Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Lease Deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
If i lease a car, and put $3K as a down payment, and then it gets stolen 2 months later.... what happens? - My insurance pays what is owed on the car (remaining lease payment amounts + residual). I DO NOT get my $3K back.

Same thing if i buy it. I buy a new car for $40K. I put $3K down. As soon as a drive off the lot it's worth maybe $33K? So it gets stolen 2 months later. Assuming i have gap insurance, i get covered on the outstanding loan balance (which is at this point is still around $39K). Bank gets a check for $39K. I DO NOT get my $3K.

Yes, you lose the money.........
No. You don't.

My 2010 was totaled after 9 months, 10k miles. My insurance company deemed my car too new to go off market value, so I was given MSRP and a prorated amount towards license fees, I believe I even received some towards taxes. I sent them a copy of my window sticker ($45,700). Using that and my VIN my car was valued at nearly $48,000. Anyhow, my car was paid off and the difference was sent to me.

Any amount you pay into your car, regardless of it being a purchase or a lease, reduces your principle balance. Yes, even when you lease you have a "payoff" amount (for the total value of the car, not the lease balance). I can log into the Infiniti site and tell you what mine is right now. I recently paid my lease balance in full. All that means is that in the event of a total loss I can expect to receive a LARGER check than if I hadn't.

Originally Posted by jddssc121
That's not good for you.

This, of course, was in regard to your "2 month" hypothetical sit. Everything I said goes out the window if your car hasn't "aged" well and/or you have **** insurance.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vasher
No. You don't.

My 2010 was totaled after 9 months, 10k miles. My insurance company deemed my car too new to go off market value, so I was given MSRP and a prorated amount towards license fees, I believe I even received some towards taxes. I sent them a copy of my window sticker ($45,700). Using that and my VIN my car was valued at nearly $48,000. Anyhow, my car was paid off and the difference was sent to me.

Any amount you pay into your car, regardless of it being a purchase or a lease, reduces your principle balance. Yes, even when you lease you have a "payoff" amount (for the total value of the car, not the lease balance). I can log into the Infiniti site and tell you what mine is right now. I recently paid my lease balance in full. All that means is that in the event of a total loss I can expect to receive a LARGER check than if I hadn't.

That's not good for you.

This, of course, was in regard to your "2 month" hypothetical sit. Everything I said goes out the window if your car hasn't "aged" well and/or you have **** insurance.
Thanks for helping educate the "internets"