Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Buying a used G37 - Issue to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM
InfiniG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buying a used G37 - Issues to look out for

Looking to buy a used 2011/2012 G37. Not sure at this point if I'll end up with a sedan or coupe, RWD or AWD, etc. Would like to know what issues, if any, to look out for in terms of common problem areas (including options/mods to avoid). Please help me avoid buying someone else's problems!
Thanks!

PS—Please remember to post what year/submodel/options/mods your posts apply to. Thanks.

PPS—If I get good responses, this might make a useful sticky thread. Just a thought.

Last edited by InfiniG; 03-14-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Diesel350

First and Foremost buy the AutoCheck to find out the cars history. It's worth it, I've already run into a ton of cars with title issues, accidents, multiple owners, commercial vehicles, you name it. That alone will help you avoid buying someone else problems.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 PM
homerjs

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel350
First and Foremost buy the AutoCheck to find out the cars history. It's worth it, I've already run into a ton of cars with title issues, accidents, multiple owners, commercial vehicles, you name it. That alone will help you avoid buying someone else problems.
If it is commercial vehicle is company required to have name on Carfax/autocheck report?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Besides that. You need an independent mechanic regardless of what you get.
What model depends on your needs, awd you may not need.
Coupe or sedan is like asking mustard or ketchup ?
If you need a back seat, then a sedan is good to go, if you don't coupe's are stylish.
Suggest you test drive some different models, maybe you'll want awd?
You won't know til you test.

You can check for recalls, just make sure it's not been hit.
Get a shop close by, best 100 you'll ever spend,
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by homerjs
If it is commercial vehicle is company required to have name on Carfax/autocheck report?
It will just say commercial vehicle used for business purposes. It will not have the companies name on the report.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Besides that. You need an independent mechanic regardless of what you get.
What model depends on your needs, awd you may not need.
Coupe or sedan is like asking mustard or ketchup ?
If you need a back seat, then a sedan is good to go, if you don't coupe's are stylish.
Suggest you test drive some different models, maybe you'll want awd?
You won't know til you test.

You can check for recalls, just make sure it's not been hit.
Get a shop close by, best 100 you'll ever spend,
But if you buy from a dealership will they even let you take the car off the lot to an independent mechanic?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 AM
JustinInfMelb

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Preowned G

Drop me a email buddy, Im up here at Infiniti of Melbourne in Florida. we have a really nice 2012 Moonlightwhite Sedan with the 18" wheel package and Nav and Stone interrior that a employee traded in super early off a lease. Its practicly brand new, we also have alot of nice preowned G37's. Let me know how I can help, drop me an email at
JMHoward83@Me.com
Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^What if the buyer is in CA? Dealership will pay for fly'n'buy? Not really applicable to OP's questions...

To answer the OP's question, I don't believe the 11/12 MY have any majors bugs. Most everything has been worked out by the 2010 MY. You don't specify if you're going with the mt/at. If the later, be sure to drive one at length to ensure you're happy with the shifting characteristics of the AT. The MT is a bit noisy and has a short engagement window (common on all the years). Alot of us change exhaust and sway bars to stiffen the car up a bit.

I'm partial to the sedan because there is more utility with the back seat. If that's not important to you, go with the coupe.

@Diesel350, I don't see why not. If that's what it takes to make the sale. Around here, most will even let you take the car over night. I think the OP has to figure out what he wants first, then start shopping it.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 PM
InfiniG

Heh thanks guys. And special thanks to Jsolo for actually addressing OP lol. I do intend to go for the 7AT, but the way i understood it the car should adjust shiftpoints to your driving style, and (if bought from the dealer) a used G's tranny should be reset at purchase... true?

Only hesitation with the coupe is the miniscule trunkspace. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

@Justin—Thanks, but I've got plenty of options in my area, and it's not quite time to buy yet anyway.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
To be honest, aside from the normal wear and tear items and doing your due diligence with a CarFax, there is really not that much that goes wrong with our cars.

I would personally feel comfortable buying a G used with high mileage, knowing the the standard creaks, rattles and control arm bushings - and maybe an occasional hunger for brake pads - is about as bad as it gets.

Fortunately, these are not BMWs or Audis and you do not need a 3-4k extended warranty when buying used
Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 PM
InfiniG

Originally Posted by socketz67
To be honest, aside from the normal wear and tear items and doing your due diligence with a CarFax, there is really not that much that goes wrong with our cars.

I would personally feel comfortable buying a G used with high mileage, knowing the the standard creaks, rattles and control arm bushings - and maybe an occasional hunger for brake pads - is about as bad as it gets.

Fortunately, these are not BMWs or Audis and you do not need a 3-4k extended warranty when buying used
BINGO! Exactly the kind of response I was looking for—these are things I can watch out for. ...And unfortunately same exact issues I've had with my 2000 Maxima SE.

Are those issues with specific model years/sub-models/trim packages, or across the board? I'm thinking the brakes and control arm bushings particularly might be more of an issue for G's that have the sport package? Also kind of hoping they fixed the squeaks and rattles in the more recent model years...
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
captk

Another thing to keep an eye on is wear on the silver trim surfaces inside the car, as well as the black areas near the steering wheel radio controls. It used to be a lot worse on 2010 and earlier models and I believe the materials were changed in 2011 - but just an FYI.

This second thing may be obvious to some, but it wasn't for me coming from an SUV. Check the front bumper and hood for gravel marks and pits - I've seen some Gs with pretty chewed up front ends, especially out here in Colorado.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I bought my 2011 G37 with around 30K miles

no issues at all

I also had a 2004 G35 that never had any issues. Only thing I had to replace were spark plugs and a battery. $250 over 8 years is nothing for maintenance