Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

About to buy a 2008 G37 Coupe, some help/opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 AM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
About to buy a 2008 G37 Coupe, some help/opinions wanted

Hi All,

First post and happy to be here! I looked at a 2008 G37 Coupe today and fell in love. It is OB and 6MT with the sport, premium, navigation, and 4 wheel active-steer packages (basically fully loaded).

The first thing I noticed was the paint/clearcoat which was a city of swirls. Apparently this is the problem with Infiniti paint/clearcoat which worries me a bit. I love black cars but love them even more when they're clean and shiny. Do you guys find it very hard to take care of it and do you find it is worth the additional upkeep? Would you recommend repainting any problem areas such as the bumpers, trunk, and/or doors?

In regards to the options, I can verify it has the sport, premium, and navigation but is there a way I can confirm it has the 4 wheel active-steer system as well? It is advertised but the owner does not have the original window sticker anymore. Would I need to test drive one with and without it back to back to feel the difference? Or would Infiniti USA be able to provide this info if I email them the VIN #?

The last thing I have a question on is some of the badges on the trunk were removed. Is it easy to add them back on in the correct spot to line up perfectly like when it was fresh from the factory?

Thanks everyone and hope to join the club soon!

Last edited by TakmaN; 10-21-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Take a pic of the bottom of the car near the diff. If it has the active steer, there will be some additional hardware near the diff.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 PM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Jsolo! I was able to confirm with Infiniti that the VIN # does have active steering.

As for price, is around $25K for a 2008 G37 Coupe Sport 6MT with 30K miles reasonable? It has the premium, navigation, technology, and 4 wheel active-steer packages (basically everything). I had it checked out at a mechanic and he confirmed it was not in any notable accidents and is in fantastic shape mechanically. The interior is in great condition but the exterior has some minor dings/scratches and the wheels have quite a bit of curb rash.

A car with these options seems to be relatively rare in Southern California as I've only found good deals on models that were not fully loaded and/or had automatic transmissions.

Last edited by TakmaN; 10-24-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
- Nissan black scratches just by looking at it. But with some TLC you can make it pop. But then you'll get scratches that'll make you steam.

- If you are proactive at removing bird crap, don't mind washing at least once a week, look up how to wash a black car to reduce wash-induced swirls (two bucket method, etc), and keep it waxed, you can keep it looking good enough without losing your mind. If you are lazy and expect it to always look good, it won't.

- 30k on a 2008 is pretty low. I don't think you'll see too many that haven't been driven much like this. I don't really drive much and I just hit 35k on mine. I think 25k is a fair price.

- There are special wheel repair places now that typically charge 90-120/wheel to fix rash. They'll make the wheel look brand new by sanding and paint blending rashed portions down. Well worth it if you hate the rash.

- My dad has a non-4WAS coupe and I have 4WAS on mine. I definitely prefer it after having it for a while.

- If you buy new badges, they should come with stencilish stuff so you can place them correctly.