drop!