Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

What happens on a total loss of a lease?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 PM
stanv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens on a total loss of a lease?

So, my car is going to be a total loss because of Hurrican Sandy. It's my 3rd month on the lease. I made a claim already and I'm wondering what exactly is the process afterwards?
Am I going to find a new lease and get a new vehicle?
How exactly does this work? Thank you!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
First of all, sorry about your loss and glad that you are safe. If you have enough insurance (you should), the policy will pay Infiniti for the car and you'll be done. The insurance company handles this. Then you are free to get another car.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Jawsmv

Pray that the insurance company 'values' the car at at least what you owe. If not, hopefully you have gap insurance.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Jawsmv
Pray that the insurance company 'values' the car at at least what you owe. If not, hopefully you have gap insurance.
So thats when/where "gap" insurance comes in.
The salesman mentioned it when I got my G.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 PM
KENNEDY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike24
So thats when/where "gap" insurance comes in.
The salesman mentioned it when I got my G.
Yes. GAP insurance covers the GAP between your lesser valued car, and higher debt loan.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Almost all leases have GAP. Sometimes depending on the state or company that will provide the financing for the lease, GAP will be a requirement.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Drove into water or car got flooded??
Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 AM
jarvo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, Glad your okay! Sucks about the G.

Gap insurance will cover the difference in value and insurance should take care of most of it, if not all of it.

You need 100/300 insurance plus a minimum $1,000 deductible w/ Infiniti Leases.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:00 AM
stanv

Thanks for all the replies! Just got internet and power back recently. & I live close to the water and never knew how insane this Hurricane was going to hit (living in NYC and never experiencing anything like this before), there was about 5 feet of water around the area....crazy stuff. The worst part about it is that last year there was so much hype about Hurricane Irene and nothing happened besides a strong gust. I heard about this Hurricane maybe a day before it happened and no one made a big deal about it so I sincerely underestimated it. Not the only one though, plenty of new BMW's, MB's, Audi's, etc... gone because of the flooding. I saw a brand new X6, temp plates on still, gone. Sad sight. Of course, nothing compared to what happened to some of the houses. I have family friends that had their house flood an entire floor. Not something you hear happening in NYC. Insane.
Aside from the $1,000 deductible, I haven't heard anything yet. I don't think I've ever heard of this "GAP" insurance thing either. Hopefully other than the deductible there's no other fees because that's just a pain in the ***. I heard a rumor that Infiniti will be giving out a sort of "loyalty" deal to those who lost their cars. I'm definitely crossing my fingers for that, if it's good enough, maybe jump on an M.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM
j23a45m

Originally Posted by stanv
Thanks for all the replies! Just got internet and power back recently. & I live close to the water and never knew how insane this Hurricane was going to hit (living in NYC and never experiencing anything like this before), there was about 5 feet of water around the area....crazy stuff. The worst part about it is that last year there was so much hype about Hurricane Irene and nothing happened besides a strong gust. I heard about this Hurricane maybe a day before it happened and no one made a big deal about it so I sincerely underestimated it. Not the only one though, plenty of new BMW's, MB's, Audi's, etc... gone because of the flooding. I saw a brand new X6, temp plates on still, gone. Sad sight. Of course, nothing compared to what happened to some of the houses. I have family friends that had their house flood an entire floor. Not something you hear happening in NYC. Insane.
Aside from the $1,000 deductible, I haven't heard anything yet. I don't think I've ever heard of this "GAP" insurance thing either. Hopefully other than the deductible there's no other fees because that's just a pain in the ***. I heard a rumor that Infiniti will be giving out a sort of "loyalty" deal to those who lost their cars. I'm definitely crossing my fingers for that, if it's good enough, maybe jump on an M.
this is what they are doing

"Our hearts go out to the millions affected by this week’s devastating storm, and we want to help. For those of you with a storm-related insurance claim on your current vehicle, we can get you mobile again.

Beginning November 1, 2012 through January 2, 2013, Infiniti is offering special employee pricing and financing for those of you affected. We sincerely look forward to helping you resume your normal lives. For additional details and qualification requirements, please contact your local participating Infiniti Retailer or click here to locate the one nearest you."
Old 11-04-2012, 01:59 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
How does the insurance company determine the value for a car, what source does Geico uses?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM
baksdak

Cant remember without pulling out my contract...but pretty sure all leases through IMAC include GAP...
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 AM
venkatsharat

Almost all lease include GAP. did you finance from IFS?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Sinecure

Originally Posted by venkatsharat
Almost all lease include GAP. did you finance from IFS?
/\/\ This. IFS lease will have gap insurance. You should be fine. Maybe out $1000, but no more.

Take Infiniti up on their offer to get you a new vehicle at VPP pricing. New '13 M is sweet - especially with Infiniti Connection built in. Or do a 24 month lease on a G, then turn it in for a new body style G in two years.

Glad you weathered the storm ok, even if your car didn't. We all love our cars too much, but at the end of the day, they're just metal and plastic. They can be replaced. People can't.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 PM
stanv

Originally Posted by Sinecure
/\/\ This. IFS lease will have gap insurance. You should be fine. Maybe out $1000, but no more.

Take Infiniti up on their offer to get you a new vehicle at VPP pricing. New '13 M is sweet - especially with Infiniti Connection built in. Or do a 24 month lease on a G, then turn it in for a new body style G in two years.

Glad you weathered the storm ok, even if your car didn't. We all love our cars too much, but at the end of the day, they're just metal and plastic. They can be replaced. People can't.
Yea, you're absolutely right.
I leased from a leasing company though so I'm not sure how Infiniti will feel about that but I will try giving Infiniti a call next week. I was leasing the G by splitting it with my parents. They were unhappy with it so from what they told me, they no longer want to help me out with paying the lease. 380/month is too much while I'm still a student. So I'm incredibly distraught and agitated but I'm guessing I'm going to have to go with something else. Something no more than 300/m with everything rolled in, currently looking at the Accord Coupe. Absolutely the most upsetting feeling, but on the other hand I can have a car that's completely mine.
I guess in the future I could lease another Infiniti after this lease, but it just sucks, ya' know.

EDIT: Just realized the Accord Coupe is RIDICULOUSLY priced. Damn Honda and their lack of depreciation. I heard a deal on the '13 Altima...I guess that's somewhat my only option.

Last edited by stanv; 11-07-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: What happens on a total loss of a lease?