Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Used G37 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
G37enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used G37 coupe

Hey guys, I am in the market for a used G37 coupe and I had a few questions.

1. Is the 2010 model a lot better than the 2009 model? Currently, there are no good 2010 G37s up for sale in my area. There was one but it was just sold two days ago. I know the main difference between the two models is the navigation system, however, I am not sure whether the upgrade is really worth waiting for.

2. Is this G37 reasonably priced?
Cars for Sale: 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey in Duluth, GA 30096: Coupe Details - 321756579 - AutoTrader.com

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 PM
jmueller

29K!! Wow that is high. The 2010 has white faced dials, as opposed to the red from 2009. The navigation system is high definition for 2010 but not for 2009. Obviously you still have remaining warranty with the 2010, but might not have much left for the 2009.

Regardless of what you decide, look for a better price.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:51 PM
G37enthusiast

Alright thanks. What price range do you think I should look at? I know it is a pretty broad question since the price is dependent on many factors.

Premium and navigation packages are a must. Trying to find one with sports package and 7SA like the car that I posted, but its not a deal breaker if the car doesn't have it.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 AM
gooddeal

I think the asking price is reasonable...30K = 27-28K selling price.

A new w/ that options = ~46K MSRP = ~40K selling price...so, 12-13k off a 3 years old car is very good.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 AM
jmueller

I think 27K selling is fine. But 29 is high. If you can get it out the door for 27,500 with tax title, tag.. ext. I think that is a good deal. I paid 28 out the door for my 2010, but it does not have navigation, only premium.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Unlike bmw, there aren't any major visual/mechanical changes over the years and personally having a 2008, I love it that way. I do believe the transmission changed over the years and some cosmetics, along with the introduction of the IPL lineup.

I'm certain you will be happy with whichever year you go with.

If warranty is a concern for you, go with a newer model however from browsing these forums, these cars seem to live forever!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 PM
G37enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've seen some pretty nice 2009 G37s and I'm pretty sure I will go with one of them. I don't think I will need the navigation updates that much.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 PM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by jmueller
I think 27K selling is fine. But 29 is high. If you can get it out the door for 27,500 with tax title, tag.. ext. I think that is a good deal. I paid 28 out the door for my 2010, but it does not have navigation, only premium.
Ouch, here in Philly, to get 27.5K OTD = 25K + 8% tax + titles and fees.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 PM
jmueller

I'm just saying, you gotta negotiate. It never hurts to ask. If its reasonable, the worst they can say is no. $27.5 is reasonable in Florida with nav.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd say the best thing you can do is expand your search area and haggle.

I'm in Colorado and just bought a 2010 G37x with premium and nav in Jersey with 44k miles for $26,250, asking $26,900. I'm guessing the AWD of the x on my vehicle, and the Sports package of this one cancel each other out price-wise. For a bunch less money, I got a 2010, with 15k more (probably) highway miles on it, but with still with a bunch of warranty left. I was thinking the same way when I decided to pull the trigger on mine. The navigation was such a key feature of the purchase, and I was willing to pay the extra for the nav system anyway, why wouldn't I be willing to pay extra for a much better system? Cleaner dash, white displays, revised counsel, newer colors, and a much more capable nav system.

The newer model year will pay off when you go to sell it as well. Besides being 1 year newer, it will still be from the same decade. I know it's stupid, but I've noticed cars from the same decade always seem to retain their values much better than a one year older model ending in 9. It's not that big a difference when buying a 2 or 3 year old car, but between 5 and 12 years old, they are worth disproportionately more, because some people feel they are much newer, and aren't as embarrassed as having a car from the past decade.

On the east coast there's a lot of deals, you should be able to find something relatively close, book a flight on your next day off, and you'll save a lot of money. It will cost you under $500 all in, and it will be the first road-trip with your new car. Expect to save several thousand dollars by doing this, and you'll easily be able to get a 2010 with a 2009 budget.

Also, I notice you using Autotrader. I think it is great to use a lot of sources, especially cars.com and Tempest that searches all of craigslist. I usually find better deals on these versus autotrader.

I ended up getting mine at a BMW dealer. Seeing as the G is the main competitor to the 3 series, I'm sure it was priced to move, so it wouldn't be on their lot long. Better to lose a few thousand on one car, than to lose several sales to the local Infiniti dealer.

When you do find the right deal, you'll know it. Buying a car with a clean history and a good amount of warranty left make this a very low risk situation. When you do find that right car, don't post it like you did or you'll encourage competition. Everyone looking in this site in this area is looking for a G, don't blow your deal by hooking someone else up. If you just list the specs on the site, it's much less likely it will be sold out from under you.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 AM
XCoop

And if you can be patient that helps as well. I needed to make a decision right away and did okay, but if I had the leisure of looking over several months, I would expect to do even better.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new coupe.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 PM
G37enthusiast

Originally Posted by XCoop
I'd say the best thing you can do is expand your search area and haggle.

I'm in Colorado and just bought a 2010 G37x with premium and nav in Jersey with 44k miles for $26,250, asking $26,900. I'm guessing the AWD of the x on my vehicle, and the Sports package of this one cancel each other out price-wise. For a bunch less money, I got a 2010, with 15k more (probably) highway miles on it, but with still with a bunch of warranty left. I was thinking the same way when I decided to pull the trigger on mine. The navigation was such a key feature of the purchase, and I was willing to pay the extra for the nav system anyway, why wouldn't I be willing to pay extra for a much better system? Cleaner dash, white displays, revised counsel, newer colors, and a much more capable nav system.

The newer model year will pay off when you go to sell it as well. Besides being 1 year newer, it will still be from the same decade. I know it's stupid, but I've noticed cars from the same decade always seem to retain their values much better than a one year older model ending in 9. It's not that big a difference when buying a 2 or 3 year old car, but between 5 and 12 years old, they are worth disproportionately more, because some people feel they are much newer, and aren't as embarrassed as having a car from the past decade.

On the east coast there's a lot of deals, you should be able to find something relatively close, book a flight on your next day off, and you'll save a lot of money. It will cost you under $500 all in, and it will be the first road-trip with your new car. Expect to save several thousand dollars by doing this, and you'll easily be able to get a 2010 with a 2009 budget.

Also, I notice you using Autotrader. I think it is great to use a lot of sources, especially cars.com and Tempest that searches all of craigslist. I usually find better deals on these versus autotrader.

I ended up getting mine at a BMW dealer. Seeing as the G is the main competitor to the 3 series, I'm sure it was priced to move, so it wouldn't be on their lot long. Better to lose a few thousand on one car, than to lose several sales to the local Infiniti dealer.

When you do find the right deal, you'll know it. Buying a car with a clean history and a good amount of warranty left make this a very low risk situation. When you do find that right car, don't post it like you did or you'll encourage competition. Everyone looking in this site in this area is looking for a G, don't blow your deal by hooking someone else up. If you just list the specs on the site, it's much less likely it will be sold out from under you.
Thank you very much for your help. I personally won't be doing the haggling, my uncle will. This is the first car that I am purchasing, so I would probably be an amateur at negotiating. My uncle often does mechanical work and purchases a lot of cars (to resell at higher values) so I am pretty sure he will be able to find the best deal for me. However, I will still search those sites and see if they have better deals. Again, thanks for the help!
Old 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM
XCoop

You can have your uncle do the haggling on the phone, and then you can fly to it and drive it back or have an auto transport bring it back for you for a similar price, but it will take a little longer. If you buy from a reputable source, and it's on a car that still has a warranty, it's pretty hard to get screwed. As long as the tires are good, Infiniti will take care of the rest, other than any abuse. You can check the wheels for curb rash, bumpers from parking scuffs and the cockpit for scratches. A good salesman will look closely over the car and tell you what to expect. Or ask them to take larger pixel photos and email them to you to show the car. If your uncle does repair and maintenance, a few extra miles on the car shouldn't concern you as much as other people. Have your uncle read this thread and see if he agrees. I'll bet he'll start expanding his search for cars as well, as if he's reselling cars, this is one of the way to save a lot of money. I figure I saved 6k on my vehicle as opposed to buying local, as AWD cars are so overpriced in CO. It also allows you to get really picky as far as options and colors. You won't have to wait for a 2010. The big depreciation is over after the first couple of years, once the first seller gets rid of it. You'll be able to get a 2010 for your 2009 budget. When the sites ask how many miles from your zipcode, just choose all and you would be surprised at what's out there. If you do your homework, you'll be happy you did for the entire time you have your coupe. Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Bo0m

i got 2009 g37x coupe w/premium&nav for 31k, 14k miles is that good?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM
pillowhead

I just bought a 2009, G37 Coupe , sport, nav, premium, 17,000 miles, not a scratch on it for 26,200+ tax in Utah, dove it back to California. Took some searching but there are some great deals if you look in anarea that doenst need awd. still have a year and half of bumepr to bumper and almosty 4 years of drive train left on the warranty.

Quick Reply: Used G37 coupe