Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Just purchased 2012 G37 coupe 6 MT

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Dangarza
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just purchased 2012 G37 coupe 6 MT

Hi Guys.
After lurking the forums for a few weeks/months I finally pulled the trigger on Dec. 30th. at Southwest Infiniti in Houston Texas for a 2012 G37 coupe 6MT blue slate with stone interior.
The numbers:
MSRP - $45,230
My price - $41,893
Drive out price - $44,857.91
Took Infinity financing 60 months at 2.9%.
Overall an excellent buying experience; no hassles, cheap tricks or other unfortunate/unforseen/unexpected issues at the dealership.
Hope this helps prospective buyers in Texas.
I drove (still own) a 2005 acura RSX type S (daily driver) and a 2003 Honda S2000 (weekend toy) before this G37
This is my second Nissan after a 28-year hiatus. Had a Sentra in the mid-late 1980's, VW Jetta and Passat in the early 90's, Toyota Supra Turbo Late 90's, then the Hondas and now back to Nissan!
Cheers and thanks G37.com for all the valuable information on this site!
Daniel
Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 AM
alen129

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats man!

I've been looking for the same exact car(6mt coupe Blue slate) for the last 3 months here in So Cal and no one seems to have it, All they have is Black on black. Anyways enjoy your beauty. And post some pics. By the way if I'm not mistaking your ride has the kick plates and cargo net as options with that MSRP correct? How do you like the illuminated kick plates compared to the regular ones?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 AM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the kick plates and they are classy. Love the option...
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Dangarza
Registered Member

Hi Alen 129.
Yes the car did come with the kickplates, cargo net and first aid kit as you mention, bringing the price up a notch.
I would have liked the black interior but 6 MT's are scarce it seems, so I took this one with the light colored interior, we'll see how it holds up.
The illuminated kick plates look trick, but quite frankly... who cares?
I probably would not have gone for them if I had the choice.
I did purchase the infiniti all season rubber floor mats, they match the interior color perfectly and can contain spills, etc.
Given the light-colored interior the first thing I did was purchase a couple cans of scotch guard and treated the carpeting throughout.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Daniel
Old 01-04-2012, 02:27 PM
alen129

Originally Posted by Dangarza
Hi Alen 129.
Yes the car did come with the kickplates, cargo net and first aid kit as you mention, bringing the price up a notch.
I would have liked the black interior but 6 MT's are scarce it seems, so I took this one with the light colored interior, we'll see how it holds up.
The illuminated kick plates look trick, but quite frankly... who cares?
I probably would not have gone for them if I had the choice.
I did purchase the infiniti all season rubber floor mats, they match the interior color perfectly and can contain spills, etc.
Given the light-colored interior the first thing I did was purchase a couple cans of scotch guard and treated the carpeting throughout.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel. Thx for the fast reply. Like you mentioned 6mt is very rare and hard to come by. And I've accepted the fact that my search is gonna be a long one, I would prefer if I can avoid paying for the unnecessary add-ons like cargo net and other options but it seems since the 6mt is considered fully loaded they always include 1 or 2 options if not more.
I'm sure the tan interior looks awesome on your car. I've never seen a blue slate with tan interior and thought blue slate only comes with black leather. But at this point if come across a blue slate no matter what color interior it is ill take it. LOL
place shares some pictures with us! Especially the interior and kickplates if possible.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
You can always special order your car. Get it in the exact color and options you want. Nothing more, nothing less. I chose this route instead of paying the extra $1000+ they wanted to ship a car from somewhere in a color I didn't really want.

My wait was exactly 2 months, although ymmv depending on when they place or modify an existing order.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Who was your sales guy? For service, if you don't have any one yet, I'd recommend Omar. He's a cool guy and always takes good care of me whenever I bring my car in.

Any thought of getting rid of the RSX? Let me know, I am local
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Dangarza
Registered Member

Hi Hadokenuh. Thanks for the tip. I live in Laredo, TX and commute to Monterrey, Mexico on weekends.
Most of the maintenance on my cars and bikes is done by me. If something big or complicated occurs with the G37 I will probably take it to infiniti in Monterrey but nonetheless your info is appreciated.
As for the RSX yes, if you're interested it's a type S, 6 speed, silver with black interior, bone stock, one owner (me) and 109,000 basically highway miles from this commute I do. Oil changes every 5k mi. with mobil 1. I'll let it go for 10K.
Pics available on request.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM
alen129

Originally Posted by Jsolo
You can always special order your car. Get it in the exact color and options you want. Nothing more, nothing less. I chose this route instead of paying the extra $1000+ they wanted to ship a car from somewhere in a color I didn't really want.

My wait was exactly 2 months, although ymmv depending on when they place or modify an existing order.
Jsolo, Actually I did ask my sales guy to order the car for me but what he said made me very uneasy that's why I chose to wait until I can find the exact car I want to come in. He said that I gotta put a small deposit down and they'll order the car for me which I'm fine with me, I don't mind waiting and ill get exactly what I want but then he added that on the day I order the car we wont be able to talk numbers and we gotta wait until the car comes in and then talk numbers and go with whatever lease program Infinti has for that particular month. In my mind this causes a problems:
The dealer knows I want this exact car and have to get it(because of the deposit) that's why they will do absolutely no negotiation on the price and to gain my business. I'm afraid I'm gonna end up paying MSRP or very close to it.
How was your ordering experience? Did you have to wait for the car to come in then talk numbers??
Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
You can always negotiate a price. Using sites like truecar you already know what invoice is.

The variables are the incentives and lease promos. In my case this wasn't applicable - I wasn't leasing. In your case, this means that you're subject to whatever specials infiniti has in place at time of delivery to you. The deposit is reasonable. I wouldn't put more than $500-1K down. On your agreement, you should be able to negotiate everything, all the fees and other costs. You can even have them sign off on language pertaining to customer & DEALER INCENTIVES (ie: dealer cash) available at time of delivery.

In my case, a price was agreed upon before ordering. I also had a trade in that was taken possession of at the time the papers were signed (this made things interesting). This left me with little leverage. Also, they fudged some numbers on the initial sales order, I didn't catch it until the very end (make sure the math on your paperwork adds up correctly). Finally, at the end they tacked on a $125 "warranty supplemental expense charge". In the end, these extra fees didn't add up to too much, but it was still unpleasant. If I do this again in the future, there will be no trade in. Straight purchase. We agree to a final OTD price (subject to reduction by any customer/dealer incentives (negotiate to at least 50-70% on the dealer incentives)), and not a penny more. If they try to pull cr@p like this again, then they lose the sale. I think these special orders are gravy for the dealers. You know exactly what you want, there's minimal time spent figuring out options, etc. They just need to agree to a price you're happy with and fulfill the order.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
hadokenuh

Hi Hadokenuh. Thanks for the tip. I live in Laredo, TX and commute to Monterrey, Mexico on weekends.
Most of the maintenance on my cars and bikes is done by me. If something big or complicated occurs with the G37 I will probably take it to infiniti in Monterrey but nonetheless your info is appreciated.
As for the RSX yes, if you're interested it's a type S, 6 speed, silver with black interior, bone stock, one owner (me) and 109,000 basically highway miles from this commute I do. Oil changes every 5k mi. with mobil 1. I'll let it go for 10K.
Pics available on request.
That's pretty far from Houston then That's a nice RSX-S there but 10K is a little high for what I have in mind. Thanks though!

By the way, how do you like the S2000 vs. RSX-S? I am thinking to get one of these. Are there any common problems with the S2000 that I should be looking for?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Dangarza
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
That's pretty far from Houston then That's a nice RSX-S there but 10K is a little high for what I have in mind. Thanks though!

By the way, how do you like the S2000 vs. RSX-S? I am thinking to get one of these. Are there any common problems with the S2000 that I should be looking for?
Hey H: S2000 is truly an awesome little car. Differentials have been known to fail if the car is abused. The transmission in the 1-2 shift needs to be a little slow to avoid a "crunch" sound if you shift too quickly. Issue with synchros from factory, ALL cars have it and no, it's not poor shifting technique.
Engine: They consume some oil (this is NORMAL) so you need to check the oil level with some regularity.
My car with 27,000 miles has been absolutely trouble-free and a joy to drive topless, few cars can match its simplicity, light weight, lack of electronic nannies, 9,000 rpm redline and rifle bolt transmission. You need to drive it with good technique though, lift off mid corner and it will bite you.
The RSX is really a great little coupe, I drive it more and it is a lot easier to drive fast since it is a FWD vehicle and extremely well balanced and lightweight, if it was convertible it would be better than the S2000 IMHO.
It has a great factory Bose sound system, great seats (better than those on the S2000) and huge luggage space with back seats folded.
In a word, it is the sensible choice if you have a family or do chores often, it is bomb proof reliable as well.
I have 109,000 miles on it and still on the original clutch, zero visits to the dealership; ZERO in nearly 7 years of ownership!
Maintenance is ridiculously easy and cheap.
I would have never bought the G37 but the RSX with over 100K miles and nearly 7 years old is beggining to worry me on those long commutes to Mexico, I hope the G37 turns out to be as reliable as the Hondas.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Daniel
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 AM
hadokenuh

Hey H: S2000 is truly an awesome little car. Differentials have been known to fail if the car is abused. The transmission in the 1-2 shift needs to be a little slow to avoid a "crunch" sound if you shift too quickly. Issue with synchros from factory, ALL cars have it and no, it's not poor shifting technique.
Engine: They consume some oil (this is NORMAL) so you need to check the oil level with some regularity.
My car with 27,000 miles has been absolutely trouble-free and a joy to drive topless, few cars can match its simplicity, light weight, lack of electronic nannies, 9,000 rpm redline and rifle bolt transmission. You need to drive it with good technique though, lift off mid corner and it will bite you.
The RSX is really a great little coupe, I drive it more and it is a lot easier to drive fast since it is a FWD vehicle and extremely well balanced and lightweight, if it was convertible it would be better than the S2000 IMHO.
It has a great factory Bose sound system, great seats (better than those on the S2000) and huge luggage space with back seats folded.
In a word, it is the sensible choice if you have a family or do chores often, it is bomb proof reliable as well.
I have 109,000 miles on it and still on the original clutch, zero visits to the dealership; ZERO in nearly 7 years of ownership!
Maintenance is ridiculously easy and cheap.
I would have never bought the G37 but the RSX with over 100K miles and nearly 7 years old is beggining to worry me on those long commutes to Mexico, I hope the G37 turns out to be as reliable as the Hondas.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Daniel
Wow, thanks a lot for the detailed response. Yeah I am looking to buy one of these as a weekend toy so backseat and luggage space shouldn't be an issue for me. Honda needs to bring back one of these awesome machines these days. Damn, I miss my Prelude

My G has been pretty reliable except for the weird auto transmission that has its own mind. Other than that, it does exactly what's supposed to do. You'll enjoy it, specially with the MT.