Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Coming from BMW, Reliability very important

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:08 AM
Sly-Creed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming from BMW, Reliability very important

Hey,
I am a new member. I recently sold my 2007 BMW 335i Coupe due to it being unreliable. I just wanted to ask you G owners, how reliable is a 2008-2010 G37? I am going to give you an example of what I mean:
Anytime I would get inside my BMW, I would be stressed about something breaking, or me having to pay a huge amount to get something fixed. Ever since I have sold my BMW, I have been driving my brothers Civic, and I simply get in that car, and drive. The last thing I think about is something breaking or the maintenance. The reason I am asking this is because from owning my 335i for 10 months, I spent around $6000 on maintenance. So I am just very skeptical in terms of reliability at the moment, I still want a performance coupe thats fully loaded (willing to pay up to $18 000), but I want good reliability as well. Currently I am looking at the Genesis Coupe and an Infiniti G37.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:25 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Well, let’s take a look at the specs. The G37S is powered by a 3.7-liter V-6 that sends power to the rear wheels, while the Gen Coupe’s 3.8-liter V-6 also translates power to the rear wheels. The G’s V-6 is rated at 330 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque, while the six in the Genesis puts out 348 hp and 295 lb-ft. Both cars come equipped with a six-speed manual.

The 2013 Gen Coupe got from 0-60 at 5.2 seconds and ran through the quarter mile in just 13.9 seconds at 102.2 mph. Meanwhile, the last Infiniti G37S Coupe we tested needed 5.4 seconds to hit 60 and 13.8 seconds at 101.3 mph to nip the quarter mile.

It's going to depend on what you're looking for. The G37 will ride a lot easier (more comfortable) and the interior is a bit better. And I personally think it's a very reliable car.

Both are great options on opposite spectrums. The G37 will ride a lot softer, think GT rather than sports car. It would be quieter inside the cabin, more relaxed. The Genesis Coupe will be far more sporty, still have a great interior in Track trim and be faster to boot.

Do you live where it snows? Get the G37x if you do. A used G37 is a great car for the money.

Infiniti has 4yrs/60k bumper to bumper warranty. Powertrain is 6yrs/70k.

Hyundai (used) is 5yrs/60k bumper to bumper warranty and powertrain.

Best of luck with the decision and keep us posted with which route you end up choosing. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to ask. I'm sure others will also chime in with opinions and advice as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 AM
ram18962
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The G37 is very reliable IMO. I haven't had any major problems since I have purchased it, just regular full synthetic oil changes every 3750 and major fluid changes every 30k (differentials, trans, transfer case, brake, coolant). Only thing that people end up having to do is get the throttle bodies cleaned at some point which there is a DIY for it on here so not a big deal either. Something breaking on the G is literally the last thing that crosses my mind but that just could be cause I make sure all the maintenance work is done on time and taken to a proper shop. Daily driver for the last 6.5 years. 2009 G37xS 75k miles.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Get a 2012 or newer and/or spend a little more for a certified pre-owned.. And you pretty much drive it with no worries.
CPO warranty for Infiniti is up to 100K miles. You will rarely use that warranty unless the car was perhaps abused prior to you buying it.
Anything prior to 2012 and you might worry about a leaky timing cover gasket that would cost a lot of money to fix. 2012 + models fixed that issue.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
I don't want to reiterate everything that the guys have already said, but the G37 is definitely the more luxurious of the pair while the Genesis is marginally quicker. In terms of reliability, I've had the car for almost a year (currently 57k) and haven't had to worry about anything breaking down. However, a small percentage of 2008-2011 owners have had their rear timing cover gaskets replaced (about a $2k fix). Also, if you're looking fora 6MT, make sure that the master/slave cylinders were replaced as these have a history of failures.

In terms of financials, keep in mind that the Infiniti will hold its value, pending the market's reaction to the new Q50/Q60. On the other hand, you can pick up a Hyundai for $3-4k less with the same mileage and condition. This price difference might be warranted since you'll probably get "salvage value" when you're done with it.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:10 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
They don't call them TroubleU's for nothing. If you don't Bring Money With you, you should own one outside of warranty. Now as a race car, that is something different...
Old 05-24-2016, 05:48 PM
Sly-Creed

Originally Posted by kennyz424
Well, let’s take a look at the specs. The G37S is powered by a 3.7-liter V-6 that sends power to the rear wheels, while the Gen Coupe’s 3.8-liter V-6 also translates power to the rear wheels. The G’s V-6 is rated at 330 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque, while the six in the Genesis puts out 348 hp and 295 lb-ft. Both cars come equipped with a six-speed manual.

The 2013 Gen Coupe got from 0-60 at 5.2 seconds and ran through the quarter mile in just 13.9 seconds at 102.2 mph. Meanwhile, the last Infiniti G37S Coupe we tested needed 5.4 seconds to hit 60 and 13.8 seconds at 101.3 mph to nip the quarter mile.

It's going to depend on what you're looking for. The G37 will ride a lot easier (more comfortable) and the interior is a bit better. And I personally think it's a very reliable car.

Both are great options on opposite spectrums. The G37 will ride a lot softer, think GT rather than sports car. It would be quieter inside the cabin, more relaxed. The Genesis Coupe will be far more sporty, still have a great interior in Track trim and be faster to boot.

Do you live where it snows? Get the G37x if you do. A used G37 is a great car for the money.

Infiniti has 4yrs/60k bumper to bumper warranty. Powertrain is 6yrs/70k.

Hyundai (used) is 5yrs/60k bumper to bumper warranty and powertrain.

Best of luck with the decision and keep us posted with which route you end up choosing. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to ask. I'm sure others will also chime in with opinions and advice as well.
Those are some very good points. I have test driven the G37s and its the car for me. However, unfortunately there are absolutely none on sale here in Calgary that are coupes with low kilometres. Not having much time due to work and school, I would be needing one right away, which is why I'm leaning towards the Genesis Coupe. I am looking at the ones that are 2010 - 2012, so its the 3.8 engine with 306 HP. I fell in love with that G37 drive though.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 PM
timc00k

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Japanese > German.

Now go buy one
Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly-Creed
Those are some very good points. I have test driven the G37s and its the car for me. However, unfortunately there are absolutely none on sale here in Calgary that are coupes with low kilometres. Not having much time due to work and school, I would be needing one right away, which is why I'm leaning towards the Genesis Coupe. I am looking at the ones that are 2010 - 2012, so its the 3.8 engine with 306 HP. I fell in love with that G37 drive though.
If you go Genesis, stretch your budget a little bit and get into a 2013, even the 2.0T will be quicker than the older V6 at our altitude. If you're not in a huge rush, wait until a good 2013 comes up at that price range. Nicer interior, more power, better ride, tail lights that look amazing, and a much more modern and aggressive exterior in general. I went from a 2012 Genesis 2.0T to my G37X, and there's been a lot of times that I definitely miss it.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 AM
Sly-Creed

Originally Posted by Epiphany
If you go Genesis, stretch your budget a little bit and get into a 2013, even the 2.0T will be quicker than the older V6 at our altitude. If you're not in a huge rush, wait until a good 2013 comes up at that price range. Nicer interior, more power, better ride, tail lights that look amazing, and a much more modern and aggressive exterior in general. I went from a 2012 Genesis 2.0T to my G37X, and there's been a lot of times that I definitely miss it.
That's some very good advice. Unfortunately, I work full time and am in University full time so I travel so much back and forth, that I don't believe I can wait too long without a vehicle. The price difference between a 2011 and 2013 is huge. it jumps from $15 000 to $23 000. To be honest, for that price, I can easily pick up a 2011 fully loaded G37s. However, I'm just looking to get a fun sports car in the $15 000 - $18 000 range that has extremely cheap maintenance (coming from a BMW haha) that will last me until I graduate (3 more years). What do you miss about your Genesis in particular?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:29 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly-Creed
That's some very good advice. Unfortunately, I work full time and am in University full time so I travel so much back and forth, that I don't believe I can wait too long without a vehicle. The price difference between a 2011 and 2013 is huge. it jumps from $15 000 to $23 000. To be honest, for that price, I can easily pick up a 2011 fully loaded G37s. However, I'm just looking to get a fun sports car in the $15 000 - $18 000 range that has extremely cheap maintenance (coming from a BMW haha) that will last me until I graduate (3 more years). What do you miss about your Genesis in particular?
Working full time and going to school full time I'd buy something cheaper personally, grab a 5 year old Accord or something. The Genesis was just a lot more fun to drive, and even though it got a lot of law enforcement attention, and a lot of people trying to street race me I definitely miss the looks of it, felt more fun and connected to drive as well. What about something like these?

"http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe-premium-leather-navi-90daynopayment/1164552336"
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Old 05-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
I've had my 08 for 4 years and now it has 113k miles and the last thing on my mind is if it's going to break down on me (and I drive spirited on a daily basis)
Old 05-25-2016, 03:45 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
If you don't go into heavy modding, you will have amazing reliability with these cars. I've had some issues with mine but that's because it makes double the power when compared to the stock car so naturally things are no longer as reliable and a lot of parts are no longer stock. A few things to keep your eye on: if you have a manual gearbox, concentric slave cylinder is a weak link, they tend to go very early due to being surprisingly cheaply built units, if you replace clutch there's a 100% chance that csc needs replacement as well. I recommend upgrading to zspeed heavy duty version. A small percentage of cars prior to 2010 (?) had a defect with timing cover gasket, this may require a lot of labor to fix but if it hasn't blown already then you are probably ok. A few cars that are always parked outside in a very hot climate states may have melting of the dashboard area near the windshield. And finally, rear differential bushings tend to leak silicone out of them at around 50k miles, you can just keep them as is without any serious repercussions or you can replace them with better aftermarket ones such as Whiteline. All things considered, you will be hard pressed to find a more reliable car.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Any chance you could swing buying a older honda for a couple/few thousand? Then you could be patient to find the right car whether it be a G or Genesis. You're talking about spending a big chunk of change and jumping on the first thing that is available could leave you with regrets in the long run.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:52 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
^^ I agree with Jai on this one for sure. Don't rush into a car take your time be patient and do you research prior to pulling the trigger on a purchase brother. Best of luck and I hope to see you in a G soon!

Quick Reply: Coming from BMW, Reliability very important