Canada Serving Canada.

Importing G37

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Importing G37

Has anyone bought a G37 from the states yet?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM
rrrevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. I have.. and a few others here as well. I'm just waiting to take delivery of it. The process is actually much simpler then I thought. When I get the car (should be this week), I'll be following up with my thoughts and experiences.. But so far.. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

That's good to hear, I'm hunting for one right now. And you're right, the process doesn't seem that complicated; I'm finding it harder to find a dealer not far away and won't rip me off.

Do you mind telling me what model and with what options you got, and how much you paid for it? You're having it shipped to you (how much)? Are you using a broker for the paperwork?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
kmare

I'm in the process too, and am getting cold feet as a result of the CMVSS issues with importation. Please keep us updated!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
rrrevin

Originally Posted by kmare
I'm in the process too, and am getting cold feet as a result of the CMVSS issues with importation. Please keep us updated!
What issues with Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 PM
kmare

not sure we can post links: but see the below

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/Business/
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Comatose

I dont see the problem. Vehicles that dont comply with the CMVSS are deemed inadmissible and are clearly identified on transport canada's list of admissible vehicles.

The 08 G37 falls under the admissible column as far as i can see. Immobilizers are standard.http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...__INFINITI.htm

Last edited by Comatose; 11-20-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Moreover, the G37 has a "Vehicle Immobilizer System" (go here, open the "security" tab) which is the issue with this new regulation.

Just be glad you're looking at a luxury car where this sort of thing is pretty much standard (unlike the civics and siennas...hehe).
Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 PM
kmare

I do agree that in theory that there should not be a problem. the issue is:

i. the regulator (RIV/TC) was slow communicate the impact of CMVSS114 on buyers and consequently it was not communicated until nov 1st that many vehicles manufactured after Sept 1st where suddenly inadmissible. People made purchases/imported models that at the time where on the admissible list; between form 1 and 2 the vehicle was declared inadmissible. They did their research and followed the process but were still screwed

ii. There is no guarantee that the same thing won't happen again to future buyers. Maybe other vehicles need to be added?

There are plenty of US spec cars that come with immobilizers that are inadmissible; the issue is that they don't comply with the specific Canadian standard.

Last edited by kmare; 11-20-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:53 PM
rrrevin

Originally Posted by kmare
not sure we can post links: but see the below

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/Business/
The folks getting stopped at the border did not do enough RESEARCH on how to import a vehicule. If the car is on the admissible RIV list, it's allowed in. The RIV list is found here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor.../list/Menu.htm

There may be a few modifications to make afterwards; but if it's on the list, you can bring it across. If the buyer in the story listing the Globe article had bothered to look at that list for his 2008 Honda Civic EXL, he would have seen that his vehicule was inadmissible.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

kmare: Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'm sure anyone who is looking to import a vehicle from the US will appreciate your find!

I have been contacting RIV myself via email on various vehicles and I was informed just this morning that the list on their site is in fact updated and was told to refer to it for admissibility status for all vehicles.

Hopefully that will put you at ease a bit.

Last edited by PSYH; 11-20-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
rrrevin

also note.. the guy in the article said he saved over $15,000 on the vehicule. Spend the pawltry $500 to get an immobilzer system put in the car and bring it across.. sheesh...

Quote from the RIV site:
"Every Passenger vehicle, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck and 3 wheeled vehicle manufactured after September 1, 2007 and with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs), except an emergency vehicle or a walk-in van, must be equipped with an immobilization system that meets CMVSS 114. While many vehicles manufactured for the United States market offer the electronic immobilization system as an option, there are some makes and models where this system is not available from the manufacturer. ***In many cases, an after market system that meets the intent of CMVSS114 can be installed by a third party.***"
Old 11-20-2007, 11:06 PM
kmare

rrrevin; here lies another problem - TC will not accept a non oem CMVS114. if this was the case I believe the vehicles would be admissible ie: imported would be required to get the DRLs and Immobilizer installed. Its a break down of communications between two gov departments and the public.

Of course these folks wouldn't be complaining if the issues was over $500 dollars, its over potentially $1000s of dollars that will be lost in depreciation on inadmissible vehicles.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Can we not agree that the topic of discussion, the G37, is admissible?

rrrevin:I'm still curious about how you got your ride and how much you paid for it.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 PM
rrrevin

Originally Posted by psyh
Can we not agree that the topic of discussion, the G37, is admissible?

rrrevin:I'm still curious about how you got your ride and how much you paid for it.
I should have the car tomorrow. I was told today it is in Calgary. After I get the car, fully inspect it myself, and drive it for a bit, I'll be posting everything; how I found it, where I found it, pricing, customs, getting forms filled out, the works. As far as pricing goes.. let's just say I was able to get a price match on probably the sweetest deal posted in these forums.

Quick Reply: Importing G37