Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Carmax advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 PM
DjFromVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmax advice

whats goin on everyone?

I plan on getting deployed at the end of the year for 6-7 months and when i get back i want to upgrade from my 04 srt-4 to an 08 g37s 6mt, now i plan on buying my car from carmax, spending no more than 30k and no more than 25-30k miles on it, now ive done alot of reading and ive seen how ppl who have bought used cars from them have gotten alot of lemon cars.....now thats what im trying to avoid . Now i understand that sometimes lemons come out of the blue, but i want to find this problem b4 it well u kno.

my question is even tho carmax says it does one of those inspections, should i go and get it inspected at a dealership myself?, and is it even worth it to do so?
Also do you kno how much an inspection like that may run me $$?

any and all advice you can give would be great, thanks again!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
My $0.02 is to avoid Carmax.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
DjFromVA

welllllllllll can i get more than just 2 cents, how a bout a $1 ? lol but honistly why u say that?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 PM
esquesk

Originally Posted by DjFromVA
welllllllllll can i get more than just 2 cents, how a bout a $1 ? lol but honistly why u say that?
Swing by and get a quote from them on your SRT4 and you'll know why.

They really only inspect for body damage and if the car starts up and sounds like it isn't missing parts.

They're really good at the above, but when it comes to whether or not the car actually runs well... Most of the time they don't even take them for a test drive.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM
dopetime

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
selling a car to carmax is great tho based on my own personal experience. have never bought from them tho. Buying a used car is always a gamble whether it be at the dealer or carmax. **** even buying a new car is lol. you can get a lemon either way! Not much experience buying used cars either tho but my suggestion would be to have a mechanic do a thorough inspection of it, not necessarily at the dealer.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got my G Certified Pre Owned from a Infiniti DEaler and im glad i did. I have had them replaced the whole clutch assembly, flywheel, transmission, and a rear axle under warranty no questions asked. Except for the axle the service manager kinda accused me of racing it. Anyway if i didnt have a warranty these would have been expensive repairs
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 PM
aexis

For 08 Certified Pre-owned is less stress as you get the warranty with it. The 09-10's still have their original warranties though for a few more years so shouldn't be too much to worry about if you get a newer one.

You should post this in buying/leasing subforum for better feedback

Buying & Leasing - MyG37
Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 PM
1slowvq37

Location: Real Del Mar Baja California Mexico , Chula Vista CA
whats goin on everyone?

I plan on getting deployed at the end of the year for 6-7 months and when i get back i want to upgrade from my 04 srt-4 to an 08 g37s 6mt, now i plan on buying my car from carmax, spending no more than 30k and no more than 25-30k miles on it, now ive done alot of reading and ive seen how ppl who have bought used cars from them have gotten alot of lemon cars.....now thats what im trying to avoid . Now i understand that sometimes lemons come out of the blue, but i want to find this problem b4 it well u kno.

my question is even tho carmax says it does one of those inspections, should i go and get it inspected at a dealership myself?, and is it even worth it to do so?

Bought my g37S from carmax last September, based on my personal experiense 9/10. Test drove the car, did a visual inspection and bought the car fax ( even tho they gave me a copy, I wanted to make sure the one the gave wasen't fake) Car was a lease return and it was leased by a lady. I also bought the extende warranty just in case. The only bad thing the car needed clay bar real bad! had water sport on all windows, but nothing that a a few zaino products and a 12 pack of coronas can solve.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 AM
DjFromVA

hmmmm ight i see , ill repost to get better info, thanks for the help yall
Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
whats goin on everyone?

Lol you say now a lot!!! :P

Why are you limiting yourself to carmax? I got my 08 6MT almost a year ago for less than what you are looking to pay with similar mileage.
Have an Infiniti dealership do an oil change on it and ask them to check it out for you. That's $50. Or you could have a proper inspection done anywhere from $100-300.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:32 AM
DjFromVA

well the reason im lookin towards carmax is because im not the best car buyer, and idk honistly i feel like it would b a safer bet goin with them
Old 07-07-2011, 02:23 AM
voltic

Don't buy from Carmax. Check Infiniti's pre-owned lot. Not that what I say has much weight, I bought my G from a Nissan dealer, lol.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 AM
PixelBoy21

Because it is still under factory warranty like stated above. My advice would be to find the cleanest low mileage one owner car you can. Carmax always seemed high prisewise to me. I'd buy from a private seller if possible. You have a better chance getting all the details on the car. A forum member is even better.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off I want to say hey. I went from an 05 SRT to an 09 G37 10 months ago. Not going to lie I doo miss the raw, loud, aggressive SRT sometimes, but don't regret buying the G for a second. You will absolutely love it. Just a different style of car all together, just wish I could have kept both and big turbo'ed the SRT.

Second, I bought mine from an Infiniti dealer. They did have me go to Carmax for a trade in appraisal because they gave me a higher trade in value than the Infiniti dealer, but the dealer said they would match carmax.

When I was looking carmax prices always seemed to be a little on the high end. I did look at carmax but couldnt find the exact car I wanted in my price range. I would say keep your options open dont limit yourself to just a carmax car.

Infiniti CPO>Carmax
Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM
daviefl86

whats goin on everyone?

my friend bought a car at carmax .. he isn't very happy with it. i think the best thing at carmax is to sell a car as they give cash on spot. i m selling 2008 g37 with Navi,Premium,Technical packages for $29,500. its on craiglist now. it has only 26,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Carmax advice