Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Is this G37 Sport a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Appears to also have an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:44 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
This car has 5 previous owners, 3 of whom are not dealerships. I'd pass since it was originally a lease, and then went to another owner for 10k miles...probably means that it was driven hard for the first 40k of its life.

Imo your car is intrinsically worth more than $2k if it can take you from point A to B. I know $12k is pretty cheap for this car, but this may not be the best used example out there. I'd wait to find another G since there will definitely be more stock once the Q60 comes out.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:07 PM
mrittman
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have driven the car twice and am going to have it inspected this coming Monday. Guess it got the best of me because I put a down-payment on it for $200 to have him hold it. Unfortunately I wouldn't get that back if I decided to back out after the inspection. I'm pretty handy when it comes to working on things, so if there are minor issues with the car, that doesn't bother me. However, if there are bigger issues...I'm kind of SOL. I'm not the most brilliant person in the world. Just seems like a really good car. Hope I'm making a good choice...!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:20 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Just be wary of these small used-car dealerships. Some are friendly and honest but most are there to screw you over. Even if the Carfax/vehicle history report are clean, there could be some underlying problem or previous unreported accident. When I was shopping around for a G35 coupe a few years back, I found one I liked at a used car dealer with low miles and a good price. I went to test drive it in person and have it inspected at a local Infiniti dealership. Test drive didn't reveal anything bad about it but the techs at Infiniti could tell it was involved in an accident and had other problems (suspension and exhaust to name a few; at that time I wasn't planning on making any modifications or replacing those components LOL ). The Infiniti representative even told me not to buy the car. That was not what I wanted to hear, but I ended up making the better choice with a different purchase.

Bottom line is, don't let your impatience get the best of you. I would say pass on this one and wait for a better deal.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:50 PM
mrittman
Registered Member

Guess we'll see what Infiniti says about it. I won't buy it if they find a bunch of issues with it. If I lose $200...well $300 after inspection...that's life I guess. I'd rather lose that much than much more if I end up with a lemon...
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by mrittman
Guess we'll see what Infiniti says about it. I won't buy it if they find a bunch of issues with it. If I lose $200...well $300 after inspection...that's life I guess. I'd rather lose that much than much more if I end up with a lemon...
Yep, better off spending $300 to find out all of the problems beforehand than spending $11k+ trying to figure out what to do with it lol. Good luck with your shopping!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:44 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Did you sign an agreement for the $200 deposit? For such a "common" high mileage car, I wouldn't expect ANY dealer to make these kinds of binding agreements, and would demand a refund if there are hidden issues. I'd say this is a red flag that the dealer will try to sell anything that comes onto their lot.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 PM
mrittman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kickintheglass
Did you sign an agreement for the $200 deposit? For such a "common" high mileage car, I wouldn't expect ANY dealer to make these kinds of binding agreements, and would demand a refund if there are hidden issues. I'd say this is a red flag that the dealer will try to sell anything that comes onto their lot.
What I signed for the $200 is him just saying he would hold it for me and not let anyone else buy it until I pay the full price. I usually never buy from dealers, because of crap like this, but it seems like a nice car. We'll see what Infiniti finds when they do the inspection. They told me they check everything...top to bottom, front to back. I should have had this done before paying the $200 to have him hold the car
Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 AM
JeffG37x

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Well you are in it to win it now. Hopefully it checks out and you buy it.

In terms of getting your $200 back. Just know there are ways to get that back if it doesn't check out. Might not be worth your time but you definitely can get it back.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:55 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Best of luck on the outcome man! I really am rooting for ya and hope there's no serious issues with the car! Make sure to keep us posted with the outcome!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:14 PM
mrittman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kennyz424
Best of luck on the outcome man! I really am rooting for ya and hope there's no serious issues with the car! Make sure to keep us posted with the outcome!
I sure will! I'll let you all know on Monday what I decide to do!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 AM
mrittman
Registered Member

Well, I ended up buying the car Talked him down to $12,400 as there are a few cosmetic interior issues and it's missing the spare tire. Not too bad I don't think. I love that it's a manual coupe, as you don't see these very often.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM
VQpoppa
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Congrats!! Time......to......MOD
Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 AM
mrittman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VQpoppa
Congrats!! Time......to......MOD
Yep! It's actually got a Stillen intake and an aftermarket exhaust already, which is nice. However I did notice I was at a dead stop and hit the gas and the car took a second to actually respond. Kinda scared me because there was a car coming and I'm thinking...uhh is this thing gonna go?! I hear people installing a Throttle Controller to fix this issue. Seems kind of tacky to me though. I don't want a separate display for my throttle. I just want it to go like it's supposed to when I push the gas pedal!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Yep! It's actually got a Stillen intake and an aftermarket exhaust already, which is nice. However I did notice I was at a dead stop and hit the gas and the car took a second to actually respond. Kinda scared me because there was a car coming and I'm thinking...uhh is this thing gonna go?! I hear people installing a Throttle Controller to fix this issue. Seems kind of tacky to me though. I don't want a separate display for my throttle. I just want it to go like it's supposed to when I push the gas pedal!

Yeah that's a known issue that may or may not be fixed from a grounding kit and a tune. It seems 100 random from what I understand. Congrats on the purchase. I bought the same car for $12,500 with 80k a couple months ago. I'd say you got a fair deal. As long as you do your own work, the little things you mentioned are no biggie, even the dreaded timing cover gasket can be done for under $50 with basic tools, its just a huge pain to get to lol.. Enjoy the car man, I'm super jealous of your manual trans!

My first mod was a wireless Bluetooth receiver to use your phone for music streaming. DO IT!

Quick Reply: Is this G37 Sport a good deal?