Canada Serving Canada.

Warranty Service on your imported car

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warranty Service on your imported car

The dealership in my area (Agincourt Nissan/Infiniti) told me that all service under warranty for imported vehicles from the US will have a $100 deductable.

Anybody else take their imported car to a dealership for warranty service yet? I wonder if it's just this particular dealership that's trying to make extra $$.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That sounds sketchy!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
rrrevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask them why they are charging $100.

US Warranty is covered 100% in Canada; there is no "deductable" in regards to this.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Well, if I ever need to take my car in for warranty servicing I'll definitely refuse to pay the $100 deductible. Just curious if others have had the same experience.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
vINCe_Inc

pure scam !!!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Comatose

Its BS, call up the head office and complain. They'll give that dealer some lip.

My dealer (Richmond Autowest Infiniti) tried to charge me a $300 inspection fee to "ensure that the DRL's are working and that all the original parts are on the car, etc". Complete nonsense.. Called up head office, they confirmed that US imported infiniti's are 100% covered, and you shouldn't have to pay a dime on warranty work.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 AM
HP_John

Holy crap, what a load of BS. I was afraid some dealers would try to pull a fast 1 on Cdns who imported.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:36 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Anybody have the head office number handy? Gonna save in my cell for future reference.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 PM
BB_Sam

Why I will never go to Alta Infiniti..and.. potential Class Action Lawsuit

There's probably some value in using this board to track issues that Canadians are having with Infiniti Canada and with dealerships that are not honouring warranties from US vehicles. That's why I'm adding my story to this thread, as opposed to starting a new one....

So, here's my story and why I WILL NEVER BRING MY VEHICLE TO ALTA INFINITI AGAIN (even for an oil change), nor will I recommend this dealership.

I bought my 2008 G37 Coupe at Field's Infiniti just outside of Chicago. ..... I will digress here because I gotta say that the Americans are just so much better at the whole luxury car experience. Field's Infiniti is like a hotel resort -- they have a full coffee bar and cafe for all their customers. They'll make whatever you want to eat or drink for free -- I picked up my car at breakfast time -- they were making omlettes! They also have computer/internet stations so you can check your email or surf the net while you wait. In addition, there's a huge tv to watch while sitting on plush leather sofas.... If any of these US dealerships import their customer service philosophy to Canada, some of our Canadian dealerships are truly going to have to improve what they currently call "customer service".

Anyway, back to my incident. After driving my car back to Canada and having it for a week, I noticed that the leather on the driver's seat was bubbling. This is an issue that has been discussed and documented a lot on myG37.com. So, I went to Alta Infiniti to put in a warranty claim. At first they seemed to say it would fall under the warranty -- that was until they found out I had a US vehicle. Then, all of a sudden, the Service Manager had to come out and look at my car. First thing he says is, "Why don't you wait until it gets worse and then come back". I told him that I didn't want to wait and that there were others that complained about this problem. Then he said, "I don't feel comfortable submitting this claim" and he also said, "you can take it to another dealership and see if they'll cover it".

Since when do I care about the "comfort" level and/or "feelings" of the service manager at a dealership??? This is my warranty with Infiniti. I told him to just submit some pictures to Infiniti and let them decide. He refused. I left disgusted with the fact that I firmly believe that I was discriminated against becasue I had a US vehicle. Also, this is a $40,000 car that is less than 1 year old -- my 2003 G35's leather seats looked better than this car. The service manager seemed to take me for a fool. The bubbling leather is either a defect or a poor quality issue, no question about it.

I called Infiniti Canada to complain. They were equally useless -- more polite but useless. They took three weeks to investigate. I provided 10 photos from the active thread on myg37 which showed others had the same problem. I also included pictures of my leather seat to show that the issue was the same. In the end, they denied any liability and said that they stood by the dealership and there was nothing they could do.

After getting off the phone with them, I immediately went to another Infiniti dealership (who will remain nameless). The service person came out, and in a matter of 30 seconds (no joke) determined the leather seat was defective and had to be replaced. They ordered a new leather seat and it was installed earlier today. Looks great.

It is shocking to me that Infiniti would treat its customers like this. It's not my fault that the Canadian dealerships are trying to screw everyone with their pricing (I saved $10,000 CDN by going to the US even after all the taxes etc). Lower your prices and then people will stop importing their cars from the US.

Also, if Infiniti wants to claim that their warranty is transferrable to Canada then they better back that up by having their dealerships act consistently. If they don't, they're going to find themselves in good company with BMW which is now facing a class action lawsuit.

If others are having similar problems, I think this board is a great way to track them. It's only by consolidating our experiences and keeping the fire to Infiniti that any of these dubious dealer practices are going to change.

Drive safely!

BB_SAM
Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Originally Posted by PSYH
Anybody have the head office number handy? Gonna save in my cell for future reference.

that would be funny if they ask for the 100 dollars and you tell them to hold on a second. Then, call the head office right in front of them....