Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

THinking about a G37s 6MT or another...Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
ArmyzFinest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THinking about a G37s 6MT or another...Help Please!

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum, I apologize ahead of time for comparing cars rather than just talking about a G37s but I have come down to either the Infiniti G37s or the 2011 Subaru Sti Sedan. I'm pretty sure you G37 owners don't want to be hearing about an Sti but I'm literally stuck and what better people to ask than current owners of this vehicle. I've been saving up enough since getting back from afghanistan and im ready to buy. I was going to get an Audi S5 but the 14mpg pretty much threw that out the window and you can hit a brick wall in modding fairly quickly with an S5 but it is a very nice sport/luxury car. Anyways I live in NY so AWD would be awesome to have but not a necessity since I have my SUV. I love the sleek design of the G37 but I love the aggressive design of the Sti. All in all I like to mod a car just like anyone else. I plan on doing I/H/E set-up and other mods also probably boosting in the future with a g37 if I feel the need, but an Sti has the boost and I would just have to work on other things than worrying about saving up for F/I build. I drove the G37s yesterday and as soon as I sat in the driver seat it felt so comfortable I could of fell asleep in the dealer lot lol. It seems to pull pretty nicely and handle turns pretty good and the features/interior are very nice with all those fancy buttons and of course who doesn't mind a push start. I am unfortunately unable to test drive a 2011 Sti cause every dealer I go to creates such a hassle just to test drive. I like the exterior of the Sti cause it looks so mean, sportish and aggressive and the tone of an exhaust on it has such a sexy sound. But the interior is not to attracting and dull. Idk an Sti is what I've always wanted but everyone tells me get a G37 and an Sti is childish. G37 is a nice car too. Could a g37 with i/h/e do pretty good against an Sti with same mods done or will the Sti still outrun a G? I like going fast when im bored as you can see. Is a G respected more than a Sti? Any advice/help I would really appreciate. I know these are a lot of random questions, I just want to make sure I buy the right car it's difficult for me cause I like both cars and both of them have their pros/cons.
Thank you in advance
-Rich
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
I test drove a 2013 wrx sti sedan. Thought it handled ok, stiffer sways wouldn't hurt (similar on the G sedan). The sti's interior does look very dated and cheap. The sti is alot easier to shift however. I think the G gets better gas mileage.

Really, you need drive both cars more than around the block. The most recent sti i test drove was easily 5 miles or longer. Still not much of a test drive, but a whole lot more than around the block.

The sti sedan screams rice with the wing. You can order the car without it if you want.

The G otoh has a learning curve for the 6mt and clutch is very touchy, high uptake, small friction zone. Interior creature comforts are nice. Power is decent. I didn't get mine to race light to light, so 0-60 and 1/4 mi times are not that important. The G's engine has more hp and i believe similar amount of torque. The car does weigh #3700+ though depending on trim.

Are you looking at coupe/sedan?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM
indowanksta88
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyzFinest
Idk an Sti is what I've always wanted but everyone tells me get a G37 and an Sti is childish.
You answered your own question, if you have always wanted an STI, dont let other people tell you what to get. At the end of the day, you are the one that worked to get the car you want. You are not buying it for other people's pleasure, only your own....
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want just pure speed get the sti. There is nothing like a boxer engine with full exhaust set up. I used to have a wrx when i was younger and everyone wanted to race. Its a great car for year round fun. They are easy to get additional power cheaply from. The G on the other hand is more refined and has more luxury and technology. Even with all the bolt ons, you are looking at only 30hp increase. FI for this platform is not cheap 10-15k. The car you choose will depend upon where you are in life. If you're in your 20's get the sti. If you want a vehicle you will not look ridiculous daily driving when you are 40 then get the G.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM
ArmyzFinest

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I test drove a 2013 wrx sti sedan. Thought it handled ok, stiffer sways wouldn't hurt (similar on the G sedan). The sti's interior does look very dated and cheap. The sti is alot easier to shift however. I think the G gets better gas mileage.

Really, you need drive both cars more than around the block. The most recent sti i test drove was easily 5 miles or longer. Still not much of a test drive, but a whole lot more than around the block.

The sti sedan screams rice with the wing. You can order the car without it if you want.

The G otoh has a learning curve for the 6mt and clutch is very touchy, high uptake, small friction zone. Interior creature comforts are nice. Power is decent. I didn't get mine to race light to light, so 0-60 and 1/4 mi times are not that important. The G's engine has more hp and i believe similar amount of torque. The car does weigh #3700+ though depending on trim.

Are you looking at coupe/sedan?
coupe/sedan doesn't really matter to me. I appreciate your advice and opinions and I can definitely agree around the block isn't the best test drive. As for the clutch on the G I thought maybe it was me cause I haven't drove stick in a while but I did notice that friction zone is very small. I am honestly grown out of the light to light 0-60 1/4 mile but I do like to occasionally smoke somebody that wants to antagonize me or an dbag cut me off then try to block me from passing.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM
ArmyzFinest

Originally Posted by indowanksta88
You answered your own question, if you have always wanted an STI, dont let other people tell you what to get. At the end of the day, you are the one that worked to get the car you want. You are not buying it for other people's pleasure, only your own....
I agree with your statement.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM
ArmyzFinest

Originally Posted by godzilla619
If you want just pure speed get the sti. There is nothing like a boxer engine with full exhaust set up. I used to have a wrx when i was younger and everyone wanted to race. Its a great car for year round fun. They are easy to get additional power cheaply from. The G on the other hand is more refined and has more luxury and technology. Even with all the bolt ons, you are looking at only 30hp increase. FI for this platform is not cheap 10-15k. The car you choose will depend upon where you are in life. If you're in your 20's get the sti. If you want a vehicle you will not look ridiculous daily driving when you are 40 then get the G.
Thank You. I am in my late 20's. I have a family and I have my SUV but I would like to have my own car to enjoy. I looked at it the same way. The G has the technology, luxury plus more power than the average car and you look more mature I guess. But an Sti must be loads a fun to drive all year round. I appreciate everyone's input and I guess now when I finally test drive the Sti and G for a good distance that I can feel everything and see what I like more then I will finally make a decision. I appreciate all the feed back guys! Thank You!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmyzFinest
Thank You. I am in my late 20's. I have a family and I have my SUV but I would like to have my own car to enjoy. I looked at it the same way. The G has the technology, luxury plus more power than the average car and you look more mature I guess. But an Sti must be loads a fun to drive all year round. I appreciate everyone's input and I guess now when I finally test drive the Sti and G for a good distance that I can feel everything and see what I like more then I will finally make a decision. I appreciate all the feed back guys! Thank You!
Thank you for your service

Go for the G

I love mine

Name:  WelcomeHome_3571.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  72.7 KB

So does he

Name:  Butgrandpawhynot090212001.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  43.8 KB

My G37 steering wheel makes a nice teething ring

Name:  Babyyoucandrivemycar090212004.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  25.3 KB

Telcoman
Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 PM
venkatsharat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your Service. here is my 2cents: I think the G37 is a very common car (it has become so popular).here in CO ,they are a lot of G's STI is a tech car. my personal fav. It is a harmony between a great engine and a trusted platform.

its a tough choice