Canada Serving Canada.

Planning on getting a G37S from the USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Stallion27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning on getting a G37S from the USA

Hello folks,

I am looking into getting a G37S from a Infiniti dealer in Ontario which has been brought in from the U.S. The dealer was honest about it and told me right away that its been brough in from south of the border. He's telling me its in perfect condition.
I'm kinda worried about it though, what if its a lemon? can I trace the history properly? have the kms been changed? crash history would it be accurate?

these are some of my concerns, any input from you folks would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Frankyg37s

get the car fax im in quebec i got a us g and i have had zero problem i even got a new transmission under warranty so if its a good deal take it to an infiniti dealer and let them check it out GOOD LUCK
Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Surfdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
APA.ca

If you trust the internet. That states that Infiniti will cover the warrant of our cars as long as it has been registered in the US first and still within the allowed Miles / Years.

Secondly, Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle is the website that shows you what is required for importing a vehicle from US to Canada. All the prices associated with it, what checks you have to do, etc...

So make sure the dealership has done all those otherwise you'll have to do them. I suspect they have to in order to sell it.

On a side note, a US car has no blackbook value in Canada. I.e. you should be able to steal it from them, do NOT let them charge you Canadian prices for a US product. You should buy it at the US price. Check out Infiniti USA, our cars are $50 000 in Canada, in the States, it's $35 000.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 AM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Like franky said, check the CarFax and CarProof (wouldn't hurt). I assume the car is used and it probably is registered in Canada. Just make sure the car has functioning daytime running lights. And most importantly, take the car to your trusted mechanic and have the major mechanical parts + body panels. And depending on the state the car was driven in originally, you should check for rust and corrosion!

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 AM
indyn

I would be glad to run AutoCheck for you. Much better than carfax in terms of cars history, I backed out of a deal from a dealer in Chicago because the car had frame damage which didn't show up on carfax.

If you haven't bought yet, it looks like a good time to buy one. There are so many in the market and the economy there is slow.
I would avoid dealers selling cars from U.S. Most of them do not budge on the inflated price, car is not the best, for the same price they're asking you can get a brand new in U.S
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Stallion27

Guys thanks for the info...I ended up backing out of the deal.
Just had a bad vibe of the Infiniti Dealer in Guelph.
They had the car in the lot for 2 weeks; without any safety inspection done; he first told me the car was from Florida; once the CarFax came up it said it was from New York; then sold to an auction in Florida. The whole experience made me have doubts so I backed out.
Ended up getting a 2009 G37 S from AltaInfiniti in Woodbridge; picking it up on Weds.
So far great experience with the dealership and sales person was very helpful. I will keep you guys posted once all is said and done.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Stallion27

Picked it up yesterday! Great helpful staff at AltaInfiniti.
Man This baby begs to be driven!
2009 G37 S...Black on Black...20% tint...Navi n all that good stuff!
First drive in to work this morning; man I loved it!
Will post pics soon.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:46 PM
jdm_inspire

I think you were smart to get the Canadian car. I would NEVER trust a US-imported car unless I was the one who imported it. (I bought my car new from the US and brought it over myself ... I know I'll take a hit on resale but by then ... there should be little difference down the road ...)

Pics?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Stallion27

Thanks- also glad on not purchasing a US car through a dealer.
Here are some pics-
Not so clear I took them off my iphone quickly. I will post clearer pictures shortly.

Cheers

DOMO
Attached Thumbnails Planning on getting a G37S from the USA-picture-001.jpg   Planning on getting a G37S from the USA-picture-002.jpg   Planning on getting a G37S from the USA-picture-003.jpg   Planning on getting a G37S from the USA-picture-004.jpg   Planning on getting a G37S from the USA-picture-007.jpg  

Old 11-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Snowboid

US deal

Originally Posted by jdm_inspire
I think you were smart to get the Canadian car. I would NEVER trust a US-imported car unless I was the one who imported it. (I bought my car new from the US and brought it over myself ... I know I'll take a hit on resale but by then ... there should be little difference down the road ...)

Pics?
I wasn't planning on buying from the US (was going to look at 2011 G37s on return to Canada), but was offered a deal that I couldn't refuse.

Looked at a new 2010 that had been ordered and had some minor customization, then the buyer walked.

2010 G37 Sedan, blue slate with stone interior, wood, journey/premium with nav. Trunk kit (mat, net, first aid), splashguards, illuminated kick plates, interior mats, rear spoiler, E&G grille and chrome door accents.

Keeping in mind that the destination is $ 1000 less in the US and that I registered it in Arizona because I wanted to drive it here. Out the door price including tax: $ 36,335.50 US.

After exchange, duty, HST, inspection, RIV and DRLs total cost will be about $ 44,500 Canadian - or about $ 12-14K savings)

Now some people may not like the colour, grille, etc - but it was exactly what I wanted - plus I don't want AWD since snow is something avoided (summer in BC, winter in Arizona).

Plus to my surprise you can't get the G37 sedan with RWD in Canada anymore.

The only hassles are the DRLs, whether to buy the LED kit down here offered by Infiniti USA (at about $ 600) or wait to try the Hamsar unit in Canada. If I don't buy the US kit will have the fog lights for DRLs with Hamsar. Also don't know whether to pull the driver/front passenger tint before I head back or risk the ticket!?

I have seen some owners doing a DIY DLR with relays, etc - but my DIY days are done (retired and lazy).

This is my 4th Infiniti (97 I30, 00 I30, 03 G35, 10 G37). Surprised to find the 2010 fuel economy matches the 227 HP 00 I30 and bests the 2003 G.

Fastest car I had to date in my 40+ years of driving was a 70 Camaro with 65 Corvette 425 HP 396 engine (don't ask why). It's best 0-60 from memory (slightly faded) was 5.7 seconds - fuel economy was about 10 MPG Imperial overall.

So I now have a car that bests that time, plus has been getting 23 MPG US overall.

So all in all I tickled pink, grinning like I was 19 again.

Do you all think this was a good deal or??

Thanks,

Snowboid
Attached Thumbnails Planning on getting a G37S from the USA-g37smallpic.jpg  
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ great stuff, congrats!

i just recently took delivery of my US imported G37S sedan. i bought it from the 1st registered owner in Baltimore, private sale (actually it was bought off a Myg37 member, listed on the classifieds!). had a local broker handle the importation BS for me, for $750 fee. it's a Blue slate on Graphite, premium, NAV, sport package (w/ big brakes), rear lip spoiler, illuminated kickplates, and all the other goodies. it was the exact colour and pkg combo i was hoping for.i paid $26k USD, 20k miles. the dollar was at par so after all the fees, HST, duty, shipping, etc...my total was $35K CAD. this car would have cost ~$40k + HST if bought locally. so i still saved $10k! the car arrived as promised, in excellent condition. carfax was clean.

my original plan was to find a lightly-used Canadian '09 model, but after 6 months of searching nothing came up. then i tried buying a new '10 with a VPP voucher, again nothing in all of Canada. it seems 6MT sedans are hard to come by.

i was aprehensive about the whole idea at first, but now i have no regrets. i saved $10k, and got the car i wanted. i'll keep it for 4-5 years and have no concerns about "taking a hit" when i eventually go to sell. i doubt there will be much of an issue. the car is now a Canadian car, meeting all Canada regulations. it was built in Japan which is more important to me.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Snowboid

DRLs

Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ great stuff, congrats!

i just recently took delivery of my US imported G37S sedan. i bought it from the 1st registered owner in Baltimore, private sale (actually it was bought off a Myg37 member, listed on the classifieds!). had a local broker handle the importation BS for me, for $750 fee. it's a Blue slate on Graphite, premium, NAV, sport package (w/ big brakes), rear lip spoiler, illuminated kickplates, and all the other goodies. it was the exact colour and pkg combo i was hoping for.i paid $26k USD, 20k miles. the dollar was at par so after all the fees, HST, duty, shipping, etc...my total was $35K CAD. this car would have cost ~$40k + HST if bought locally. so i still saved $10k! the car arrived as promised, in excellent condition. carfax was clean.

my original plan was to find a lightly-used Canadian '09 model, but after 6 months of searching nothing came up. then i tried buying a new '10 with a VPP voucher, again nothing in all of Canada. it seems 6MT sedans are hard to come by.

i was aprehensive about the whole idea at first, but now i have no regrets. i saved $10k, and got the car i wanted. i'll keep it for 4-5 years and have no concerns about "taking a hit" when i eventually go to sell. i doubt there will be much of an issue. the car is now a Canadian car, meeting all Canada regulations. it was built in Japan which is more important to me.
I didn't think of a broker, may look into that so I can enjoy my time down here.

What did you do about DRLs?

Snowboid
Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 PM
indyn

guys,

there is nothing wrong in buying a US car. My g37 is from US and is the second vehicle from there. Though used, I saved quite a bit, my final price including tax n everything was way cheaper than what most of you paid before taxes.
Warranty is fully covered and in miles so upto 60k miles and already had checked out by local dealership for a warranty issue with no problems.
Do your due diligence and you'll save a bundle. Most of the cars bought in US move from state to state, mostly traded in auctions, some are involved in accidents but still fixed up nice, autocheck is best and carfax is not bad for car history.
You can have it inspected for as little as $130 without checking the car in person, even local Infiniti dealerships can do the inspection for you as long as the seller takes it there and most of them do. I prefer to buy it from a dealer than private because they do lot of work to earn business and usually sell a decent car. Private sellers can give you good price but money transferring, recall letter, etc requires extra work.

All the work is so easy to do that its worthwhile to do it and happy that Nissan/Infiniti honors the warranty.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:05 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowboid
I didn't think of a broker, may look into that so I can enjoy my time down here.

What did you do about DRLs?

Snowboid
DRLs were installed as part of the provincial/federal inspection process. i negotiated the vehicle purchase price, the broker dealt with all the inspection/border/recall letter BS.

in Vancouver there are numerous import brokers that will either source out foreign cars or import cars you find. importing generally makes the most financial sense for higher-end cars. a honda civic would not be a good vehicle to waste time and effort on, but BMWs/MBs/Infiniti's etc. will pay off.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by indyn
guys,

there is nothing wrong in buying a US car. My g37 is from US and is the second vehicle from there. Though used, I saved quite a bit, my final price including tax n everything was way cheaper than what most of you paid before taxes.
Warranty is fully covered and in miles so upto 60k miles and already had checked out by local dealership for a warranty issue with no problems.
Do your due diligence and you'll save a bundle. Most of the cars bought in US move from state to state, mostly traded in auctions, some are involved in accidents but still fixed up nice, autocheck is best and carfax is not bad for car history.
You can have it inspected for as little as $130 without checking the car in person, even local Infiniti dealerships can do the inspection for you as long as the seller takes it there and most of them do. I prefer to buy it from a dealer than private because they do lot of work to earn business and usually sell a decent car. Private sellers can give you good price but money transferring, recall letter, etc requires extra work.

All the work is so easy to do that its worthwhile to do it and happy that Nissan/Infiniti honors the warranty.

You will have minimal resale value compared to a Canadian vehicle, thats what the G35 and 350Z guys that bought US vehicles have found. In several cases they tried to trade them in and the dealership refused to even take it. I have a US G35 but I modded it to no end so I was not concerned with resale but it is something to consider when buying from the US.

Quick Reply: Planning on getting a G37S from the USA