Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Sports package for mountain driving or will it compromise clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Sports package for mountain driving or will it compromise clearance?

I am looking to get a slightly used G37x coupe. I live in the mountains at 7.800 ft, and regularly travel to 12,000 and sometimes to 14,000. I want the AWD, Premium, and Nav packages, but I am wondering if I want the sports package as well? I know I'd like the bigger brakes, tire/wheel package, & tighter handling; but I am concerned about snow. Is the ground clearance significantly reduced? Is there sufficient clearance around the wheel wells or do they clog with snow? Does the front air dam collect or shed snow?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Sports don't sit any lower than Gx. Really though if you are covering that kind of elevation get an SUV. Also where do you drive to hit 14k? I lived in Colorado and never made it that high in my Jeep.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
If I'm reading the spec sheet correctly (2012 Infiniti G37 Coupe Package Options | Infiniti USA Official Site), on the awd coupe, you get everything except the staggered tires. In comparison, on the sedan, you get a whole lot less (2012 Infiniti G25 and G37 Sedan Package Options | Infiniti USA Official Site).

Height wise, it appears the awd coupe (from the specs) is about half an inch higher. I'd say so long as you use actual snow tires and not all season, you'll be ok. I think given the nature of the car, it probably sits slightly lower than your typical family sedan (camry, impala, etc..). The specs don't list a ground clearance, but I recall reading somewhere that it's around 5".
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
XCoop

I already own a SUV, and will keep it for trail, and deep snow. I drive the kind of roads you see on commercials, in fact a lot of them are shot here. I miss unleashing a sports car on those roads, so much fun. It's the difference between driving and just getting there.

I thought it did come with the staggered tires, without it would help in the snow, so that's good to know. I do plan on running dedicated winter tires during the snow season. The front bumper on a non-S seems to taper back, while the S seems like it could be a big snow scoop.

I live in Idaho Springs, the road to Mt. Evans starts here. Highest paved road in the world goes to the top of a 14'er. Loveland Pass is just 10 feet shy of 12k, and Berthoud and Guanella Pass are nearly that high as well. Off-road in Clear Creek County, where I live, (and the location of the rest of the passes already named), many fire roads go above 13.5k.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 AM
XCoop

It's great to know that Sports don't sit any lower than on a standard x. I imagine they do sit lower than when installed on non-x's?

I'll have to check the tire & wheel posts to see what what wheel options I have so I can run higher-profile narrower winter tires. Not sure if the 19's are mandatory to fit over the larger brakes?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by XCoop
I already own a SUV, and will keep it for trail, and deep snow. I drive the kind of roads you see on commercials, in fact a lot of them are shot here. I miss unleashing a sports car on those roads, so much fun. It's the difference between driving and just getting there.

I thought it did come with the staggered tires, without it would help in the snow, so that's good to know. I do plan on running dedicated winter tires during the snow season. The front bumper on a non-S seems to taper back, while the S seems like it could be a big snow scoop.

I live in Idaho Springs, the road to Mt. Evans starts here. Highest paved road in the world goes to the top of a 14'er. Loveland Pass is just 10 feet shy of 12k, and Berthoud and Guanella Pass are nearly that high as well. Off-road in Clear Creek County, where I live, (and the location of the rest of the passes already named), many fire roads go above 13.5k.

Ahhhhh Mount Evans, The highest paved road in North America, forgot about that. It's only open during a VERY short period of time in the summer. I will say I never made the drive. I doubt I would take any car up there even though it is paved. Now that I think about it I have been to the top of Pikes Peak which is a bit over 14k but I did that in a SUV. During the summer months a sports car is a blast there. I loved doing the million dollar highway in a vert.

That all being said myself and everyone I knew had beater SUVs for the winter time (I only left 3 years ago). Mag Chloride sucks! I would never dream of driving a G in the snow there. My awd car never came out in that crap (bought the G after I left). Stick to the SUV in the winter and bring the G out in the summer and rock it!

Oh and is Xcoop have to do with your last name? My last name is Cooper and my family on my Dad's side are many generations of Coloradoans.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any Gx with the sports package will NOT get the lowered sport suspension....therefore you will be fine.

you dont need 19" winter rims to clear the brakes....you will need atleast 18".....and with specific offsets to clear the calipers....not all rims will work
Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 PM
XCoop

No, XCoupe was already taken.

You should drive Mt Evans, way more scenic than Pikes Peak. At Pikes Peak they charge by the number of people in the car. Pretty Pricey. While at Mt. Evans, they now do change by the car, but the charge is less for the carload than one person going up to Pike's Peak. The road is way more curvey than Pikes Peak, and Pikes Peak is not paved. It's the only 4 lane dirt road I've ever seen.

Pikes Peak is famous as it can be seen from Denver, and for the race. If you're not going there for raceday, Mt Evans is much more beautiful and more fun to drive.

I will drive the icy passes with the G, I know the mag chlor sucks, but AWD power slides on snow makes it all worth while!