Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Bought a G37 - How much of a bath did I take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:52 AM
CaptainH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a G37 - How much of a bath did I take?

This is my second infiniti, but the first one I bought from an Infiniti dealer. Somehow I guess I hoped it would be a better experience since, after all,it was Infiniti. I guess all car dealerships are susceptible to greed, whether selling $5K cars or $50K cars. I know of a few that are straightforward and honest, unfortunately this wasn't my experience this time.

When I get to the dealer I walk out and locate a demo in the lot I saw online and asked to drive it, they said it had been taken for a test drive. I said okay, I would like to test drive a 2012 I saw online. They go look for the keys and after 10 minutes come back and say it was just sold. I point out the demo and we go test drive it.

So I buy the 2013 G37 Convertible. It was a demo with 6000+ miles. I negotiated to $15K off of the $55K MSRP. I am looking at Edmunds and it says “othersare paying” around $41K for a new 2013, but then it says the MSRP is $49K. I am confused because all the cars I’ve seen have around a $55K sticker price. I saw other dealers were taking off $10K off MSRP of 2013’s (which were slim pickin’s)so I figured I got around a $5K discount for it being a demo. I think a really good deal would have been around $37-38K, but I thought at the time it was a very fair deal for both of us. It was the exact car (color/options) I was looking for and am happy with the car, just feeling now I bought a demo for the same price as a new one.

I actually started looking at a 2010 with 30K miles at a different Infiniti dealer that they were asking $32K and I got them down to $30K. They gave me theold song and dance they were only making a few hundred bucks at that price but they really wanted to move a lot of cars that month. What they didn’t know was they had left the receipt for the auction in the car which I found during the test drive, so I knew exactly how much they paid for it. Even if they put a few thousand into it (which I doubt) they would still have made a hefty profit. I guess I ultimately decided to go with the new/demo because I figured it was worth $10K more for the3 years and 23K mi difference. I have a diesel truck I can always drive/commutewith if needed to control mileage, so the extra 6K miles didn’t bother me.

Finally I get to the finance guy. He tries to tell me the best IFS (NMAC) will do is 3.69% for a tier 1 customer. I know this is a crock and he can giveme whatever he wants. I tell him I’m walking if I can’t get 1.9%. He says give him a minute and he’ll see if there are any other banks willing to do better. He types a little on his computer, like he is emailing someone. I am thinking now he was just hitting random keys on the keyboard to try to read me to see how much more lies I will tolerate. After a few minutes he says he found a bank that is offering 2.24% and guess what, IFS magically agrees to match. I think dealers make this process a few hours because they know you get tired and more easily persuaded to give up more money. I do the math and see it’s a fewhundred dollars more and give in. My credit union does 1.9% but bump it a point for a 72 month term. I found out they have a program where they will match any refinance, pay any fees, and give me a $100 gift card. If I had originally been offered 1.9% with no hassle at the dealer I wouldn’t bother, but since they tried to play games… I guess Karma can be a… anyway I am going to call IFS and explain exactly why I plan on refinancing. Supposedly there is no penalty or fee for early pay off, lets hope that at least was the truth.

He also tried to sell me all the warranties and extras and I refused nicely. I was thinking the extended warranty makes sense, but reading articles on the internet they say it’s not worth it. After he told me I had to purchase the warranties before I left, he came back and said I have a week. They offered something called “DentGuard” which seems like something worthwhile. I already have a 1 cm deepscratch I found the next morning. I didn’t see it when I did the test drive andnot sure how it got there. I went around to a couple of reputable paint/bodyshops and they had never heard of Dent Guard. One quoted me $400 and the otherput some clear coat on for free so it wouldn’t rust.

The last thing is the demo disclosure. They had to replace the back windshield.I was originally told it had a rock hit it and made a small crack. During the “warranty sales pitch” I was told I should get the extended warranty because the back windshield could break just like it had already done while opening the roof. After his pitch I asked if anything else had been damaged when the roof was closed. He said no. I told him I thought the back windshield was damaged by a rock. He quickly back-peddled and said he didn’t know how itwas damaged. I thought for a second about pressing him on the earlier comment, but decided they already had gotten me muddy enough (wrestle with pigsand you will get dirty). I was cordial and firm through the whole process, but I honestly did not have a good feeling when I left that dealership and felt dirty driving off in my new car. I would have hoped it would have been the exact opposite after purchasing such an awesome automobile.

Last edited by CaptainH; 02-25-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 AM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
55k would be the MSRP before the Qs came out... i got mine (2013 G37s 6mt) OTD for 42K a few months before the Q came out and they kind of had the advantage over me but its all good love my car.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Byron Sexton

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
When it comes to a car dealership....YOU WILL NEVER WIN completely.
either you are going to get a deal on the car price and get got on financing or vice versa.

As long as you feel you got a great Car then that is all that matters. Pricing and numbers vary and as long as you are not paying MSRP then you are good to go.

If you Finance a car you are losing money period.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:51 PM
CaptainH

But that's the point, how can you enjoy a car you paid too much for because you were lied to?

As far as financing, I don't see it that way. I would rather finance the car at 1.9% then pay $40K cash for it. I guess the smarter financial decision would be to drive a $10K car, but you only live once.

Inspector, what was the MSRP? I am seeing $48K on the Infiniti website and $55K on the dealer's websites. Is there really 2 MSRP's? If so I am guessing the $48K MSRP doesn't have navigation, bose "air", etc., or something like that.

Last edited by CaptainH; 02-25-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
I had to leave the dealer to get a car loan at a private bank to come back and buy the car "cash". Then they tried to charge me "dealer fees" after I already had my check in hand and had to leave the dealer (yet again) because they would not drop $500.

They called 15 minutes later after I left agreeing to drop it lol.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You an go to the Infiniti website and build a G37 convertible with the exact options that your car has. That is the MSRP. Definitively. Whatever price you paid below that is how much you saved over MSRP. Post those exact numbers and it'll give a clearer picture of how much the car cost and how much you paid.

If another website says others are paying X but the MSRP it's using is on a differently configured car with a different selling price, you aren't comparing apples to apples.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:15 PM
yardie_g37_6mt

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
It appears the dealer tried to sap you for every penny they could get out of you especially at the end with the "Dent Guard". Hopefully you've learned quite a bit from your experience. Always be prepared and do you homework including financing if possible before you go to any dealership. At this point forget about if you've paid too much for car or not and just enjoy being part of the family.
The following users liked this post:
Byron Sexton (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 PM
JerseyG37s

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
this is why i love working for infiniti.... never had one of those stories but i have seen them in action!!! sorry you had a poor experience OP.... the thing when you're buying a car is name your price and they need to match where you'd like to be.... i do that for every car i lease or own! i told them i want to be at 525 a month with the supercharger and they made it happen no money down just paid TTL! I know its different for me because i work for them but hell give it a shot next time it may work out!!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
That's the joy of being a customer. You have the power to walk out. Do it!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow. Walking out to Think About It is always your best leverage ...oh and getting a deal lined up at one dealership(Ford), walking out the door to Sleep On It and using that pending deal as leverage at the Other dealership(Infiniti) was mine

This allowed me to reference the great interest rate now qualified at X bank as a Match it or Beat it proposition
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
COBRA ESQ
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It seems to become standard practice where I am (Metro NY) to advertise or quote a price only to find out when you sit down to close the deal that the price is only good if you finance 90% directly from the dealer. Don't want financing or have your own source of financing, then the price is thousands higher

Bottom line, they make more on the financing than the do on the car!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM
CaptainH

I had that conversation with Infiniti. I also asked about the "starting at" MSRP on the internet. They put a low MSRP with zero options but there are no cars at any dealers in the area (and I would say across the US) that are at that MSRP. The reason is Infiniti customers want options so why would a dealer carry any cars with NO options? That's fine except it really seems to be a bait and switch tactic if there are no cars on the lot at the "starting at "MSRP. Their reply was, you can build one at that MSRP. Yea whatever, it may be a legal loophole but now I understand how Infiniti looks at and treats their customers.

I did actually walk from the dealer. I didn't want to bore you with every last detail. I know I could have done a little better, just curious how much.

Black Betty, the numbers are there: $55K - $15K = $40K. Its a base model with premium Bose "open air" sound, leather heated/cooled seats, and navigation/camera. Its NOT IPL, I actually like the ride in the base better. I ran all the numbers and made sure there were no other unnecessary fees included. I have an Excel spreadsheet that calculates everything if anyone wants it, unfortunately I couldn't attach it here.

What irks me the most I guess is how I was treated. I took the family to Disney World a few years back. Prices were a little high, but the family wanted to go. When I got there I saw everything was so expensive, but its similar to other theme parks, football games, etc. I was a little half-annoyed the first morning but then I started to realize, Disney blows away any expectation you have down to the last detail. By the end of the week I was spending more than I planned on and happy to do it. Its definitely worth the extra money. I guess I expected that from Infiniti, I pay more but I get more. Not my experience.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Byron Sexton

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just sounds like a Bad dealership....
When you get a survey for how your buying experience was .....Make sure to mark them really low.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:53 PM
ang37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the dealership tries to stiff you at every step of the process, then it's just a bad dealership and it reveals the mentality of management including the owners. I would walk away from scum bags like that. Cause they don't care about you as a customer. But on the flip side I also dislike consumers who want everything for free.

My opinion on this is, if you get the product that you want and at the price that you are comfortable, then that's a good deal for you. Learning and becoming an educated consumer is an essential part of the buying process, and for that purpose when buying a G, this forum is a valuable resource. I got excellent advice from forum members and that helped me lot during the buying process.