Canada Serving Canada.

Imported G37 Coupe -- Daytime Running Lights Issue....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 PM
BB_Sam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imported G37 Coupe -- Daytime Running Lights Issue....

Very happy to have upgraded my 2003 G35 Coupe to a gently used 2008 G37 Coupe (Slate Blue). Given the strength of the Canadian dollar last week, I scored big and found my baby at an Infiniti dealership in Illinois.

Alas, here I am posting my first thread on myG37.com instead of G35driver.com

I imported the car on my own and had Canadian Tire do the RIV inspection -- as most probably know only the daytime running lights need to be installed. They installed the Hamsar DRL module. Everything seemed fine until a few hours after I picked up the car I noticed that sometimes (and it is not consistent) the DRL do not turn off They will stay on even after the car is completely off -- the headlight **** can be in either the "auto" position or even "off" and this same thing happens -- but not consistently.

When this did happen, in order to get the DRL to shut off, I had to go back in to the car, turn the car on (not the engine but just the power "ACC") then turn it off. Then the DRL will shut down properly.

I tried to replicate the situation at Canadian Tire -- I did it once in the parking lot for the mechanic but then when he brought the car into the bay we couldn't replicate it. He wanted the DRL's on so he could see which of the wires was live and perhaps he could hook it up to a different connection. The mechanic seemed knowledgeable (which is rare for Canadian Tire) and he spent a good 30 minutes studying the wiring diagram to see if he could figure it out. Eventually, I told him to just forget it and I would see if the problem persisted.

I know this is a long shot but has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas? Could it be a faulty Hamsar module???
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 PM
heff

how long do the lights stay on, theres a setting on ur tv that u can change from 45 secs to 30 secs ot 10 i belive, that may be ur problem!

and welcome! another canadian G oh yea! where u from?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 AM
BB_Sam

Originally Posted by heff
how long do the lights stay on, theres a setting on ur tv that u can change from 45 secs to 30 secs ot 10 i belive, that may be ur problem!

and welcome! another canadian G oh yea! where u from?
Thanks for the welcome I'm in Toronto.

As for the timing -- I don't think it has anything to do with the setting because when the DRL stayed on they stayed on for like 10 -15 minutes before I had to force them to shut off.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:21 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just do yourself a favour and pull the fuse out and diasble the whole thing! That's what I did right after I passed the inspection. Mine kept turning on and off in inconsistently when the car was on.

On a side note, does the rear lights turn on as well when you start the car (as DRL)?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

By the way, welcome to the G family!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Can I buy this unit online somewhere?

Im thinking about hooking up my Ironmans to this
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
Can I buy this unit online somewhere?

Im thinking about hooking up my Ironmans to this
Here you go Stoof:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...t%2BSystem.jsp

They only ship to a Canadian address though!

You can also call Hamsar to see where you can buy this in the US. Their number is in here:

http://www.hamsar.com/Content/EN/Con...torSearch.aspx

Last edited by CarAddict; 11-04-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well that doesnt help me then does it LOL

I guess i can use this, alot cheaper too.

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS KIT :eBay Motors (item 330373048758 end time Nov-05-09 20:00:00 PST)
Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

lol You're welcome!!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM
BB_Sam

Gotta give two thumbs up to Hamsar (the manufacturer of the DRL module). I emailed them and within 48 hours got this reply (see below). I brought the car back to Canadian Tire and they fixed the issue.

FYI just in case anyone else encounters this problem.

I'm told by the mechanic that in some cars the capacitor (which is where he had connected the green wire) may retain some power after the ignition is turned off and this is why I was experiencing the DRL's staying on. In the future, I would suggest anyone else adding DRL make sure that the mechanic is clear to attach the green wire to a proper source.

************************************************** ***********'
Please check the connection for the green wire and make sure it is
connected to a +12Vdc source which can only provide signal when the
engine is running.

Green wire input was designed to turn on the DRL if it is simply wrapped
around the spark plug wire. It's a very sensitive input, as soon as the
green wire will get a signal, it will turn on the DRL. Emitted signal
from spark plug wire or any other source can trigger the DRL on.

Please relocate the green wire if necessary and let me know if you still
experience the same problem.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
timp
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Sweet!! I have the same problem when I had Canadian Tire install the DRL. I imported the car from Oregon. I is driving me nuts wondering why the lights stay on sometimes for 1hr and other times 10 mins and still other times go off with the headlights in 30 sec.
Thanks for the lead I am going to CDN Tire right away!!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys got a Canadian Tire guy install DRLs on your car?!

You guys are nuts ... I wouldn't trust those guys to change my oil ...

My $0.02 ...
Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 AM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drl

Originally Posted by BB_Sam
Very happy to have upgraded my 2003 G35 Coupe to a gently used 2008 G37 Coupe (Slate Blue). Given the strength of the Canadian dollar last week, I scored big and found my baby at an Infiniti dealership in Illinois.

Alas, here I am posting my first thread on myG37.com instead of G35driver.com

I imported the car on my own and had Canadian Tire do the RIV inspection -- as most probably know only the daytime running lights need to be installed. They installed the Hamsar DRL module. Everything seemed fine until a few hours after I picked up the car I noticed that sometimes (and it is not consistent) the DRL do not turn off They will stay on even after the car is completely off -- the headlight **** can be in either the "auto" position or even "off" and this same thing happens -- but not consistently.

When this did happen, in order to get the DRL to shut off, I had to go back in to the car, turn the car on (not the engine but just the power "ACC") then turn it off. Then the DRL will shut down properly.

I tried to replicate the situation at Canadian Tire -- I did it once in the parking lot for the mechanic but then when he brought the car into the bay we couldn't replicate it. He wanted the DRL's on so he could see which of the wires was live and perhaps he could hook it up to a different connection. The mechanic seemed knowledgeable (which is rare for Canadian Tire) and he spent a good 30 minutes studying the wiring diagram to see if he could figure it out. Eventually, I told him to just forget it and I would see if the problem persisted.

I know this is a long shot but has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas? Could it be a faulty Hamsar module???
Hi,
Just wondering if where would they installed this unit, is it near one of the headlights, near battery box? I wanna disable mine and install an led strip on the fog light location and use it as drl.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM
GMP

Purchased G37 vert Pacific Blue / Wheat in Vegas June 2010; had DTRL installed by jobber nearby.
We had same issues described. Jobber said problem came with G37 (ie different than previous versions of Infinit. We were in Vegas with car last week and same jobber repaired in 5 minutes--involved moving fused wire either to or from the ignition.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:14 PM
railton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TeeItHi
Hi,
Just wondering if where would they installed this unit, is it near one of the headlights, near battery box? I wanna disable mine and install an led strip on the fog light location and use it as DRL..
Thanks
As luck would have it, after having imported my M6 about a year and half ago, I experience the DRL staying on issue just yesterday. They stayed on at least 5-10 minutes then everything fine since. I also had CT do the DRL thing. Where is this relay located that they would've added?
Railton

Quick Reply: Imported G37 Coupe -- Daytime Running Lights Issue....